R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow-Haul Mode Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow-Haul Mode Questions
    Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 12:25pm
I just traded in my Jeep Liberty for a 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 pickup with 5.3L V-8 engine and
6 speed electronic auto-transmission.  The pickup has 'tow-haul mode'.  I have never owned a vehicle
before that has 'tow-haul'.  The owners manual states 'use tow-haul when pulling a heavy trailer'.
I just got back from a 500 mile camping trip with the R-Pod. Going out I used tow-haul and mpg ranged from 7 to 11 mpg...this is not better than the mileage on my 30 ft RV with Vortec V-10!
On the way back I didn't use tow-haul and mileage ranged from 9 to 15 mpg. 
Since not using tow-haul I get a 40% or better increase in mpg...
Can I just tow in standard mode?  I realize that I probably will use tow-haul when going over
hilly roads.

TIDALWAVE
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 2:36pm
Usually buttons like that take you out of overdrive, that would explain the change in mpg.  My minivan has an overdrive on/off and the manual states to turn it off for towing.  The button could do other things like change the shift points of the transmission, modify engine timing, maybe rev limit, all which could give more power while also reducing mpg. 

A quick look online shows a top towing limit of either 6100 or over 10,000 pounds.  Assuming you are towing about 3000 pounds with the 'pod loaded up for a trip you are at either 50% or 30% of your total capacity so you could get away with not using tow mode until you hit hills, as you said.  If you don't use tow mode on hills you'll probably find the transmission downshifts more than you want.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
gepaine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 1:33am
My Escalade's owner's manual says that tow/haul mode is most effective when pulling a load that is at least75% of the Escalade's tow capacity. (My tow capacity is 8100 lbs and our POD weighs 3100 packed for camping.) I plan on only using tow/haul mode in the mountains because the manual also states that this mode will reduce your mpg. (Ours also provides additional engine braking when going downhill - another mpg reducer, but also a brake saver too.)
Gene & Linda - 2007 Escalade - 24-Foot Keystone Cougar TT - Life is not just about gas mileage!
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 3:49pm

I have the '08 version of your truck, and from what I've been able to decipher from the owner's manual, the pod doesn't weigh enough to make the tow-haul mode absolutely necessary. I also noticed the decrease in gas mileage when using it, so normally when on the flat an level I leave it off.

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
Cheerz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 8:08am
I just picked up my rpod over the weekend and am looking forward to my first camping trip with it next week.  I'm pulling it with a 6 cyl 2005 Jeep Liberty 4x4. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 11:00am
Welcome Cheerz!  Let us know which model you got, you can add it to your "signature" line if you want.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
barbanjoe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 4:08pm
Welcome! We also have a 171 we tow with a 2002 jeep liberty 4x4 v-6, picked up the pod in february and been out 7 times now. When towing take the jeep out of overdrive or else your trans will constantly shift and risk burnout. Your fuel economy when towing will be much lower, we range from 10-12 miles per gallon. On large hills it is second gear, 4500 rpm and 35-45 miles an hour to get over especially if tanks are full.  We love the pod, wanted to keep the jeep and with care it all works out.
BarbanJoe
010 Rpod 171
02 Jeep 4x4
12 Ram 1500
Cheerz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 8:01am
Thank you! I've updated my signature. Mine is a 175, and I keep looking at it sitting in the driveway and am really looking forward to trying it out next week in Brown County IN.
Cheerz - 175
Cheerz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 8:04am
I didn't realize there was an overdrive button until about 10 minutes into the trip home with the new camper last weekend, but I found it quickly when looking for a tow mode. It's heavier than my old popup, but I'm glad to have found something so nice and well under the Liberty's tow capacity.
Cheerz - 175
 Post Reply Post Reply