R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFactory Reinforced Floor in R-Pod 179

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Factory Reinforced Floor in R-Pod 179
    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 5:17pm
I would really like to lift my 179 to be able to get into more off-road places and I have thought of several different things - taller spacers (I already have the Hood River edition), larger wheels, maybe even air bags. Ideally, it would be great to keep it low for highway driving and then be able to pump it up when going off road. I am not sure what can be done with the stock axle and I fear it could be cost prohibitive to replace the axle...although it could be the only way to also get larger wheels with larger than 15" rims. 
Any and all thoughts welcome. 
Oh, and, offgrid, how did you reinforce you axle?
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 9:15am
I would be cautious about lifting the trailer higher than the lift kit already does. 

A couple of reasons: it will raise the center of gravity which will increase the tendency for the trailer to sway. It will also increase the load on the trailer frame at the axle attachment location. If you hit a bump there is a lever action trying to push the wheels up and backward which has to be resisted by the frame which gets pushed up at the back of the riser bracket and down at the front. There is at least one known case where a frame has been bent at that point, it is only a 4x2x0,1 inch tube and pretty marginal for the loads it has to carry to start with. If you do lift it I would suggest reinforcing the frame at the same time. 

Also, if you lift the pod you will increase the frontal area of your rig and reduce your fuel economy, assuming you care about that. 

The other question I have is why do you want to lift? Rpods are not off road capable, they aren't designed for that. At the most, I take mine on improved forest service roads and when I encounter pot holes I can't drive around I crawl through them at much less than walking speed. I have 15 inch wheels and the lift kit and I've never once bottomed out. If you want to do real off road travel there are trailers designed for that purpose that are going to hold up much better than a lightly constructed rPod will. 

I have a thread on my axle reinforcement that posted in the first half of 2019 IIRC, you can use the advanced search to find it. If you can't find it let me know. I used a piece of 3x3 inch steel angle slightly shorter than the axle, had it bent up slightly in the center, and attached it to the bottom of the axle using 2 square ubolts placed as far outboard as possible at each end. My approach requires no welding, others have come up with different solutions. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 1:03pm

Originally posted by Scottalot

I would really like to lift my 179 to be able to get into more off-road places and I have thought of several different things - taller spacers (I already have the Hood River edition), larger wheels, maybe even air bags. 

If the trail you plan to articulate on or thru is so rough, dimpled, rocky, muddy, sandy, stepped, potholed, sloped, rutted, snowy, brushy, or other wise so gnarly that your hood-river edition wont handle it, then neither will the other parts, components, and structure of the r-pod..at least, not for very long.

I have an axle riser kit and removed the tongue jack and the rear stabilizer jacks, giving me a lot of ground clearance and possibility for articulation, and despite my best judgement, I took my 171 on some very nasty trails last year...trust me, the way the r-pod bucks and shakes and bounces and wiggles, I never wanna do that again.

Crap inside was scattered and tossed all over. Cabinet doors were open and hinges were bent and busted. Everything in the fridge was tossed, shaken, mixed, broken, busted, spilled, and stirred. I did not plan on doing it that time, but other campers leading the way had assured me it was doable. Note to self: Walk the trail first next time!

"Right tool for the job" sir, and the r-pod aint the right tool for that job. It just isn't.

I'm pretty sure you plan on ignoring this advice, I can tell by your post. So...I'll volunteer to "hold your beer and watch this!"

NEXT!
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 2:50pm
The NoBo (No Boundaries) line would be more suited to your purposes. I also did the axle reinforcement. You can find it in my mods. I did a pretty good write-up on how I did the modification. I am pretty sure it has helped.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by StephenH

The NoBo (No Boundaries) line would be more suited to your purposes. I also did the axle reinforcement. You can find it in my mods. I did a pretty good write-up on how I did the modification. I am pretty sure it has helped.

Has anyone inspected the structure of the NoBo trailers?  I wouldn't assume that its significantly more robust than the rPod line without taking a close look. FR is clearly very conscious of image and rather less of substance, so it could be for show. There are purpose built off road trailers from other builders. 

As for the axle reinforcement, unless there were many trailers on the road with reinforced axles and none of them failed you really can't know statistically that it helps.  I'm certain that it helps because the structural analysis says it does. Structural engineers build bridges and buildings all the time based on those calcs, if its good enough for them....

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 4:52pm
Some of the pictures of the NoBo trailers show them in off-road situations. The ground clearance is definitely higher than that of the RPods. This may help:

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Some of the pictures of the NoBo trailers show them in off-road situations. The ground clearance is definitely higher than that of the RPods. This may help:

Marketers doing photo shoots can stage anything anywhere. 

With all due respect StephenH, that article is worthless. The authors are towing a geoPro 19 FBS which has an dry weight of 3075 lbs and a GW of 4400 with a Jeep with a 3500 lb tow capacity. In my opinion they are an accident waiting to happen and are either idiots or worse are shilling for FR in a way that puts others at risk. I wouldn't believe a word they say.

If anyone is considering a GeoPro or a NoBo for actual rough road boondocking use they should take a very close look at its wheels, tires, axle(s), frame, floor, and interior construction. Not saying that a NoBo or GeoPro can't go offroad, just that you can't assume it can just because FR markets it that way.  Caveat emptor, you get what your pay for, etc....
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 6:11pm
I clicked on that link hoping to learn something... but for me, the article is un-readable...over and over again they keep referring to 'dual axles'....

In the topic and world of transportation, trailers, and the like: duals are side-by-side wheels, but axles, one in front of the other, are tandems. 

I just cant take an author (who is being paid to write this stuff) seriously enough to read their words if they can't go the effort to even get the basics right. It's like calling the fuel tank on a diesel truck, the 'gas tank'...or calling the main rotor on a helicopter, the 'propeller'...

ARRGHH! 

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Scottalot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 6:17pm
Thanks all for your input...I certainly found the right crowd to discuss this with and none of your comments will be ignored :)
GOAL: My intention is far from going overlanding or through the Rubicon. Although that sounds great, I know R-Pods are not the unit for it. Further, from experience, I take the point about the Pod contents getting yard-saled inside on rough roads, and I do appreciate the structural challenges and I do like getting the best MPG possible. However, the problem I am trying to solve for is getting stuck, scraping, or having to back out or turn around due to a simple wash or swale that has just the right (wrong) angles for me to get through, especially when the rest of the road is totally passable. Really frustrating, especially when it's just a matter of a couple of inches.

SOLUTION: Raise the Pod permanently, or better, be able to raise the Pod when needed. After reviewing your comments and some of your past mods, here's my latest thought. Starting with reenforcing the frame section above the axle connection and across to the opposite frame rail (basically cross-brace or box in that whole area), how about then building in some outriggers, similar to StephenH's slideout-floor-supports, mounted above the axle that could be used to push against so that a pneumatically actuated airbag could be mounted between the outrigger and the end of the axle swing arm (attached somehow). Then, when you come to a place where you need more clearance, you just pump up the bags and through you go. How about that?

Now, I have in mind some pitfalls and challenges with this idea, but I would love to hear those of this distinguished panel first :)    

BTW, I'm not a fan of the NoBo interior layouts and I personally think using that much space for a camping bathroom is a waste. Lucky for me, my wife agrees...we love our Pod.

Finally, I couldn't find photos of axle or frame mods from anyone and would greatly appreciate forwarding of those, if you don't mind. THANKS!

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 6:20pm
Geez, "duals" to me means two tires side by side, "dual" with axles applied, means two axles. Axles is the identifier, words mean something. I went to school in TX, and I get it.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>