R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Weight Distribution hitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote richfsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weight Distribution hitch
    Posted: 29 May 2020 at 5:15pm
Greetings, just purchased a 190. I am towing with a 2019 Toyota Highlander. Looking for a recommendation for a Weight Distribution Hitch. Appreciate the help!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 6:21pm
Welcome and congratulations! I hope you have many fun adventures and make many great memories with your RPod.

There are many options but three seem to be popular. A lot depends on what you are willing to spend, and how much weight you want to handle.

I used to have an Equal-i-zer 4-point sway control WD hitch. It is good, but the hitch head is quite heavy. I now have a Hensley Cub hitch which is quite effective, but very expensive. I like it, but it is a bit of overkill for the RPod. I have my reasons for the purchase, but the expense is not necessarily what most people would be willing to spend. I got it on a sale price which lessened the pain.

A second choice is the Fastway E2 hitch. It is very similar to the Equal-i-zer, but only claims 2 point sway control. It is less expensive, but also has a heavy hitch head.

A third choice is the Andersen No-Sway hitch. It is quite different in that instead of using heavy bars for weight distribution, it uses chains and urethane springs. Sway control is done at the hitch ball, which pivots in the hitch head instead of the trailer pivoting on the ball. A friction material lines the shaft of the ball. It is much lighter in weight than any of the ones above.

This is not a complete list by any means. There are other brands such as Blue Ox, Camco, or Reese. A search will lead to information about all of these with reviews.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Toyanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 9:00pm
How does it tow now and why do you need a Weight Distribution Hitch? I tow my rpod with a 2008 Toyota Tacoma and have never seen a need for one.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 8:50am
 WDH's work by reducing the load on the tow vehicle hitch and redistributing some of it to the trailer axle and the front axle. If you don't have one the load on the TV front axle goes down when you hang the trailer on it. WDH's do not increase your TV max hitch weight though, unless the TV manufacturer states that, and Toyota doesn't. So its not technically a matter of "needing" a wdh, if you are exceeding your tow vehicle max hitch load you have to reduce it. Its a matter of how the rig rides and having better control by having more load on the TV front axle, which is where your steering and  best brakes are. I tow my 179 with a Highlander. You will enjoy towing much more with a WDH, I wouldn't tow my trailer without one. 

I have a Curt WDH with separate sway control. Some WDH's have integrated sway control. The benefit is less stuff to take on and off the rig when hitching and unhitching. Personally, I prefer the two functions separated so I can adjust how much resistance to sway I'm getting based on conditions. If roads are wet or curvy I reduce the sway control effort. You can't do that with the integrated ones. It's a personal preference. 

I highly suggest that you weigh your rig axle by axle at a public scale so you know what you have. If you load that 190 at all heavily you will be at or even over the hitch weight limit of your Highlander. I'm right there on mine.  Load up the TV and trailer as you plan to camp, including water if you plan to boondock. You can get your trailer hitch weight by going through the scales twice, once with the rig and once with the TV by itself. The hitch weight is the difference between the total of the two TV axles with and without the trailer. Do not tension up the wdh when you take these weights and leave the wdh in the receiver when you weigh the TV. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 9:15am
One advantage to a WHD is that it transfers weight to the front wheels, thus giving better steering control and, in front wheel drive vehicles, better traction for the drive wheels.  We got a Fastway e2 to use with our Pod and now use it with our new trailer.  It makes the ride vastly more comfortable and gives us much better directional control, both for the trailer and the TV.  The WHD function is especially useful when you start getting close to the CGVW limit, which you will be with the Highlander.  It's a small investment compared to the safety and comfort you gain.  

Though I can't speak to setting up other brands of WHD systems, setting up the e2 is super easy.  It adds about a minute or two to the hitch/unhitch process.  The slowest part is raising the trailer with the tongue jack to allow the bars to be put into proper position on the L brackets.  It really doesn't affect your ability to back up, unless you are on a steep uneven surface and need to make a very sharp turn.  In that case, it's easy to pop off the spring bars before backing into the parking space.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
richfsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote richfsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 9:17am
Morning Fred, did you do the install on your e2? If so how difficult. Can you provide the model information please. 
Thank you!
Rich 
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 9:27am
I would recommend the Fastway E 2. It's the only one I've ever used, so I don't claim to be an expert. The E2 has never given me a problem, It's easy to put on/off, and i've made 90 degree turns backing in without removing it. As far as "do you need it" I would say this. If when you hitch up your pod / camper, and the back end of the tow vehicle moves down, you NEED Wdh. There is no doubt that as the back end goes down, the front end goes up. If anyone wants to argue that having your steering wheels making less contact with the road is a good thing, Please don't tow thru my state. Not to mention the added sway control. Sway can happen at any time, by a number of different conditions. Just because it towed great on tuesday, it might not be so good on friday. Just having one wheel catch a pothole could cause it to sway out of control. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 9:36am
Rich, yes, I did the installation on my e2.  It comes with a step by step instruction book which can be downloaded from their web site too.  It's mostly a matter bringing the trailer and TV back to level positions and torquing the bolts the proper values.  Here is the Fastway manual site:  https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/pdf/FW_Flash-E-Series-Instructions_DTBM521_PRINT.pdf

Please feel to pm me and I'll send you my phone number if you want to talk about it on the phone.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
richfsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote richfsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 9:48am
Thanks for all the great help Fred. 
Be well!
Rich
richfsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote richfsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 9:59am
Thanks to all for the good education and great help!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>