R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGas Mileage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 21>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Mileage
    Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 4:34pm

Would it be possible for a member with a 173T to post a picture of the "spoiler"?  I have a 172T and it also has a protrusion right above the rear hatch.  I am pretty sure all of the "T" series Pod's have this but wanted to make sure!  Thanks!

Jerry, Julie, Kaiti, & Abbi ~ Phoenix, AZ ~ 2010 172T ~ 2004 Acura MDX
Bigbit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 4:43pm
Go to the post by ToddsPod on page 2 of this thread for a pic.
argh6 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 3:33am
Thanks!  Yeah, that looks exactly like the one on my 172T.  I assumed it was a water diversion devise to keep as much water away from the rear hatch seals as possible.  It may have a spoiler affect though, as I can usually get about 13-15mpg out of our 2004 Acura MDX...  Thanks!
brownd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 7:43am
Thanks for the report on the 172T.  Is the engine a six or eight cylinder, what is the size and hp of the engine.  Do you drive with overdrive on or off?  That is really good gas mileage especially if it is a midsize six.  Also, how are you getting your gasmileage readings?

Thanks
Dave
argh6 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 2:24pm
The MDX has a 3.5L V6, 265hp, 253 lb ft.  I use cruise control and let it decide which gear to use (Honda transmissions are the best!)  Avg towing in Arizona, up to the mountains and back, so there are some hills included.  The MDX has a trip computer, and I found it to be pretty accurate when comparing it to my gallons pumped/miles driven calculations.
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by argh6

The MDX has a 3.5L V6, 265hp, 253 lb ft.  I use cruise control and let it decide which gear to use (Honda transmissions are the best!)  Avg towing in Arizona, up to the mountains and back, so there are some hills included.  The MDX has a trip computer, and I found it to be pretty accurate when comparing it to my gallons pumped/miles driven calculations.

The numbers are pretty close to our Mitsubishi; 3.8L V6, only 225 HP, but 250 FT/LBS torque.  I too let the cruise control decide which gear. On level roads @ 55mph, the rpms will run around 1800. I find I can accelerate smoother with the cruise handle than with the gas pedal while towing.
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
Gone to Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 8:10pm
I have a 2001 MDX (the first year) with the factory tow package.  We are planning on getting 175 but not until spring.  I am learning here before and am wondering, you said you use the cruise control to decide gears.  Are you in D5 or D4 when you do this?  Lots of people here talk about not letting it be in overdrive because it searches to much.  We love, love our MDXHeart.  It has over 135K on it and is just getting broken inThumbs Up.  You should have seen the looks we got this last summer in Colorado.  We were tooling up to Yankee Boy Basin as all the "true Jeep" owners were coming down.  They couldn't believe we were up there.  It drives like an SUV but rides like a car.  Didn't quite make it all the way up but sure did have fun watching them stare at us.
"a rolling POD gathers no moss"

http://www.aipics.com
argh6 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 8:53pm
HAHA!  We have had our MDX there as well!  We want to take the pod back to Ouray and spend more time there!  We too love our MDX, and just clicked over 120k and it pulls the pod with ease!  I leave it in D5, unless we are going down a steep grade, then I'll D4 or lower.  The logic in Honda transmision ECU's works great, and when it sences the extra load, it will stay in the appropriate gear by itself.  You'll love towing the Pod with your MDX!
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 9:32am
Ok over last weekend we did some testing with the Trailblazers and the kayaks.  We ran just shy of 50 miles round trip mostly highway with a full tank of fresh water and empty black and gray tanks. Trailblazer is using just a straight 2 1/2 Dropped Receiver with no sway or weight distrubtion on it.  6Cyl, 4.2 Liter Engine, 4X4 LTX Version. 

On the first run we had the 2 kayaks on the roof straight with the cockpits covered over with tarps.  Seemed the engine liked about 60 MPH as when we went over that the RPMS went high.  Onboard computer showed 11.6 MPG.

On the second run we moved the front of the kayaks closer to the middle of the Car and moved the back out towards the sides of the car so that it was a big v shape.  Cockpits were still covered with tarps.  ran the same course we had taken and the engine still liked the 60 MPH but Onboard computer showed 12.8 MPG.  I did have a headwind we were fighting part of the way.

On the third run we kept the kayaks in the V shape but we installed a K&N Series High-Flow Performance Air Intake http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=77-3036KP on the car. Ran the same course again but noticed that the car did not push the RPMs up over 60 MPH as was before and we could move up to about 65 MPH.  Onboard computer shower 13.1 MPG but no headwind lik we had the second time.  With the Air Intake installed the Car now has a bit more pickup.

Not sure what to do now as we have also just bought a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Club Cab to use as a TV.  I'm also looking at putting Cold Air Intake upgrade on that and also Dual Exhaust from the Manifold back (including putting 2 cataletic convertors on) to increase fuel milage and horsepower. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 5:47pm
I've been considering a high-flow intake, although K & N doesn't have one for my TV (just a washable replacement for the original).  I've seen them done with parts from the local hardware store, with a K & N filter like yours on the end.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 21>