R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA/C issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: A/C issues
    Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 6:31pm
We took out 'pod out for the first time about a month ago and couldn't get the A/C to work.  I borrowed a friend's 3k watt generator to see if I was just doing something wrong or if I need to bring it in for service.   Basically every time I turn on the A/C it trips the generators fault and I have to restart the generator.  If I turn it on low fan first, then switch to A/C it will either trip the fault or it will pretend I still just want fan only.  I can hear the A/C trying to kick on and sometimes it sounds like it does only no cold air.

At my friends recommendation I turned off the breaker for the Microwave & refrigerator and when I try to run the A/C the condenser it keeps trying to kick on constantly.  I turned it off after 5 attempts since if it's not broken I don't want to break it.   Now, the A/C only needs ~2400 watts surge and 2100-2200 continuous.  The generator I was using is 3k surge and like 2500-2600 continuous.   

I'd really, really rather not spend the 4 hours driving it back to the dealer to get it repaired if it's just something I'm doing wrong or if it turns out to just be the cable going from the generator to the RV.   So I'm hoping those of you with lots of experience with this can help Big smile

Thank you,

Runebane
RP-177
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 9:19pm

I posted a few weeks ago that I tested all of the appliances on the 'pod, and the A/C uses 1000 watts continuous, fan on low and compressor on.  What I was using to measure wasn't fast enough to catch the starting surge but I just can't see a 3 kw genset not handling it.  By your description it sounds like your compressor is bad.  Have you tried running it from your house?  If its good, you'll have no problem running it from a 15 amp outlet (with an adapter).

Note that we've tripped the power pole breaker when we've tried using the microwave, A/C and the electric element on the water heater all at the same time.  About right, since just those 3 together adds up to 4 kw with my measurements (plus add a few lights, the fridge in AC mode and you are up to 4.3 kw).  Way over the 3600 watts a 30 amp breaker will handle.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
FuzzySproket View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 6:37pm
I'd have to agree with Doug, it sounds like a compressor problem, it could be as simple as a bad starting capacitor or it could be the compressor either way you need a service call.
Tom & Cindy
2010 174 RPod
2013 Ford F250
Runebane View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 9:14pm
I thought that's what I'd end up having to do, but hope does spring eternal ;)

Thank you both for your quick responses.   Unfortunately, I won't be able to take it in for a couple weeks...  Unless the RV place in town can do Forest River warranty repair work...  worth a check to find out since they're 10 minutes away instead of 4 hours away ;)
RP-177
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 11:10pm
Any Forest River dealership can do it even if they don't sell 'pods.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Runebane View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 8:01am
Yeah, the good news is they do.  So yay, I don't have to drive 4 hours to get it fixed.  Unfortunately, I have to call today to make the appointment, the service department was closed when I stopped by after work yesterday.   Hopefully I can just drop it off before or after work on Friday since I'll be out of town all next week.

/edit:  Well the baby is in the shop, they're gonna look at it Monday.   They'll be fixing it while I'm out of town Big smile.    And no charge to hold onto it until I get back Shocked

/edit2:  After 3 weeks of "testing" Demetic finally decided to replace the whole AC unit.   The new unit should be in middle of next week and they promised to make it a high priority install once they get the unit.  I think they're tired of me calling LOL.   I should get it back just in time for labor day weekend ;)   
RP-177
 Post Reply Post Reply