R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGas Mileage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 21>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Mileage
    Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 11:40pm
I will be doing some playing this week with my new to me TV and the rpod.  Its a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Club Cab with a hard Tonneau cover installed.  I did find wedge that I.m thinking of picking up at a discount store to see if that would do anything.  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 7:07am
Originally posted by KJR

This thread is a major let down for me. I've been reading up on lightweight RVs for a couple of months and the Rpod seemed tho be a good solution. I don't have a tow vehicle and did savor the thought of getting a V8 powered  tow vehicle. I wanted something to that a Ford Explorer or Chevy Trailblazer could pull including. I figured even these vehicles could even put an Rpod around the Rockies.

After reading the posts in this thread it appears Rpods don't tow any better than a traditional travel trailer of the same size and you still need a V8 powered vehicle to get the best tow experience. I

I was able to see an Rpod at the Dallas RV show held this weekend. I also also looked at the Aliner hard sided pop ups also but they got crossed off my list. Aliners are too expensive and their quality is pretty bad. The only good thing about them is they fold up and tow easy.

I saw the Rpod rip off also this weekend, the Heartland MPG. I bet it has the same aerodynamic issue.

What would the simulation show if the rear of the Rpod was squared off the back. Does Forest River even use a wind tunnel to test their designs? Forest River has the Flagstaff Micro Lite XLT. Rounded at the front and squared off at the back. Its heavier than an Rpod but still 4000 lbs GVWR.

I guess I just hang around and see if Forest River addresses these issues.

Kelvin

Welcome!  There is something made by Forest River, similar to the Pod, but squared off in the back:

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?include=gallery&nav=rec&page=wolfpup

I don't know if any dealers would let you take some of the different campers out for a "test tow", but if that could be done, you might find something to fill you needs and would answer a few questions.  Good luck!
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 7:32am
     I hope that Forest River gives a reply on the aerodynamics of the RPod design. Because what is being said in these posts could effect how many RPods they sell. I would not want potential buyers to be misled.     David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

KJR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 9:21am
One of the dealers in my area who sells Rpods rents them for $495/week. They also sell the Wolf Pup (where do they get these goofy names). It would be interesting if they rented the Wolf Pup then I could compare. I still need to get a tow vehicle first.

Kelvin
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 11:06am
Welcome KJR.  Don't write them off yet.  Even with the drag issue they fit many other needs that may outweigh the downsides.  In a perfect world FR will find a solution like the ones we've discussed here and mpg/power won't be a problem.  I haven't heard back from FR yet.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Gone to Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 11:18am
I'm also watching this issue closely.  I have not bought yet and this is an issue to me.  I have been to the dealer and we have settled on the 175 but are waiting to see if FR "cares" enough about their current and potentially new customers enough to fix this or even reply here so we know they are trying to fix it.  This could be the deciding factor on the R-Pod or any other FR product.  If they won't address this issue how can I trust they will care about any other issues that come up.  When I worked in retail we had a saying, "a happy customer will tell one other person, an unhappy customer will tell 10".  From the looks of this thread we are telling more than 10.
"a rolling POD gathers no moss"

http://www.aipics.com
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 11:48am
A couple of follow-up conclusions.  It appears that your mileage will be about the same regardless what tow vehicle you are using.  However, trying to pull any 2,000-4000 lb trailer up and down some steep mountains with a 4 or 6 cylinder engine would be quite different that towing with a large V-8 or diesel. I traded in my 6-cyl Jeep Liberty for a full-sized V-8 pickup because I found that the Liberty's engine really didn't have the compression coming down mountain roads to adequately slow down the rig. I don't like my vehicles to red-line in second or first gear or  burning out the trailer's electric brakes!
 The frontal area of the trailer seems to be the most important factor in determining mileage and by how the displaced air is allowed to flow back behind the trailer, not the weight of the trailer.  During the fall simulations, I added a 'square' rear end to the Pod shape and didn't find a significant change in the 'vacuum bubble' sizes and intensities.  Adding small foils to the rear of the tow vehicle did make a slight difference.
I did not add a large foil to the rear of the Pod shape because I couldn't figure out how either Forest River or I could ever beef up my Pod's rear structure to keep a big foil from pulling out of the aluminum framing.
I will, however, do some simulations with larger foils mounted higher on the rear with greater attack angles.
As a conclusion...if you want the least air drag and subsequent better mileage...I think you need to buy a 'pop-up' to get the frontal area down. But I personally didn't want the hassle of cranking up and down my trailer every time I traveled.  My sister had one on which the lift mechanism completely jammed at a campsite.  They ended up cutting the lift cables and hauling it with the dropped roof home.
TIDALWAVE
KJR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 12:33pm
Back in 1986 - 1992 I had a National RV (out of business now) Dolphin Micro-Mini on a Toyota 1 ton chassis with a 2 liter 4 cylinder engine 4 speed with OD transmission. I was able to get about 200-225 miles on a tank (16gallons if I remember correctly). Typically I would put in about 14 gallons of gas. This worked out to be about 15 mpg. I could fill up the tank for about $20 back in those days. This unit was not aerodynamic compared to the Rpod yet it got better mileage than what a lot of people of stated. I would typically drive about 60 mph out of overdrive. Sometimes with a tailwind I would engage the OD. We drove this little motorhome all over Colorado. No issues with the passes. it slowed to 45 mph going up but we kept up with large 5th wheels going up the grades.

