This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSoon to be new owners!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soon to be new owners!!
    Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 1:47pm
My wife and I are picking up our 2011 R-Pod 177 tomorrow from the local dealer!!  We will be pulling it with a 2006 Mitsubishi Endeavor that is rated for 3500lbs. From what I've been reading, I don't think we will have any problems. The only other thing I have ever towed was a pop-up camper, so using using a brake controller is new and has me a little apprehensive, especially on setting them up, but the dealer said they would help. We plan on taking a short trip on Labor Day weekend to break her in! Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by psaman

My wife and I are picking up our 2011 R-Pod 177 tomorrow from the local dealer!!  We will be pulling it with a 2006 Mitsubishi Endeavor that is rated for 3500lbs. From what I've been reading, I don't think we will have any problems. The only other thing I have ever towed was a pop-up camper, so using using a brake controller is new and has me a little apprehensive, especially on setting them up, but the dealer said they would help. We plan on taking a short trip on Labor Day weekend to break her in! Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I can only guess that you are picking up from Colonial Del Rey, which is where I got Podterfly.  They will answer your questions and the present tech has helped me alot.

If you act quick there is still one water and electric hook up at Palmetto State Park for the Labor day weekend.  If I where you I'd go ahead and get reservations.

Here is the Labor Day Texas Round up Link

You'll be the fourth, the other three of us have had our Pods for a while.  We all will be happy to give you our own versions on how to set up the r-pod, r-dome and any other questions you may have.

LeeClap

P.S.  I live in Flour Bluff right now.  I'll send you my phone via PM.  Oh Congrads on the R-Pod.

Carrie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 2:29pm
We are picking up our new little 175 R-Pod on Friday August 27th....

Her name will be:   Meno-Pod

Can hardly wait!!!!

Carrie & Sharon

Slipper Pod
2011 R-Pod 175
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 5:46pm
Yes, they seem like very nice people. We are going at 1:00 pm for our walk thru inspection and r-dome set up help.  They said they would help with the brakes also.  We already have reservations at Goliad State park for that weekend, but thanks for the offer and the p.m. Will probably call often for advice! 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 8:48pm

Welcome!  Feel free to post a review of your dealer in the review section.  Lots of experience around here so post your questions as they come up.

If you haven't purchased the brake controller yet I highly recommend the Prodigy.  Many controllers use older technology which is just a timer that phases in the maximum setting you set.  The Prodigy and a few others use an inertia sensor that detects the actual amount of braking you are doing.  With the older controllers you might have it set perfect for full-speed traffic but then you hit stop-and-go traffic... and the 'pod's breaks lock up until you adjust again.  That won't happen with the Prodigy.  I towed for years with the older type and was so happy when I switched.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Welcome!  Feel free to post a review of your dealer in the review section.  Lots of experience around here so post your questions as they come up.

If you haven't purchased the brake controller yet I highly recommend the Prodigy.  Many controllers use older technology which is just a timer that phases in the maximum setting you set.  The Prodigy and a few others use an inertia sensor that detects the actual amount of braking you are doing.  With the older controllers you might have it set perfect for full-speed traffic but then you hit stop-and-go traffic... and the 'pod's breaks lock up until you adjust again.  That won't happen with the Prodigy.  I towed for years with the older type and was so happy when I switched.

Thanks, I will. As for the controller, we already had  the Voyager installed, which uses an inertia pendulum. will post how it works out.
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 12:45pm
Smile She's home, well almost. There are many like it, but this one is ours!!!Thumbs Up

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 1:16pm
She/He looks great, and Congrads.Clown

I noticed in the picture that your strap for the propane is over the cover.  I run the strap through the propane tank, because the cover has elastic at the bottom it stays pretty snug.  Haven't lost it yet. Just FYI no judgement.

Again Welcome...so glad to have another pod in the area.  I like to go to the valley or south padre in the winter months, even thinking about Big Bend around Xmas. 

I'm going to JellyStone Campground next weekend (it's near canyon lake) for some tubing and fun, and be sure to check out the Roundup in  October.  

Have you named your Pod yet?  

LeeClap
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Butterfly_Lee

She/He looks great, and Congrads.Clown

I noticed in the picture that your strap for the propane is over the cover.  I run the strap through the propane tank, because the cover has elastic at the bottom it stays pretty snug.  Haven't lost it yet. Just FYI no judgement.

Again Welcome...so glad to have another pod in the area.  I like to go to the valley or south padre in the winter months, even thinking about Big Bend around Xmas. 

I'm going to JellyStone Campground next weekend (it's near canyon lake) for some tubing and fun, and be sure to check out the Roundup in  October.  

Have you named your Pod yet?  

LeeClap

Thank you for the compliment and the suggestion. That's what this forum appears to be all about. The strap is where the dealer put it, but I will look at it when we go visit it in a bit. We are keeping it at a nearby storage facility and plan on bring it home whenever we load up to go somewhere. As for the name we are leaning towards "Sponge Pod" because the grand-kids love Sponge Bob.
Out of curiosity, what's the furthest you've towed your Pod??

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 2:02pm
Last year Grand Canyon, with several side trips 3,400 round trip and this year to Ky return via fl about 3,700.   

Right now I think I have the smallest tow vehicle (because that's what I had when I bought Podterfly), a Nissian frontier standard 4cyl.  So I've not gone to any mountains, mostly hills and flatland.  Make it a point to go somewhere at least one weekend a month.  

LeeClap

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>