R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFactory Reinforced Floor in R-Pod 179

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Factory Reinforced Floor in R-Pod 179
    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 7:16pm
Have you actually experienced the scenario you're concerned about? I never have. 

There's nothing on the axle swing arm to push against. 

If you really want to do what you're suggesting I think you should consider swapping the torsion axle for a leaf spring axle, not expensive at all and you could get a higher rated one and put air bladders between that and the rpod frame to adjust the ride height. One benefit of a leaf spring axle is that it doesn't transfer torque to the frame during bump loads like a torsion axle does and it has two frame attachment locations, much easier on the frame overall.  It would be an interesting project for sure. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by offgrid

Marketers doing photo shoots can stage anything anywhere.
Agreed.
With all due respect StephenH, that article is worthless. The authors are towing a geoPro 19 FBS which has an dry weight of 3075 lbs and a GW of 4400 with a Jeep with a 3500 lb tow capacity. In my opinion they are an accident waiting to happen and are either idiots or worse are shilling for FR in a way that puts others at risk. I wouldn't believe a word they say.
It is some people's opinions, not a professional evaluation. I thought it interesting to see that some people are taking them off-road, although I agree that they are taking risks towing with that limited a tow vehicle. The point is that the NoBo is better suited than the RPod for such off-road situations.
If anyone is considering a GeoPro or a NoBo for actual rough road boondocking use they should take a very close look at its wheels, tires, axle(s), frame, floor, and interior construction. Not saying that a NoBo or GeoPro can't go offroad, just that you can't assume it can just because FR markets it that way.  Caveat emptor, you get what your pay for, etc....
Again, agreed! One should look and evaluate whether any model from any manufacturer will meet the desired needs. One point stated in the article was that units even better suited for off-road (Black Series and Brüder) cost twice as much.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 7:28am
I'm fine with all that except the part about that article being just someone's opinion. They are getting paid for publishing their cute little website. That makes them professionals, by definition. People reading their materials will inevitably rely upon them in making decisions. As professionals they have a duty to get things right.

So yes the words matter and its really annoying and ignorant that they don't know the difference between tandem and dual. But the numbers matter more. 

Consider that they are actually stating in writing and documenting with photos that they are engaging in an illegal act. Towing a trailer with an improperly equipped vehicle. Their GeoPro has a listed tongue weight of 413 lbs. The Wrangler max tongue weight is 350 lbs. That is negligent behavior on their part. 

With this kind of nonsense all over the web its no wonder we constantly have folks on this forum trying to tow trailers with inadequate tow vehicles.  We were better off in the pre-internet days when it cost real $$ to get published. That screened out most of this kind of nonsense. If I was the web police I'd shut down that website and confiscate their laptop. Thumbs Down
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 8:14am
Their sponsorship is of their Jeep builds. I don't see anything that they are being paid to publish their blog or web site other than that. I don't see advertisements on the site except links for Facebook, Instragram, etc. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 8:39am
Getting paid for publishing content is getting paid. And if they are Jeep experts then they should be expected to know those vehicle's limitations. 

In fact they do know. They eventually concluded that the Wrangler was inadequate and swapped the GeoPro for a class A:

So now they have documented that they know they had an inadequate TV but neglected to amend the original article to clarify that. Oops...
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 9:24am
When we replaced our 172, we wanted a trailer that could manage some bumpy Forest Service roads, though certainly not jeep trails.  We looked at new r-Pods, Vista Cruisers, No-Bo's, Geo-Pros, and Sonomas.  When I was trying to check out some of the specifications I spoke with a Forest River person who told me that they had moved production of the single axle Sonomas from Rialto, CA to Hemet, CA where they make No-Bo's and Geo-Pros, due to a point of work access issue for the narrower trailers.  

As I didn't like the layouts of the Geo-Pros and No-Bo's along with their inflated price, we settled on the Sonoma for the following reasons:  1. It has a full bath that I preferred for my old bones.  2. We liked the larger refrigerator and 3 burner stove that was not available on many of the other trailers in the weight class in which we were looking.  3.  The frame and wheel construction appeared to be more able to handle bumpy road conditions with I-beam frame rails, a non-cantilevered axle with leaf springs , a relatively short tongue, and higher ground clearance than we were able to achieve with our lifted 172.  4.  A 7' wide reasonably roomy interior not needing mirror extensions for our truck and no slide out which can be a source of leaks and other problems [at least one would glean from the pages of this forum].  5.  It was several thousand dollars less costly than the comparable r-Pod 192, likely due to brand name inflation since the trailers were nearly identical in other respects.

So far, the heavy I-beam chassis has worked well for our camping this summer.  We have been able to manage some pretty bumpy roads and have had no issues frame or suspension issues.  We're off again in a few hours for more Sierra Nevada camping.  So far there are no fires in the area where we'll be staying, but that can change in a heartbeat.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 7:38pm
Dang claim jumpers....

Tongue
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Scottalot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 5:53pm
Thanks for your reply, Offgrid.
Yes, I have actually experienced not being able to continue down an otherwise very passable trail or road do to dip or hump that would have the back end drag - stabilizer jacks removed. One time, I had to back down and was lucky to find a tiny wash on the side of the road to barely back into, which still required a 27 point turn to get turned around. Oh, and it was night time in a wind storm. A fun adventure in the end, but a bit hair raising, and all of which could have been avoided with a little extra height. 

I like the leaf spring idea. Do any of you know of anyone who has done a conversion like this or what kind of a fab shop could/should do it? I would want help to pick out the correct axle, springs, and air bags.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123