R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrear bike rack weight question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: rear bike rack weight question
    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 12:50pm
2010 Rpod 151

SO I plan to get an adapter from 1 1/4" to 2"  like the Max haul which has a 4 " rise..weighs 10lbs...
My rack weighs 52 lbs and my bike weighs 30 lbs.... Would you be comfortable putting that on the back hitch where the spare tire is?  I'll just put the tire in the front compartment..I called forest river and they said 150 lb weight limit but Im wondering since the adapter sticks out a bit as does the bike rack if that changes anything on the force of the load....I sucked at physics so :-) Thanks for the replies in advance

crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 2:15pm
Do a search on this site about that.  A lot of comments that the hitch is to weak for that.
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Medicine Wolf

2010 Rpod 151

SO I plan to get an adapter from 1 1/4" to 2"  like the Max haul which has a 4 " rise..weighs 10lbs...
My rack weighs 52 lbs and my bike weighs 30 lbs.... Would you be comfortable putting that on the back hitch where the spare tire is?  I'll just put the tire in the front compartment..I called forest river and they said 150 lb weight limit but Im wondering since the adapter sticks out a bit as does the bike rack if that changes anything on the force of the load....I sucked at physics so :-) Thanks for the replies in advance

I would not do that. The 1-1/4" receiver is weak to begin with, and adding a 2" adapter will just increase the moment arm, which will reduce the capacity even more. I think the maximum weight of the 1-1/4" receiver is only 50 lbs to begin with. So you are over the limit without the adapter. This is bad juju.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 2:48pm
FR says 1 1/4 max weight is 125-150. Any extension decreases that.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 8:20pm
Hanging 80+ pounds out on the 2" extender is asking for trouble. The extender adds a significant moment arm to an already undersized mount. The rear bumper of a TT is a very rough environment with lots of bouncing and whipping. FR sells a very light weight carrier for two bikes and usually will not warrant anything else. Their carrier is pricey but a similar one can be found on Amazon. I used one for several years with two bikes with no problems. 
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 8:20am
We got a 1 1/4" shaft bike rack for our Pod from Amazon and it worked fine.  Since getting the Sonoma we got a 2" bolt on receiver for the square bumper, put a sleeve in it for 1 1/4" and are using the same rack.  We took it on a 1000 mi. trip and had no issues.

Here is one they offer, though not the one we bought, that will fit a 1 1/4" receiver:  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 8:59am
I have a 2019 179 and used the 1 1/4" rear receiver with a yakima bike rack built for 2 bikes (which can be used on a 1 1/4" or 2" receiver and went on a 6000 mile trip out to NM had no problems.  Later last year during the summer I noticed that one weld had broken where the square tubing, that the receiver is mounted to, is secured to the frame/leveling jack.  I was very uncomfortable with this situation because the bike rack load puts a lot of twisting stress on the square tubing and that is the receiver's only point of attachment.  My remedy was going to the local fab shop and have a rear bumper fabed up and installed to the frame of the trailer then bolt a 2" receiver to the bumper and the 1" square tubing that the factory receiver was attached to.  This seems to resolved the problem. 
Jay

179/2019
Medicine Wolf View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 11:07am
Ill just get the swagman that goes on the back of the truck over the rpod hitch
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 12:04pm
That will work but keep in mind that you will be increasing your tongue weight.
Jay

179/2019
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 1:26pm
We have been using the Sportwing 2 bike rear mounted rack (this is the one approved by Forest River) for 4 years with no problems and no apparent weakening of the hitch. As they say "your results may be different". It also has the advantage of being able to be moved quickly to the TV hitch when you want to go riding somewhere away from your trailer.
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>