Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUrgent Petition To Keep RV Campgrounds Open

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 16>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Urgent Petition To Keep RV Campgrounds Open
    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 12:51pm
The arbitrary 5 micron droplet cutoff was not defined by physicists, it was doctors that came up with that, a long time ago. The fluid dynamicists are the ones challenging that. It is an oversimplification that was probably necessary at the time. Fluid dynamics, numerical modeling, and photographic techniques have all advanced dramatically since then. The researchers are not stating a likelihood of infection as a function of distance just that droplets can be viable at longer distance than previously thought.

There is unfortunately an arrogance and dismissive attitude that some md’s display regarding fields they know little about or even ones they did but have not kept up to date on. I have experienced that numerous times in dealing with family health issues. I’m certainly not alone in that. So I do my own research regarding what I’m being told and if it isn’t consistent with the peer reviewed literature I challenge it.

There is a lot of uncertainty regarding conditions resulting in covid19 spread. Certainly the cluster associated with the WA choir indicates that spread from being in the room with a contagious person is likely. And the success in containment in East Asia where folks wear masks and the public health officials emphasize their use also points strongly in that direction.

I personally see no downside to wearing a mask if you use proper donning and doffing procedures and will continue to do so when out in public. There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to don and doff masks, it’s not rocket science.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 3:21pm
MD's aren't the only ones infected with the arrogance virus.  It also affects lawyers, engineers, scientists, in fact, pretty much every human being that has ever existed or will exist.  

An interesting note, in Dr. Kim's interview, he specifically suggested that the act of singing in a choir could spread the virus very efficiently, because all the people are spewing out droplets of saliva as they shout/sing, in effect filling the room with aerosolized virus.  This was in contrast to simply being in the room or near an infected person for a short period of time.  This is consistent with what Dr. Price's comment about most infections of medical staff are where they are involved with patients without protective equipment, suggesting that PPE reduces transmission.

If you are going to wear a mask, be sure to be careful with it after use.  Though it would likely be a very inefficient means of transmission, it can harbor virus particles.  So, best, if the mask is washable to launder it and dry it in a dryer where the heat will kill what the washing machine didn't.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 8:59am
Originally posted by lostagain

MD's aren't the only ones infected with the arrogance virus.  It also affects lawyers, engineers, scientists, in fact, pretty much every human being that has ever existed or will exist.  

An interesting note, in Dr. Kim's interview, he specifically suggested that the act of singing in a choir could spread the virus very efficiently, because all the people are spewing out droplets of saliva as they shout/sing, in effect filling the room with aerosolized virus.  This was in contrast to simply being in the room or near an infected person for a short period of time.  This is consistent with what Dr. Price's comment about most infections of medical staff are where they are involved with patients without protective equipment, suggesting that PPE reduces transmission.

If you are going to wear a mask, be sure to be careful with it after use.  Though it would likely be a very inefficient means of transmission, it can harbor virus particles.  So, best, if the mask is washable to launder it and dry it in a dryer where the heat will kill what the washing machine didn't.  

I assume you left corporate executives and politicians off the list of those infected with arrogance because that is so obvious?LOL

I think some professions reward arrogance more than others. Being cautious and having all one's ducks in a row slows down decision making which can be a bad thing. Science as a profession has more checks and balances in its system than most jobs, before you publish in a peer reviewed scientific journal you better be ready to defend your work. It's far from a perfect system but it has worked well to advance human knowledge for several centuries now. 

As for air based coronavirus transmission, here is an interesting read.

What I've been doing (and I'm open to challenge on the process) is to reuse two surgical masks I had from a small box I bought last fall. I wash hands, put on a mask, go do my shopping, return,  wash hands again, remove the mask by handling only the ear straps. I place the contaminated mask on a shelf, then wash my hands again. Next time I go out I use a second stored mask, then back to the first. As I go out shopping less than once a week it is two weeks or more before I reuse a mask, so I am hoping/assuming that any virus particles on the used masks have become inactivated over those couple of weeks.

Re cloth masks I'm not sure how effective those can be because they have a pretty loose weave.  

Looks like new mask recommendations are imminent from the CDC. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 9:49am
"pretty much every human being that has ever existed or will exist"  --- I was trying to keep it short, make it readable, get my point across, and stay out of politics, religion, guns, etc.  I specifically included "lawyer" because I am one and am as guilty as the next person.

Every day we are learning more about the spread of Covid-19.  Credible scientists acknowledge that is is an issue of probability and that the best we can do is reduce our risk of infection, not eliminate it.

