This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTime for Camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 18>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for Camping?
    Posted: 02 May 2020 at 10:39am
Originally posted by StephenH

Part of South Korea's success is in how people interact. Hand shaking and hugs are not common. Also, if anyone feels ill, he/she wears a face mask. Both of those contribute to a lower rate of spread. What they are doing to treat cases, possibly much earlier than we start treating, is helping but we don't hear in the news how they are treating this.

As for science, scientists can and do confuse cause with effect and later on have to change their theories. My citation for doctors (who may not be "scientists" per se, but are conducting research show that there is conflict in opinion as to the validity of hydroxychloroquine, which was my point. Low-dose use with antibiotic (alternative if Zithromycin is not tolerated) plus zink given earlier seems to cut the severity in most patients. Remdesivir may be effective if it reaches the latter stages, but the cost will be many times that of hydroxychloroquine, which is generic and inexpensive. Which one will the drug companies want to make? Right now, the major source of hydroxychloroquine is India.

I wouldn't use duct tape. Perhaps Gorilla tape.

Hand shaking and hugs aren't common in the US right now either. I'm sure we would all be willing to give that up in order to save lives and get our economy running again. And wearing masks in public isn't a big deal. 

This video provides a pretty good idea what South Korea has been doing. Its in Korean but subtitled and well worth a watch. 

This is a short form summary. 

And these is some recent comments from their health minister.

Their response has not focused on treatments for sick people, Theirs has been a public health response.  IMHO, focusing on treating sick people is like shutting the barn door after the horse has gone. Pharma companies might be happy if everyone gets sick but personally I'd rather not have them get sick in the first place. The S Korea success shows that is possible. 

Gorilla tape?  What's that? Duct tape and WD40. That's all that we southern engineers ever need LOL

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 10:44am
mjlrpod, your suggestion that experts said that 2M people would die from SARS-CoV-2 leaves out most of what they said and cherrypicks only one small part to falsely describe what they are saying.

Epidemiologists have consistently said that mortality rates could be terrifyingly high or quite low, depending on the response to the disease we take.  If we responded effectively we could keep the mortality rates down to manageable levels.  If we failed to respond the rates could look like the flu pandemic in 1918-19.  Responses in different parts of the world have been all over the spectrum and we have seen mortality rates vary accordingly.  Not one single epidemiology expert has ever said that the mortality rate would be any specific figure as you claim.  Every single one has given a range that depends on the response to fighting the spread of this disease.  

As for the remainder of your comments, they are blatantly political and I beg to differ, but out of respect for the promise of all not to get into political discussions will leave it at that.

As for crankster78's comments, again, they are musings and speculations at best, all of which are unsupported by facts, and are also very political.  SARS-CoV-2 sees you as food and could give a flying fig whether you are free, a veteran or an American citizen.  Viruses have no politics.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 10:54am
Originally posted by crankster78

Greetings:We are social creatures, 6.6 billion of us.  We cannot go backwards in time.  

You just did. We hit 6.6 billion ppl in 2006, 14 years ago. We're at 7.8 bil now. But what's a measly 1.2 billion here or there? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 11:34am
Can the mods change the title of this thread to better reflect what's being discussed?

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 12:38pm
Yes, let's get back to camping or not, depending on your views of the situation. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 12:45pm
The decision to open campgrounds is a difficult one that involves many elements of public health.  We all have our opinions, whether fact or fantasy based, but the overriding consideration we should all have at the forefront of our actions is whether will we be hurting others.  Many people are raising the issue of their ability to do as they please in the cloak of personal freedom, while others are reminding all of us that with personal freedom comes the responsibility to consider our actions vis-a-vi our neighbors.  Some don't fully understand the science that drives very hard decisions that we have to take, while others simply don't believe in science at all.  We all have opinions that are driven by our own personal preferences, desires, and prejudices.  Some say "me, me, me" while others say only "we, we, we."  Most of us fall in the middle, trying to navigate the delicate balance between the two extremes.  In truth, none of us is truly objective.

My personal opinion, which I freely admit is partly driven by the mental disability of a very severe case of cabin fever and the beauty of spring days, is that we can reach the fine balance between being utterly self centered and utterly self sacrificing for the common good by camping in remote areas in fully self contained trailers where we take home all our "by-products" of camping and dispose of them there.  As I stated in other posts, we also have to consider the effect we are having on those who have to work in the campgrounds we want to visit. Though we may use the utmost care to avoid spreading SARS-CoV-2, others could care less about the workers in the campgrounds.  

I see this in everyday life in my own community.  When I go to the supermarket it amazes me how many people pretend the virus doesn't exist and don't follow even the basic mask and distance practices.  I wear a mask, knowing full well it does little to protect me, but I tolerate the discomfort knowing that I don't want to infect others by a sneeze or cough that could make someone else ill, potentially fatally.  I wish others would think of the common good too, but they seem to only be able to think of themselves.

We need to also recognize the preference of the locales where we wish to camp.  Not everyone wants us there.  Lassen  County, CA, in its county website has specifically asked people to stay away.  Their policy states:  "In summary, if you are not in already in Lassen County, please do not come here. Everyone can walk, run, hike and bike in their local community, and nearby forests. When the COVID-19 crisis is over, we will be happy to share our beautiful county with you but until then, please exercise and recreate close to home."  Maybe it's time to respect the feelings of others instead of trying to gratify our own wishes.  Sadly, the ability to put the needs of one's community above one's own ego is disappearing from the American experience.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 1:51pm
+1 to lostagain. Our society is less and less able to do anything for the good of the community. Many perhaps most don’t care. Others see everything through a political lens and ask only what any particular topic means in terms of furthering their side’s cause. Or even worse, others are only interested if they see the topic as damaging to the other side. Not only can we not agree on what to do about a problem, we can’t even agree whether or not there even is one. And forget learning anything from what other countries have done, we’re way to unique and special for that.

These are symptoms of civilizations heading downhill. One would have hoped that an outside apolitical threat like Covid would tend to unite us but it appears that the opposite is true. Some other nations have responded similarly but others have been able to set aside their differences and successfully contain this. Sadly for us, in my opinion those are the societies who are likely to be more successful going forward.

Back to camping or not. One thing this has taught me is that camping, even dispersed/boondocks camping, is a very public activity. I’m leaning toward getting out of camping and have recently started looking (online only so far) for a small, nearby yet isolated cabin instead. Nearby so access and disease exposure are less likely to be issues, I also expect Covid to be around for some time.

I don’t need or even want to travel, I’ve done plenty of that. And we llike the Appalachian mountain environment. We just want a quiet natural experience. We tend to go to the same few favorite campsites every time anyway. We no longer live by the Beach and need to evacuate for hurricanes, which was one of my reasons for buying the rpod to begin with. We’ll see but right now I’m leaning toward the not camping side of the equation.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 3:20pm
Our rule here is no political talk.  I've edited one post above, and others are coming very close to crossing the line.  Let's keep it non-political.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 3:44pm
thank you. I appreciate you doing that.
Julie
tcj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 5:57pm
We went on a recon mission yesterday to see if some of my "Secret" dispersed sites are free of snow yet.  We drove up Chinook Pass.  As I said in an earlier post, developed camp grounds are closed but camping is allowed at dispersed sites in the Okanagan-Wenatchee National Forest. There were people camping in almost every dispersed site we passed on the way up.

I had to walk about a half mile over a snow covered road to get to this one.  I was surprised to see a tent already set up there.Star  This spot is just off a paved road.  We drove up some gravel roads and didn't see anyone camping and lots and lots of spots to park an Rpod.Smile

2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 18>