R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGas Mileage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 21>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Mileage
    Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 8:38am
Out of curiosity, what has convinced you folks that the "foil" on the upper rear of a 173T is there solely for aerodynamics?

To me, it looks like it was placed there simply as a rain gutter to keep roof rain run-off from inundating the canvas tent when expanded.  I think it was designed that way to minimize it's effect on the aerodynamics, but not to improve overall aerodynamic performance.

JMHO; I could be flat wrong...
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 9:30am
Originally posted by David and Danette

Could it be possible that the downward curve of the back of the R-Pod could create more of a vacum and drag, than if it were square?

I think this is exactly what is happening, but it doesn't make sense.  Some ultra-high-mpg'ers have added extra-long nose cones and tail cones to smooth out the air flow (http://autos.aol.com/article/boat-tail-boosts-mpg/).  It would seem that the curves of the 'pod would do the same.  But apparently not.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 9:32am
bigbit - Some said they heard that from FR people that were at a rally.  But the email I posted earlier denies that.
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 10:44am
I used to have a Sears Cargo Carrier we would put on the roof.  It was so full of wind drag it was bad.  BUT the Thule Company has designed their equipment to cut through the wind.

This weekend I'm doing some testing pulling the Camper as I need to dump the tanks.  I plan to throw the kayaks back up in a v shape and run the camper round trip that way, then move the kayaks straight and see what that does to the MPG.  I also have permission from an Auto Dealer to try out any of the Trucks on his lot to see how it pulls the Rpod as I'm just about to make a deal with him on a truck.  Debating about a Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 or if I should scale it back to the Dodge Dokato Crew Cab he has.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 11:05am
rpodcamper - can you mount the 'yaks with the cockpits inward for these tests?
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 12:01pm
I'm going to try that bit if that does not work I have tarps to fasten down to them.
brownd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 1:34pm

I will be anxious to hear the results of the kayak test.  Also the Thule idea is very interesting and gave me a thought.  This would only apply to those with pickup trucks.  Some pickup truck toppers are shaped almost like a spoiler.  They start out the same height as the cab and angle up somewhat higher, almost like a spoiler.  That would make the pickup plus the topper push air higher onto the R.Pod.  Anyone using the Thule or this type of topper?

Thedoghouse gave us the first  173t report.  Though just one run, at 15mpg, it is the highest mileage I have seen on either of the pod forums.  I would be interested to know if he calculated mileage or used the averaging on his trip meter.  Also does the truck have a topper?  This is the 1st 173t reporting as you get more information please report it. Thanks.

Dave
popgoesweasel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 4:59pm
techntreck,

I personally had a conversation with the engineer who came to the Eastern Round Up in June.  He said that one of the functions for the air-dam on the 173T was to reduce the drag of the r*pod while it is being pulled.  He was responding to a question concerning the reduced mileage on the TV while pulling an r*pod. 

Regards,

Ed Reames
R171 2010
Frontier 2009
Site 40 Eastern Rally 2010
photog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by rpodcamper.com

I used to have a Sears Cargo Carrier we would put on the roof.  It was so full of wind drag it was bad.  BUT the Thule Company has designed their equipment to cut through the wind.

This weekend I'm doing some testing pulling the Camper as I need to dump the tanks.  I plan to throw the kayaks back up in a v shape and run the camper round trip that way, then move the kayaks straight and see what that does to the MPG.  I also have permission from an Auto Dealer to try out any of the Trucks on his lot to see how it pulls the Rpod as I'm just about to make a deal with him on a truck.  Debating about a Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 or if I should scale it back to the Dodge Dokato Crew Cab he has.

We are currentley on a long trip to the east coast and earlier this summer went to the Yukon towing with a 2010 Dacota crew cab V8. Sofar we towed about 10.000 km and we get about  22l/100km towing. Not very good considering we only tow a 171 with a loaded weight of 2700 lbs. As others have said before, the  "brakes" come on at about 90km/hour. What really gets me is that when we tow our sons 5thwheel (14000 lbs) with his Dodge 1 ton diesel we use 23l/100km. Doesn't make a whole bunch of sense, does it? Sure hope that Forest River figures something out and maybe come up with a retrofit.

happy podding
Heinrich and Elly
2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
2010 Prime Time Tracer 205M
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 9:48pm
popgoesweasel, next time I talk to FR I'll pass that along, thanks.  You know how companies go - left hand may not know what the right hand is doing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 21>