Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUrgent Petition To Keep RV Campgrounds Open

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 16>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Urgent Petition To Keep RV Campgrounds Open
    Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 1:58pm
N-95 masks have metal staples and a metal nose bridge piece in them that complicate microwaving.  If that metal is present in the microwave, you'll probably set the mask on fire.  (As I noted above, that would be an effective way to sterilize it, but reuse could be difficult.) 

Vacuum cleaner bag material would be reasonable for homemade single use masks, but if you've not made a mask before, you'll find that sewing one is time consuming and you'd have to have a pretty good supply of elastic and metal nose bridge strips if you're gong to throw it away after using it.  Also, sewing paper is a little tricky for the inexperiences seamster/ress.  

In our patent pending masks, we line them with microfiber towel material which is very thick and fuzzy (much more so than cotton terrycloth) and has the potential, as noted in the 538 article citing said terrycloth, to snag things passing through.  Whether it will snag a Covid-19 receptor has yet to be proven and will have to be clarified in our patent application.*  The design also allows for the metal nose bridge piece to be removed, should you wish to cook it in the microwave.

We don't recommend making your homemade mask with burlap or coarsely woven plastic sack cloth.  It's really uncomfortable, doesn't conform to your face contours well and smells bad.  Disapprove

*As for our patent claim, I was lying.  Sadly, an all too common practice in this crisis.  We actually have no patent claim and the design open to all.  If anyone would like a picture of the different masks we're making, pm me and I'll get a picture to you as well as the basic pattern.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by offgrid

According to the article GlueGuy shared the only material that comes close in filtering micron scale particles to a basic surgical mask is a vacuum cleaner bag which I expect would be hard to breathe through. Think I’ll stay with my couple surgical masks. I doubt the little rubber straps will hold up to much heating and I don’t want to find out the hard way. Maybe the shortage will end and they’ll be available again pretty soon.

Actually, their bottom line suggested that breathability was probably more important than the filtration efficiency. This is what they stated near the bottom:

Bottom line: Test data shows that the best choices for DIY masks are cotton t-shirts, pillowcases, or other cotton materials.

These materials filter out approximately 50% of 0.2 micron particles, similar in size to the coronavirus. They are also as easy to breathe through as surgical masks, which makes them more comfortable enough to wear for several hours.

Doubling the layers of material for your DIY mask gives a very small increase in filtration effectiveness, but makes the mask much more difficult to breathe through.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by offgrid

That article about how hard it is to predict the course of the pandemic reads like the staff at 538 throwing down the gauntlet for Nate Silver. Bet he’s working on a model as we speak. 😜
Yah. Nate is a major data wonk. In spite of the difficulty, he will probably come up with something.
bp
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 6:37pm
He’ll come up with a Monte Carlo model, similar to his other probabalistic models. If he could make one for the fiendishly complicated presidential primary process coronavirus should be a piece of cake.
It’ll crunch through 100k trials and tell us how likely we all are to die. 😱.

Then he’ll probably put the code on a thumb drive and lock it in a drawer. 🤐

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 6:39pm
Our smooth cloth (like a sheet) and microfiber liner masks are pretty comfortable and easy to breath through.  We could probably make them with just the micro fiber cloth, but they'd be ugly Costco towel yellow.  The outer cover is a happy, colorful print that lifts the spirits of all but grumpy old men.  In fact, the mask can be worn without the microfiber liner for those who enjoy taking a little more risk.  

One of the key parts of a mask is a good snug fit, so all the air entering passes through the cloth.  The hardest part is around the bridge of one's nose.  Some sort of a shape holding element is needed.  We use a little metal strips that I fashioned from a Colombian soda cracker can.  

Speaking of Colombia, they have implemented a system in their larger cities that is similar to their pico y placa (a system of excluding cars by license plate number on certain days) for going out to take care of necessities in the general quarantine.  People can go out and take care of necessities like buying groceries and such only on certain days based upon the last number of your "cedula" or national ID card.  So if your number ends in 5 you can only go out of your home on Tuesday, and so on.  It's keeping the contacts very limited in an otherwise extremely social country.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 6:41pm
New mask guidance is finallyout, we’re now supposed to wear them when we go to the store or pharmacy. Lostagain your fortune is made.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 9:44am
Originally posted by lostagain

Our smooth cloth (like a sheet) and microfiber liner masks are pretty comfortable and easy to breath through.  We could probably make them with just the micro fiber cloth, but they'd be ugly Costco towel yellow.  The outer cover is a happy, colorful print that lifts the spirits of all but grumpy old men.  In fact, the mask can be worn without the microfiber liner for those who enjoy taking a little more risk.   

We found that we can make a cotton mask and cut a regular shop towel (the blue things on a roll) into a 1/4 sheet. We make the mask with a slip-in pocket, and just slip the 1/4 towel in as a "filter". After your outing, take out the towel and toss it; put the cotton mask in the laundry. There was a "no sew" plan for making a whole mask out of one of those towels just using staples and a couple pieces of elastic.

Originally posted by lostagain

One of the key parts of a mask is a good snug fit, so all the air entering passes through the cloth.  The hardest part is around the bridge of one's nose.  Some sort of a shape holding element is needed.  We use a little metal strips that I fashioned from a Colombian soda cracker can. 
We looked around for suitable wire. I tried stranded THHN wire, but it was too flexible. I tried copper wire stripped from Romex, but the only thing I had was 12 gauge; way to stiff. Then we tried collar stays from the notions drawer; not quite long enough (they are 3 to 3-1/2 inches long). Finally, I pulled out some .032 stainless safety wire. A tiny bit on the too stiff side, but it works. I cut about a 6" length, and use needle nose pliers to make a little loop at each end to avoid the sharp end.
bp
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 10:33am
The worldometers coronavirus website has added a couple of columns on testing levels. Looks like the US testing level has really picked up and we now have run more tests than any other country. Because we’re a very large country that still only puts us at about 0.4% of total population, about mid pack. The countries with the highest testing levels other than a couple of really tiny ones are still only in the 1-2 percent range.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 1:39pm
I saw this last night. It's a trace of the lineage of the CV in Northern California. It has NOT been peer reviewed yet, so it is hot off the presses. 

Warning: It is relatively dense and technical.

A couple of interesting tidbits:
  1. The "WA1" strain, which was first identified in Bedford Washington on January 19.
  2. The first community transmitted case (UC1) was in late February and was the guy who died near Sacramento. He had (apparently) transferred it to some of the crew and passengers on the Grand Princess on a trip to Mexico.
  3. They have identified at least 8 different strains of COVID-19 just in Northern California.
bp
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 2:25pm
For a simple mind like mine, the big takeaway was: to stop the spread of Covid-19 measures such as social distancing, stay at home policies, and avoidance of travel can reduce its spread.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 16>