Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCamping in the Cold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camping in the Cold
    Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 2:15pm
I am thinking of being someplace where the day temps are in the mid 30's and the night temps run from single didget to mid teens.

I know there must be experienced Winter campers out there. What do you do to protect pipes from freezing and anything else I need to know.

Thanks
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 4:38pm
At those temps everything underneath would need to be wrapped in heated blankets and heated pipe wrap (tanks, PEX piping), with insulation over that.  With the low clearance of the 'pod it might not survive road travel unless you have the risers.  During travel the tanks may not freeze due to the constant motion and volume of water, but I would worry about the pipes.  You could get around this by using an inverter in the TV (tow vehicle) to supply power to the heating elements while you travel but they might require more power than you can supply w/o major modifications.

Might be easier to create insulated walls that you wrap around the bottom like a skirt, then put a space heater underneath.  But, this doesn't give you any protection while traveling.

Another issue is your water source.  Most places turn the water off over the winter.  If its on you'll need to wrap everything above ground in heated pipe wrap, including your hose.  If campsite water is off you may be able to fill up your tank from a centralized drain-back water spigot if they have one.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 6:06pm
I won't be traveling in snow, it will be in South Tennessee into South West North Carolina.
So with movement, won't that keep underneath warm enough.
Can you open the cabinet door that has the sink pipes and wrap those extra? I remember wrapping the pipes outside and keeping a small drip going while up in the mountains fo Colorado, this on a coach.
So, are we saying our Pods are not up to some Winter camping, I don't mean Nannock of the North kind of stuff and no snow.
I will look into some of the things you have recommended. Thanks
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
dubhtaigh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 6:23pm
I am in a similar circumstance. Just bought a new RP-173. I am very confused about it. The manual seems generic to fifth wheels and not Rpod specific. I wish I had an Rpod for Dummies book. I won't be going on the road until December than heading South and Southwest, but how do I manage going through different climates? Do I travel with the pod winterized and not flush it until I'm sure I won't hitting freezing weather?
I need all the help I can get! Thanks!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 8:29am
The reason I am listed as a "senior member" is because I have asked so many questionsCry

Your location in Maryland has you a bit colder than where I am, but my mountain location might even us up.  And as you know, some Winters are harsh like the last one up your way. If you have a normal one there might not be as much concern and since you would be heading South it Might get better. Now, having said this, it is only speculation.
BUT you have come to the right place, both this site and R.podNation has experienced people willing to help.
Like your 173, now that I have a Pod(and feel very lucky to have one at all) that looks like a good configration. Mine is the 171, great for 1 person and a dog, but the bed end gets pretty busy when you have to move out into the "hallway".  Have only taken it out once, just have had it less than 2 months.
And it IS frustrating that Forest River has not put out something that is just POD.
I bet there is enough experience out there with Podders to write a Pod of DummiesStar
Between now and January I am going to be digging for information, even if I have to call Forest River, to find out what needs to be done for Winter travel. I have just joined RVW, rving women, and they might have some information. If so, will pass it on. They are traveling in everything, but I would think what was done for an RV could be applied to our rig. Also, the Sisters on the Fly organization might have some information on the Southwest travel. THEY have everything you can imagine! Even one Pod that I have seen on their site pictures. So, those are places for us to start for experienced information.
AND BEWARE! People are curious about your PodLOL. And there are other Podders out there that come visiting if they hear you are camping! Love it.
Good luck, will be following your posts and answers in order to gather information myself.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 9:06am
Originally posted by dubhtaigh

I won't be going on the road until December than heading South and Southwest, but how do I manage going through different climates? Do I travel with the pod winterized and not flush it until I'm sure I won't hitting freezing weather?

That's exactly what we did last February when we went from MI to FL and back. It took us 2 days on the road going down; the first night they actually had more snow in KY than we had in MI. We spent that night in a motel. The second night was spent in GA where the evening temps were predicted to be in the low 40s, so we were able to stay in the pod.

On the way back, we knew we'd travel far enough north our first day that freezing would be an issue, so we winterized before we left,  and stayed 2 nights in motels on the way home.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 9:22am

I found the place (and I have not used it yet) to go for some information , maybe.

Forum home>Warranty, Service and Recall>Forest River Contacts>
              Kristin Griffin might be the one to ask our questions.

I have emailed RVingWomen AND Sisters on the Fly to see if I get some answers back also. Will let you know.

As you already see, there are answers coming in already.

And thank you all for those answers from your experience

Escape PodBig smile
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
dubhtaigh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 10:11am
How grateful I am for your help. I'll be a woman and cat traveling alone, so you can imagine how much help my cat will be! So I'm going to look into those other forums. Thanks HuronSailor and mountain mist!
I need all the help I can get! Thanks!
tdrace View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 7:33pm

I too am a single woman with a dog. I winterize my r-pod and use the restrooms at the campground. That way I am not worried about freezing the pipes. I always camp with electric hook ups. I use an electric heater instead of using the propane for my furnace. My first trip was New Years Eve and it was 25 degrees. I watched television and slept real cozy. I couldn't believe all the campers that were there with christmas trees. I had a great time and enjoyed the cold weather.

tdrace's
2018 180
2010 FORD F150 V-8
equalizer e-2 hitch
Sisters on the Fly #1569

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 10:12am
I just lost a post to youStar out there in the ether someplace

I am not single, but dogs not allowed (and I would be in class all day anyway) and husband, unless he was taking a class, would not care to go.

Would you mind giving me the details of how you winterize(I have read others, but everyone counts). Leave out nothingCry
Also, what kind of electric heater do you use (and why you prefer that to the propane)
This is a full hook-up campground, but I don't use my bathroom yet, so this would not be a hardship
Do you take bottled water? With stuff in the lines, you do not clean up after cooking. How do you work that?

Thank you for ALL the information you can impart.

Escape Pod

'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>