R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing with Full Water Tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing with Full Water Tank
    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 11:11am
As per the title, we are looking at a dry camping spot and would need to tow and bring in our own water. 

Obviously, would not normally want to do this, but is the weight distribution (thinking anti-sway etc) of the R-Pods (177 in my case) designed so the weight is still appropriately tongue heavy?  The water tank is behind the axle.

Grant
2011 R-Pod 177
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 12:07pm
177's can get light on the tongue with a full water tank in the rear. I suggest that you fill the tank and load the trailer and tow vehicle with cargo, water, and people as you want to and weigh it at a public scale. You can run through the scale with the trailer (weight distribution hitch NOT tensioned if you have one), adding one of your three axles at a time. Then drop the trailer and do the same thing with the tow vehicle alone. Leave the wdh on the TV. Subtract the combined weight of the tow vehicle axles with and without the trailer to get the tongue weight. The trailer weight is the total weight or the rig less the tow vehicle. 

If your tongue weight is less than 10%, or 11% if your cautious like I am, of the trailer weight then shift some gear forward in the trailer. When you get to that point one of us can explain how to know when you've moved enough stuff to get your tongue weight where you want it without having to weigh again. 

The individual axle weights can also be used to check against your TV and trailer max axle load limits which are on the drivers door jamb and on the front driver's side of the trailer. That and checking the max combined gross vehicle weight against the total rig weight and trailer actual against max weight will tell you whether everything is within your various TV and trailer load specs. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 12:56pm
After you get a base line weight for your normally loaded trailer, you can check the tongue weight very easily with a Sherline scale.  They are easy to use and are sufficiently accurate for the purpose.  Just make sure, when you weigh your tongue, that you have at least 10% of your total trailer weight on the tongue.  There other ways to measure the tongue weight and people have been very creative in this regard, but the Sherline is fast and simple.  

I've even weighed our trailer at the two wheels and the combined measurement was remarkably close to what I got at the truck scale.  I attribute the difference to the difference low gravity where I live.  We've mined so much here that the earth is much less dense as compared to the location of the scale where gravity tends to be high.Confused 
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 2:20pm
I fill the tank every time I take my 177 out on a trip.  I have not had a problem towing.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 5:56pm
Do it all the time with our 190.  No issues.  We always stay aware of proper loading. 
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by lostagain

There other ways to measure the tongue weight and people have been very creative in this regard, but the Sherline is fast and simple.  

Creative? Tow vehicle weight with trailer - TV weight without trailer = tongue weight. It ain't rocket science, as they say. But if you want to spend $70 on a Sherline that will certainly work fine too. There is also the bathroom scale and board method if you want to try that.  The main thing is to know what you actually have, once you've got that info no need to repeat it. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 8:16pm
We discussed something similar in this thread.
At some point, you are gonna have to weigh your trailer.  I weighed my rig as normally loaded, ready for a trip.  As I pulled away, I got the actual axle weight.  Then, I came back and weighed my SUV. That let me calculate the tongue weight for my R-Pod.  Once I got that, I crawled under it and started measuring.  Shockingly clean for a 4-y.o.  You can get the center distance for each tank by using the corners the tank has.  From the measurements I made I built a spreadsheet that will calculate tongue weight with various loads in various places.  One hundred pounds of food/clothing in the front can counterbalance a lot in the rear.  If you want it, send me a PM.  You'll have to adjust the distances for your 177.  If you start with a base loading that you always use, then the spreadsheet will give reliable changes to that base case.  And, you only need to weigh the 'Pod once. 

I had no idea a tongue scale could be had as low as $70. 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 10:16pm
So your 177, like mine, has a thirty gallon tank, I think.  
At eight pounds a gallon for water that would be only 240 pounds from just behind the axels toward the back of the trailer. And it's low down.   
Is that such a big deal, when it's low under the trailer and spread out over a few feet?  
I think not, and I have not experienced any difficulty when towing due to the full water tank. 
 I do put some of my heavier stuff up front under the dinette seat to help offset a bit, and I pull with a ford superduty f250, but seek to have the trailer balanced with more weight on the tongue than the ass end of the trailer. 
I also always have some water in the front mounted black water tank that helps balance things since it never fills up.   
I have towed at 75 mph a lot, with no problems.  
If you are pulling with some small Suv, then yeah, you might have a concern, but if so perhaps you need a real tow rig.  Otherwise, fill up the water tank and go and have fun.  
Try this, fill up your water tank and see if you can pick up your trailer off of the jack by hand.   If it's doable, then the back of your trailer is too heavy.  Stay safe, happy camping.  
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 6:44am
Originally posted by codycountry

So your 177, like mine, has a thirty gallon tank, I think.  
At eight pounds a gallon for water that would be only 240 pounds from just behind the axels toward the back of the trailer. And it's low down.   
Is that such a big deal, when it's low under the trailer and spread out over a few feet?  
I think not, and I have not experienced any difficulty when towing due to the full water tank. 
 I do put some of my heavier stuff up front under the dinette seat to help offset a bit, and I pull with a ford superduty f250, but seek to have the trailer balanced with more weight on the tongue than the ass end of the trailer. 
I also always have some water in the front mounted black water tank that helps balance things since it never fills up.   
I have towed at 75 mph a lot, with no problems.  
If you are pulling with some small Suv, then yeah, you might have a concern, but if so perhaps you need a real tow rig.  Otherwise, fill up the water tank and go and have fun.  
Try this, fill up your water tank and see if you can pick up your trailer off of the jack by hand.   If it's doable, then the back of your trailer is too heavy.  Stay safe, happy camping.  

You're joking, right? How many folks on here have a F250 super duty they tow an rpod around with? Let's please get this right so we don't kill someone.

First, trailers with too low tongue weight in general are subject to sway. It doesn't matter if the weight is low or high, its the front/rear distribution that's critical.

Look at this video:

Second, there are documented cases of rPod sway at tongue weights around 10% of trailer weight or less. I did a post on this a couple of years ago.  

Third, rpods are light trailers, and 30 gallons (250 lbs not 240 btw) is a lot of weight in one. In my 179 moving 30 gallons from the fresh to the gray tank changes the tongue weight by 3%, which is a lot considering that the target range is only 10-15%. 

Fourth, even if you have a heavy tow vehicle, you really don't want your trailer fishtailing around on you driving down the road. 

So, yes, getting this right is a big deal, unless you enjoy the idea of winding up facing backwards on a freeway with a semi heading straight at you. Dead

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 7:54am
I always keep several gallons in the fwt, for flushing, washing hands while on the road. When ever I have needed to fill my fwt, I fill it at the first spigot I see once I arrive to the campground. If you are not going to a campground, then making sure you get a few hundred pounds of weight near the tongue to offset the fwt is your only option.  
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>