R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWFCO Power Converter Smoking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: WFCO Power Converter Smoking
    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 2:01pm
Sorry, it is sold. Check Amazon though. That is probably the fastest way to get a new one and if I recall correctly, the most reasonable price online.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
fishinfool View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 12:56pm
Hi StephenH,

I'm looking for a WF-8955-MBA. Do you still have one for sale?

Thanks,
2015 182G
'90 F-150
4.9L,I6,3:08R
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 6:59pm
Yes, good point. Even experts can make mistakes, or misunderstand things. But normally those guys (or gals) have liability insurance....if they make an error, then you get to file a claim.

And this amplifies exactly my point: Misunderstandings can certainly happen, over the phone, on the internet, and in person. 

None of this is directed to the OP and his abilities...although something happened:

Originally posted by FrankTank

I did wire the outlet myself, I took power from a old water heater connection ( pretty sure its 120v because it's a single breaker)

Say I did wire it incorrectly 240 instead of 120v, would this be a similar outcome?

When it comes to a home electrical service panel with high voltages and lots of amps just waiting and ready to do interesting things, 'pretty sure' is not what we want to hear. If not 100% sure, the voltages should be verified with a meter.

Just sayin.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 5:56pm
Unfortunately, it isn't always amateurs messing around that lead to these situations. I have read about people wanting a 30A RV outlet and the "professional electrician" wiring it up as a 240V outlet instead. One has to be very careful to specify that one wants a 110V RV outlet, not a 220V outlet. Then one needs to verify that it was done correctly before plugging anything in.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
FrankTank View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 2:32pm
I will end up swapping the capacitors to have a spare board. I have done with to my Bass amp before and It was easy. Just need a desoldering iron. 

The abundance of information is a great thing about the internet, so there will always be information on DIY. 
2017 R-POD 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by podwerkz

Offgrid, gotta hand it to ya, I would simply NEVER try to explain house wiring, circuit breakers, 120 and 240 volt connections, neutral, ground, and two hots, on a forum, where someone will promptly go and mess around in a service panel and bad things could happen. Very bad things. 

I would tell them: If you do not know EXACTLY what you are doing in there, call an electrician.

It's a bit like explaining to someone how to remove their own appendix! (in other words, if things dont go exactly right, death can occur!)

Ya's gots balls...all I can say.

Wink

Well...last time I looked they were still there, anyway. LOL

I would normally not suggest anything like that, but in this case Frank was already well into his panel, so I felt it was more important to help him be sure he was actually doing things right than worry about giving someone else fodder for hypothetical future mistakes. Might be wrong about that but that was my thinking. But your raise a very good point, so I think now that Frank has read it and has things sorted out I'll go delete that part. Certainly can't hurt....

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 12:43pm
The caps blew because of either way too high input voltage, meaning something else ahead of them (like a regulator) was probably damaged, or even worse, direct A/C was fed to them, meaning the rectifier is likely shorted. Two caps do NOT fail at the same time without some component ahead of them misbehaving or permanently damaged. 

A rabbit hole, in other words. And too high a chance that other expensive control boards in the camper could be damaged if things are not 100% correct at the converter output.

I would replace the entire converter module, and then if you find the time, you can always experiment with the old one, on a workbench, with an old battery and a couple of lightbulbs for testing.

If it works, hey you have a spare unit. But very likely it wont, and you will find that other components are damaged.

Offgrid, gotta hand it to ya, I would simply NEVER try to explain house wiring, circuit breakers, 120 and 240 volt connections, neutral, ground, and two hots, on a forum, where someone will promptly go and mess around in a service panel and bad things could happen. Very bad things. 

I would tell them: If you do not know EXACTLY what you are doing in there, call an electrician.

It's a bit like explaining to someone how to remove their own appendix! (in other words, if things dont go exactly right, death can occur!)

Ya's gots balls...all I can say.

Wink

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 10:58am
OK, I get what you did when you rewired now. I'd still swap out that double pole for a single pole 30A breaker though, so everything in your home panel is as it should be. 

If what you're suggesting is could you try replacing the blown caps and see if the converter board might then work, you could certainly give that a try if you want. It's not like they're expensive and it sounds like you know your way around a circuit board. Clean off the leaked fluid so you don't breathe it when you de-solder the old caps. Don't bother if the board itself has burned tracks.  The worst that can happen is you'll find out where they hid the smoke a second time.....
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 10:26am
If the AC was off when you had it running 240V, it is likely that you dodged that bullet and your AC is okay. As for the capacitor losing its fluid, that is not good. The capacitor is compromised, if not blown and not functioning. It may be that some of the parts of the converter are still functioning, but whatever was on the part that uses those capacitors may not be. I'm not an electrical engineer and I don't have a schematic of the converter and what parts of the circuits do what function. I had a computer where it was not working properly. Some functions were fine, but then it would shut down unexpectedly on other functions. When I looked, it had some blown capacitors.

The safest thing is to replace the converter and chalk it up to a learning experience. If you have the capability to replace the capacitors, you may be able to restore full, reliable functionality if nothing else was damaged from the power overage. However, that is beyond my skill level. 
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
FrankTank View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 9:54am
I might have explained it wrong

The wire originally going to my hot water heater has black, white and ground ( But yes the hot water heater has black, red and ground)

In my service panel the black and white were connected to the double pole breaker. I removed the lower leg and connected it to the neutral bus. I've read online people doing this in a time crunch, I understand it is temporary. 

:Line to neutral: 120V. Line to ground 120V. Neutral to ground: 0. Done!:

Was part of my test :)

Now I am glad nothing extremely bad happened.

I am curious on what the detriment of a capacitor losing its electrolytic fluid.

Those two capacitors are 200V 680 uF

I had the camper plugged in for a good hour, tested the AC for a little (2 minutes), but I am refraining from keeping the AC on for too long. 

Anyways thanks for all the advice, much appreciated!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>