R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGas Mileage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 21>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Mileage
    Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 11:35am
I bought my reflectors as a kit at WalMart.  I also bought and installed a red/white tape kit as well.

I wonder if the ones in the photo were installed by the dealer or at the factory?
R171 2010
Frontier 2009
Site 40 Eastern Rally 2010
tma-333 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Even though I have not heard back from FR, it looks like we may have our answer.  Note the spoiler on this flyer:

I asked my dealer to check into availabilty, costs, installation etc and will post results when available.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 11:25am
I heard from FR today.  Part of the message was about the new Hood River Edition, I'll post that info on that thread.  Here is what he said about the new "spoiler":

"we've added a rear spoiler to the pods. mostly for cosmetics. and It has 3 LED running lights in it. Not sure if it will improve mileage or not"
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
tma-333 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by techntrek

I heard from FR today.  Part of the message was about the new Hood River Edition, I'll post that info on that thread.  Here is what he said about the new "spoiler":

"we've added a rear spoiler to the pods. mostly for cosmetics. and It has 3 LED running lights in it. Not sure if it will improve mileage or not"
Glad to see FR commenting on this forum.  Also, I had mentionned in a previous post that I would ask my dealer if the spoiler was available from FR as an aftermarket and what the installations specs were, seems appropriate to include FR's response here:

Sent: Friday, October 08, 2010 12:36 PM
To: Dave L. Lawson(FR)
Subject: FW: Envoi d'un message : 2011_R-Pod_177

Hi, can my customer install this spoiler on his 177.Is it easy to install and what would be the cost on this spoiler.Thanks

Dave Jean

Sales Manager / Gerant des Ventes

From FR:
No they would not; the backers would not be in the right locations. We had to move the roof rafters to be able to screw the spoiler on. The only way they could would be to tear the ceiling panels down and add extra support where the spoiler would go. This is something we just started doing on models at the product expo.

Thanks

Dave

FR

Gerald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 9:06am
That is good news and bad news about the spoiler, will be interesting to see if the (cosmetic)spoiler helps or not..........
Does anyone know if the roof rafters are wood or aluminum? I know the walls are welded aluminum frames but am not sure if the roof rafters that connect the walls are wood or aluminum. I am assuming the thickness would be about 2 inches? I would like to screw into these for a shelf support.
2010 R-Pod 177 / 2009 GMC Canyon 4X4

Gerald, Lydia and The Boys (2 Shelties)......Canuck Podders
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 2:48pm
As far as I know all structual supports are aluminum.  At one point I found a video online of the factory floor, and while it was from a distance the 'pods that weren't enclosed yet appeared to have aluminum everywhere.

Edit: I found the video (coincidentally in this same thread back in August).  I don't know if this is still good, they block Youtube at work so I can't try it: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0W9PCL7TZM&feature=player_embedded

argh6 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 11:39pm
From that video the roof appears to have wood bracing...
Jerry, Julie, Kaiti, & Abbi ~ Phoenix, AZ ~ 2010 172T ~ 2004 Acura MDX
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 10:18pm

Comments on roof construction continued in its own thread:

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1462&title=roof-construction

KJR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 12:01am
American RV manufacturers need to look to the UK and Europe for some fresh ideas on how to design a lightweight and aerodynamic travel trailer. Gulfstream has made an attempt with the Visa. I decided to search for travel trailer or caravan manufacturers in the UK and found some links. Check these trailers out for weight and space utilization. All these can be pulled with small vehicles and definitely with our small SUVs, light trucks and Crossovers. None of these manufacturers use a tear drop shape. They keep the front streamlined by enclosing the propane inside an aerodynamic enclosure. The rear of the trailer is straight wall and not curved. I didn't see any slide outs on the UK RVs. The RPod and MPG are cute but their aerodynamics don't appear to be ideal. There is a lot of wasted interior space in the Rpod and MPG. The US market is ready for lightweight trailers so I hope well see some similar designs on this side of the pond. $4-5/gallon gas will be back with us sooner than we like. 

http://www.bailey-caravans.co.uk/
http://www.elddis.co.uk/
http://www.swiftleisure.co.uk/
http://www.lunarcaravans.com/caravans/
Runebane View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 9:24am
There are other manufacturers in the US that have similar weights and no curved walls.   They, like the UK ones you listed, are more expensive but have similar weights.   The tear drop shape is more for fashion than utility.  Which was one of the reasons that appealed to the wife and I.   As for aerodynamics, I'd like to see real world tests on any of the light weight trailers and see what they're getting.  I'm betting about what we are, now matter how aerodynamic that barn door is, you're still hauling it down the road at 65mph, you're going to make your vehicle work much harder to maintain the speed.

My $0.02.

-Runebane
RP-177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 21>