R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFactory Reinforced Floor in R-Pod 179

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Factory Reinforced Floor in R-Pod 179
    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 2:51pm
About a year ago FR fixed a floor sag issue in the kitchen area on my 2017 R-Pod 179. I was asked about this on another post on this site and so I am posting two links here. It was a lengthy process that ended well and even after a year the solution seems to be working very well. 

This first video link talks to some warranty issues around the floor of my 179. You can fast forward to time 6:00 or so and forward if you want to skip the full background: 

Also, here is where I use a stud finder to identify where the floor supports are in the 179: 

All the best!

~PP
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 3:15pm
Great video, good to know. So glad we can do stuff like this on this site. on the facebook page it would probably be banned. thanks 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 7:28pm
Thank you. That is very helpful. I am going to check out ours and see if I can fabricate an additional support bar or two. Since I have not noticed softness in ours, I may be able to just use the support bars without having to add a layer of plywood.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 7:58pm
After I drilled into my floor and installed the table pedestal, I considered adding a piece across the frame on the underside, nearly identical to what the factory did. I have not gotten around to it but I plan to...'someday'...

BTW I thought you traded off the r-pod and had bought some other brand of trailer....

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 8:14pm
I kept the R-Pod 179 and still use it even though I used my Keystone Bullet for this past winter escape. The cost to store and insure a trailer like the Pod is very minimal in Michigan and I still enjoy the ability to get into smaller slots at various places. Now I am toying with the idea of making the 179 into a true boondock-ready trailer, which would come in very handy right now.
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 9:13pm
I boondock with mine, or at least I did before the pandemic. I've only hooked up a couple of times in transit, but normally my destinations have been, no-hook-ups. 

I plan to go back to camping after the summer heat is over, I dont plan to go too far, and around here, its just really too hot to boondock. I've waited 6 months, I can wait 2 more!
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 6:34am

We almost exclusively boondock in ours also. The layout and size is near the perfect boondocking platform for a couple I think. The narrower width than the "wide" rpods improves visibility on the road, and I don't need trailer mirrors on the SUV, which are a nuisance. I wouldn't want to tow one of the bigger pods with my Highlander anyway. I can pretty much get into any drive up campsite with my rig, including dispersed campsites with light off road access and undeveloped forest service camps. Just drive very slowly on rough roads. 

Nice big kitchen area well separated from the sleeping area so I can make coffee early in the morning without disturbing my wife, and the slide makes for a separate eating and living area without being cramped into a conventional RV dinette. I personally despise those. 

Some folks dislike the wet bath but we find it not a problem at all, its not a space we spend any time in anyway. Other folks dislike the bed access but for us its fine, we wind up shifting sides once during the night, not a big deal. Plenty of storage, too much really, gotta watch the weight especially when hauling water boondocking. 

As for converting the 179 to a full on boondocking setup, there are a few things required. First, you need a lift kit and I reinforced my axle and went to higher capacity tires and wheels. 12V power points, 12V fans, 12V TV, and usb power points. Dual GC2 batteries. Small backup generator, converted to propane so no messing with gasoline. Easystart on the a/c. I've really not changed anything in the interior of the trailer at all, except getting a real mattress, I think FR did a great job as is. 

I had big plans to convert to a mini split a/c, a high capacity 24V lithium battery system and big roof solar array, but am holding off as our use profile has changed (or will post quarantine). We used to live in  coastal NC and had to have a/c there but now that we live in the Appalachians I'm waiting to see if that is going to be needed. I doubt it, it doesn't really get that hot here. the fans can do the job. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 8:52am
Originally posted by offgrid

We almost exclusively boondock in ours also. The layout and size is near the perfect boondocking platform for a couple I think. The narrower width than the "wide" rpods improves visibility on the road, and I don't need trailer mirrors on the SUV, which are a nuisance. I wouldn't want to tow one of the bigger pods with my Highlander anyway. I can pretty much get into any drive up campsite with my rig, including dispersed campsites with light off road access and undeveloped forest service camps. Just drive very slowly on rough roads.
We have not been off road much, but my wife and I like the size and layout of the 179 as well. I do like towing mirrors on our Frontier. I purchased a set from 1A Auto  (https://www.1aauto.com) to replace the stock mirrors on the Frontier. However, that is a personal choice.

{QUOTE]Nice big kitchen area well separated from the sleeping area so I can make coffee early in the morning without disturbing my wife, and the slide makes for a separate eating and living area without being cramped into a conventional RV dinette. I personally despise those.[/QUOTE]Ditto. I hung a curtain across the opening between the wall on the dinette side and the corner of the wardrobe on the door side. That also is nice for letting my wife sleep in.

Some folks dislike the wet bath but we find it not a problem at all, its not a space we spend any time in anyway. Other folks dislike the bed access but for us its fine, we wind up shifting sides once during the night, not a big deal. Plenty of storage, too much really, gotta watch the weight especially when hauling water boondocking.
No problem with the wet bath for us. We don't mind it. I'm sure we could carry even more, but weight would also be a concern.

As for converting the 179 to a full on boondocking setup, there are a few things required. First, you need a lift kit and I reinforced my axle and went to higher capacity tires and wheels. 12V power points, 12V fans, 12V TV, and usb power points. Dual GC2 batteries. Small backup generator, converted to propane so no messing with gasoline. Easystart on the a/c. I've really not changed anything in the interior of the trailer at all, except getting a real mattress, I think FR did a great job as is.
If a lift kit is not already installed, it would be a good idea. We still have the 14" wheels but with LR-D tires. 12V power points and USB charging points are a must. I would say instead of dual GC2 batteries, go with a single 100A LiFePO4 if your budget can afford it. You would save about 90 lbs by doing so. As for generators, I just ordered a dual-fuel Firman 3200 generator from Costco for $779.99 plus sales tax, shipping was free. It is a bit larger and heavier than the Generac iX2000 I have been using, but I won't have to carry gasoline containers and it will run the AC with more extra capacity for other things.

I had big plans to convert to a mini split a/c, a high capacity 24V lithium battery system and big roof solar array, but am holding off as our use profile has changed (or will post quarantine). We used to live in  coastal NC and had to have a/c there but now that we live in the Appalachians I'm waiting to see if that is going to be needed. I doubt it, it doesn't really get that hot here. the fans can do the job.
Since I installed the Micro-Air EasyStart, I won't think about changing to a mini split. I don't think I could put enough solar on the roof of the RPod to be able to run the AC in any case. I did also purchase a single Renogy 100W solar suitcase for those times when there would be adequate sunlight and no need to run the air conditioner or other high-power appliances such as the convection-microwave.

Even with suspension modifications, the RP179 would by no means be a suitable overland vehicle. It still would need relatively smooth paved or unpaved roads. I would not want to challenge the structure with off-road driving. The No-Bo models are more suited for that purpose.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 10:52am
FYI on this as Costco has a deal for members on Lion Energy Safari UT1300 Lithium batteries. $749 for one, $1400 for two. Seems like a reasonable deal given the Lion Energy site has these listed at $999 ea.

https://www.costco.com/lion-energy-safari-ut1300.product.100535965.html
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 1:06pm
If you can't get in on the Costco deal, this is the one I purchased. I am very happy with it.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>