Now in 2010 we have more economical and powerfull engines and yet all we can get pulling an Rpod 3000lb trailer is 10mpg. I guess the weight of the TV and the trailer is more than the GVWR of my old Dolphin micro mini motorhome so that must be the issue.

I was hoping a vehicle that gets 20-22mpg would at least get 15mpg towing an RPod at 60mph.
This thread has been a reality check.

Kelvin
tma-333 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 12:36pm
Far from having any expertise in the measurement of air resistance, I can only rely on and relate personal experiences.  Just a month ago I was towing a full size Prowler which was 8' wide by 23 long weighing in a 4000lbs and now I am towing an RP-177  that is 6' wide,, 17' long weighing in at 3000lbs. Although accelaration with the R-Pod is better, I do feel the «air brake» as described by others when I get to the 50-55 mph range.  Evidently, the frontal area, as well as the rear for that matter would be much less.  Height is the same to within a few inches, the a/c is slightly lower profile on the R-Pod.

Also, as a new owner and newcomer to the R-POd forum, I don't know if FR gets involved with the forum, if the information is forwarded by forum moderators or if indivudual owners should all be sending their own info to FR.  I would think FR would be interested if not concerned that these kinds of customers complaints/frustrations/preoccupations are being discussed.  I know if I was in their shoes, I would want to know and would want the opportunity to respond and prove that the issue will be addressed.

At the very least, the efforts of a handfull of individual owners trying to address this issue may benefit all existing owners and future ones.  Especially if FR gets on board in a serious way to correct this issue and communicates their efforts to its owners, as we are doing.

We deserve that much! 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by tma-333

Far from having any expertise in the measurement of air resistance, I can only rely on and relate personal experiences.  Just a month ago I was towing a full size Prowler which was 8' wide by 23 long weighing in a 4000lbs and now I am towing an RP-177  that is 6' wide,, 17' long weighing in at 3000lbs. Although accelaration with the R-Pod is better, I do feel the «air brake» as described by others when I get to the 50-55 mph range.  Evidently, the frontal area, as well as the rear for that matter would be much less.  Height is the same to within a few inches, the a/c is slightly lower profile on the R-Pod.

Also, as a new owner and newcomer to the R-POd forum, I don't know if FR gets involved with the forum, if the information is forwarded by forum moderators or if indivudual owners should all be sending their own info to FR.  I would think FR would be interested if not concerned that these kinds of customers complaints/frustrations/preoccupations are being discussed.  I know if I was in their shoes, I would want to know and would want the opportunity to respond and prove that the issue will be addressed.

At the very least, the efforts of a handfull of individual owners trying to address this issue may benefit all existing owners and future ones.  Especially if FR gets on board in a serious way to correct this issue and communicates their efforts to its owners, as we are doing.

We deserve that much! 

Welcome tma-333!  Personal experience is all most of us have - at least no one has stepped forward and declared themselves a highly educated, professional rocket scientist.  Your input is as good and valued as any other, so feel free.
Also, Tidalwave - thanks for the efforts that you are doing.  You probably already knew, but here is the kind of airfoils that I am talking about (only turned upside down to direct air down the back of the Pod). 

I totally agree that something like this would need to mounted robustly.  If it catches enough air to do any good, it's going to see a large aero load.  Placement (height and on the curve of the rear of the Pod) would be critical to help the problem with minimal drag. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 21>