As for mask use, don't forget, especially with masks that can't be laundered, they can harbor a lot more bugs than Covid-19.  They catch mold spores, fungus, bacteria, etc. etc. in a moist humid environment and can grow a zoo of microscopic creatures.  Many of these organism last for weeks and months and when you put the mask on again, you are exposing yourself to the risk of some kind of infection.  Injecting fungus spores into your lungs can often lead to health issues.  

As for masks, they are far from perfect and will not guarantee protection from infection.  Clearly there is a balance between breathability and permeability.  If no air can get in, neither can the virus, but most people would not like the side effects.  There are two reasons to wear a mask made of a filtering medium.  It reduces hand to face contact, a major factor in infection, and it can reduce, not eliminate, the viral load to which you may be exposed.  

As Dr. Kim suggested, we should all use masks as they have in Asian countries for many years.  But we also need to be cognizant of their limitations and risks, and handle them accordingly.

Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 10:32am
Originally posted by lostagain

"pretty much every human being that has ever existed or will exist"  --- I was trying to keep it short, make it readable, get my point across, and stay out of politics, religion, guns, etc.  I specifically included "lawyer" because I am one and am as guilty as the next person.

I was joking... but also just making the point that in some professions you often need a bit more arrogance to be successful, or put more positively, readiness to make timely decisions with limited data. Business, government, military service, and medical practice would fall in that category. Research scientists don't in general get professionally rewarded for that.  No suggestion of any political bias intended. 

You raise a good point about pathogens remaining on reused masks. But I think in the near term I'd rather wear a mask that has a designed for purpose filter medium and then allow it to dry out for a couple of weeks. I'm totally incompetent to try to make something at home in any case. Ouch

At least one medical center in Nebraska is now decontaminating masks with UV light and reusing them. I checked on the 'Zon for UV lights and the suppliers are already either price gouging or out of stock, duh...Think I'll move my mask storage to a sunny window sill and try using good old solar radiation.Tongue

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 10:49am
Oh, where is that tanning bed when I need it?  Cry

According to WHO:  "Heat at 56°C kills the SARS coronavirus at around 10000 units per 15 min (quick reduction)."  Though Covid-19 ain't SARS, it's from the same family and is likely to have the same reaction to heat.  

For those who don't like metric, that's about 133℉.  I think I'd put masks that can't be laundered in something to heat them to that temperature for a while, unless they have components that can't sustain that temperature.  Basically, heat the mask as high as you can without melting it or setting it on fire.  On second thought, setting it on fire will kill pretty much everything it harbors. Shocked

We discussed selling the masks that my wife is making on eBay for $50 or $60 each, but decided, instead to give them away to family and our community.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 10:54am
There is most certainly a trade off between filtering and breathability. This is a relatively good overview of the trade offs. The point being that no filter is perfect, although the N95 masks are considered excellent in terms of both protection and breathability. I believe we should think of face masks as (1) training to remind us not to touch our faces, and (2) protection for others around us just in case we are infected and don't know it.

I also found this discussion from 538 (these guys are all about data). It discusses all the uncertainties about trying to get a handle on where this whole thing is going. We don't know denominators; we don't know numerators; each jurisdiction (city, county, state, country) uses different metrics to describe the same thing; and so on.

I think one of the advantages of the home-made masks is that you could have several of them that you can rotate through the laundry. If the clothes washer does a 45-60 minute cycle, that has to be at least 100X better than washing your hands for 20 seconds.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 11:16am
That article about how hard it is to predict the course of the pandemic reads like the staff at 538 throwing down the gauntlet for Nate Silver. Bet he’s working on a model as we speak. 😜
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Wirat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

I think one of the advantages of the home-made masks is that you could have several of them that you can rotate through the laundry. If the clothes washer does a 45-60 minute cycle, that has to be at least 100X better than washing your hands for 20 seconds.

And with all cloth masks if you washed it/rinsed them by hand you can throw it in the microwave for 35 seconds or so until steaming hot and that nukes just about everything.

I've been sanitizing washcloths as well as planting mediums that way for years. 
2019 R-Pod 191
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 1:31pm
According to the article GlueGuy shared the only material that comes close in filtering micron scale particles to a basic surgical mask is a vacuum cleaner bag which I expect would be hard to breathe through. Think I’ll stay with my couple surgical masks. I doubt the little rubber straps will hold up to much heating and I don’t want to find out the hard way. Maybe the shortage will end and they’ll be available again pretty soon.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 16>