R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGas Mileage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 21>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Mileage
    Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 7:25pm
Just got a 177 a few weeks ago. I have had same experience as described by most of the posts related to poor mpg and the sense of an anchor being dropped at 55mph.  I tow with an 01 Pathfinder 3,5l rated for 5000 pounds.  I had my R-pod weighed and with no load, just all accessories, 2960lbs. That is a full 1200lbs less than my previous tt in addition to 5 feet less with worse towing results! Ouch! I,M glad FR is on board, too bad they didn,t use the airflow tests in their original design.  I certainly hope for there sake theses threads are not read by prospective R-pod buyers.
Or maybe it should! At the very least, FR might be forced to stopped misleading buyers with their marketing into beleiving they will be buying a tt that is easier to tow because of its lightweight.
As for now, they should be very active in testing all kinds of solutions including all those mentionned here.  Eventually, if they don,t make a move to provide a solution to exisiting customers, these same customers might take to the streets.  There is limit to our love of our little but hard to tow toy.
How about checking out the effectiveness of the same windfoils used by truckers on their semis, must be a reason theses seasoned pros use them.
!!!!!

brownd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 10:18pm

Well, it looks like we have a fair amount of informal but real data to show that wind resistance is what is causing the very poor, 10-12 mpg, that most of us are getting towing the R.Pod.  Following is a summary of what we have seen:

1. Most six and small 8 cylinder suvs or trucks that get 22 – 17 mpg respectively not towing but average just 10-12 mpg towing the rpod.
  2. Most feel the affect of wind about 50-55 mph, and after that reserve power is pretty much gone.
  3. Most are using their transmission without overdrive engaged as instructed in owners manuals but the six cylinder vehicles even though rated for 3500-5000 report their transmissions seem to struggle.
  4. Though most vehicles with 8 cylinder engines share the poor gas mileage with the sixes, it sounds like the extra power makes it easier on their transmissions.
  5. Positives:
    1. Two reports from 173t owners (with the air foil) seem to get 2-3mpg better with their six cylinder suvs.
    2. Twin Kayaks loaded on roof racks forming a V from front to back seem to deflect wind and increase mileage 1-3 mpg.

Techntrek, I doubt we are going to get much more information that is different from what we have seen thus far.  Do you suppose you could talk to your contact at Forest River and see if they are interested in

1.      Doing some controlled studies to either prove or disprove what we are seeing.

2.      More importantly develop or improve the air foil on the 173t and

3.      Develop an aftermarket airfoil for those of us who already own a pod.

4.      Either do testing to find an air deflector that can be mounted on our SUVs

As I stated earlier, from reading all the other posts on Rpod Owners and Rpod Nation forums, most people are happy with the style and functionality of this unit except for the gas mileage issues.  These, in the long term will become transmission issues on the vehicles that this travel trailer is designed for.  Forest River, please help us out.

Thanks
Dave
Runebane View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 8:35am
Not much to add, but my 4 cylinder Toyota Tacoma also gets 10-12mpg while towing the RP-177.  Though I've not noticed hitting a "wall" at 55mph.  It pretty much feels the same all the way up to about 65mph, thats when I feel more drag and the truck having to really work at it.  I usually stay at 60mph.

-Runebane
RP-177
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 1:42pm
Ok, I just copied Dave's post (good summary!) and added the following.  I stuck some email stamps on it and sent it off to FR.

Checking in on the airflow/mpg issue.  We’re up to 10 pages of discussion and one member just posted a pretty thorough summary which I’m copying below.  Bottom line, some people who have towed heavier travel trailers have gotten better mpg, and some who have used kayaks as wind deflectors – and some who have 173T models with the little air foil on the back – do get better mpgs.  So the airflow on non-T models is highly suspect on the ‘pod.  (Dave's info was below this)

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Runebane

Not much to add, but my 4 cylinder Toyota Tacoma also gets 10-12mpg while towing the RP-177.  Though I've not noticed hitting a "wall" at 55mph.  It pretty much feels the same all the way up to about 65mph, thats when I feel more drag and the truck having to really work at it.  I usually stay at 60mph.

-Runebane
WOW I thought I was the only one using a 4cyl to a TV.  I have a Nissan, I get about the same MPG but I do feel a little struggle when it comes to uphills.  Since it's a standard I just grear down. 

So I plan my routes with a little elevation as possible which is pretty hard since I'm at sea level (I rarely go above Longtitude 30 after October anyway).  Summer 2012 is my goal for Yellowstone, Glacier, Etc, I want to keep my 4cyl for around town and hope to pickup a V8 for that trip. 
For now it will take me better park of a year (going camping once a month) just getting to all the State Parks within 400 miles of me.   

LeeClap

Thanks for sending that information for FR it would be in their interest to help us increase our MPG, that would mean happy customers and more sales. 

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
tma-333 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 5:37pm
Thanks for adding your two cents worth to this issue.  I hope to get the chance to test out the big rig airspoilers althought I still resent having to try to correct and issue on a new trailer that should have been and should be addressed by the manufacturer and not individual owners.
If the FR rep is reading this, please give us some reassurance that the matter is being addressed. If your hands are tied, we could put the pressure in the right place if someone could point us in right direction.  I saw a post on this forum from a prospective trailer buyer who had chosen to not purchase and R-Pod.  Although he did not state his reasons, I wonder if it was something he read here.  I know I wonder if I would have purchased and R-Pod with the objective of finding an easier trailer to haul if I had read these treads about all the mpg and towing issues.
Come on Fr, we are giving a friendly headsup, the market place will find out and start sharing their concerns over this issue if you don,t address it... 
tma-333 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 6:01pm
replying to my own post, with the intention a saving and not adding fuel to the issue, pardon the bad pun.

Just follow these links and read on to see that we are not alone in thinking this issue can be resolved.  Some already suggested solutions are addressed but from different angles and users which gives even more credibility to all those who have ventured similar suggestions on this very forum.

Proof that we are not trying to reinvent the wheel, just trying to make it roll with less mpg and drag.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 9:54pm
That first link is to a reply form here on the forum, did you intend a different link?  You can edit your post to change it.
Runebane View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 10:20pm
WOW I thought I was the only one using a 4cyl to a TV.  I have a Nissan, I get about the same MPG but I do feel a little struggle when it comes to uphills.  Since it's a standard I just grear down. 

So I plan my routes with a little elevation as possible which is pretty hard since I'm at sea level (I rarely go above Longtitude 30 after October anyway).  Summer 2012 is my goal for Yellowstone, Glacier, Etc, I want to keep my 4cyl for around town and hope to pickup a V8 for that trip. 
For now it will take me better park of a year (going camping once a month) just getting to all the State Parks within 400 miles of me.   

Yeah, up hills I feel it as well, but nothing so far to give me any real concern.   I have an automatic, but the towing guide for my truck says to use the 1-2-3 gear shift for towing, so I automatically-manually shiftLOL

-Runebane
RP-177
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 9:46am
Interesting.  Usually they just say "turn off overdrive".  Never heard of having to manually handle the gears.  Have you tried to let it shift on its own?  As long as it doesn't hunt up and down a lot you should be OK.  I've found I need to manually downshift to 2nd on hills to keep mine from constantly hunting, but otherwise I let it do its own thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 21>