R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Weight Distribution hitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Toyanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weight Distribution hitch
    Posted: 29 May 2020 at 9:00pm
How does it tow now and why do you need a Weight Distribution Hitch? I tow my rpod with a 2008 Toyota Tacoma and have never seen a need for one.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 6:21pm
Welcome and congratulations! I hope you have many fun adventures and make many great memories with your RPod.

There are many options but three seem to be popular. A lot depends on what you are willing to spend, and how much weight you want to handle.

I used to have an Equal-i-zer 4-point sway control WD hitch. It is good, but the hitch head is quite heavy. I now have a Hensley Cub hitch which is quite effective, but very expensive. I like it, but it is a bit of overkill for the RPod. I have my reasons for the purchase, but the expense is not necessarily what most people would be willing to spend. I got it on a sale price which lessened the pain.

A second choice is the Fastway E2 hitch. It is very similar to the Equal-i-zer, but only claims 2 point sway control. It is less expensive, but also has a heavy hitch head.

A third choice is the Andersen No-Sway hitch. It is quite different in that instead of using heavy bars for weight distribution, it uses chains and urethane springs. Sway control is done at the hitch ball, which pivots in the hitch head instead of the trailer pivoting on the ball. A friction material lines the shaft of the ball. It is much lighter in weight than any of the ones above.

This is not a complete list by any means. There are other brands such as Blue Ox, Camco, or Reese. A search will lead to information about all of these with reviews.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
richfsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote richfsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 5:15pm
Greetings, just purchased a 190. I am towing with a 2019 Toyota Highlander. Looking for a recommendation for a Weight Distribution Hitch. Appreciate the help!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234