R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLoading and balancing the trailer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loading and balancing the trailer
    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 2:37pm
What I really like about this is not only can you see what is happening, yet work out options of placement of goods and the results.

The biggest thing 'I' see immediately, is working on my battery base! It changes so much so quickly!

I have a 38ah lithium that I do use, yet working out how to make it 'house' on the tongue and larger capacity elsewhere.. Hmm.. Now I can play with this and 'know' what the results could be. 
But that's another thread!

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

Being hard for me to understand how the 107lbs come back into play again, I used the math you have shown me. Load (253lbs) x distance to axle (66") / Distance to hitch (156"). That solves at 107lbs. 

What I have just learned is that by counter-balancing I'm placing the full weight of the object on the axle. Guess I should have realized that, yet hoped it would not.

"What is your Taco's hitch weight limit? Do you really need to keep the hitch weight down to 420 lbs?"  

650lbs. This exercise is to show me what and where. I do believe I carry approximately 200+lbs aft of axle. I will discover how much and where I actually carry. At 400-420lbs I have no requirement for WDH. So ya, I'd like to keep it in that range. Will it end up there? Only completing this exercise and knowing what I have can I make that decesion.

107 lbs of trailer weight isn't "coming back", it never went away. If the total trailer weight goes up 253 lbs and the hitch weight goes down 107 lbs (because we fooled with the moments around the axle) then the axle weight goes up 360 lbs. Has to or we would be destroying 107 lbs matter, which Einstein says we can't do without creating one heluva big explosion (about 1000 megatons if I did my math right) Star

If you have 650 lb capacity on the Taco I highly recommend that you let it take some more tongue load rather than put that onto the relatively weak trailer frame and axle. If you end up wanting a wdh to help the truck ride better then that won't hurt anything. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 2:18pm
Ran to the dump in hopes of returning and hitting the scales.. Way too busy after the Nor'easter we went through. I will go Monday and confirm base weight.

What I really like about the spreadsheet, is I can work items into places and see the effect on both the axle & the tongue. I am having fun with this and loading accordingly.

I have decided that the dual 6v's are coming off and my small lithium (40ah) issuing in the camper as house power. So I ran numbers..

The spot I've chosen is the compartment of the water & trailer heaters. I have space there. Though now is I could easily buy another (when the sale happens) and double up to 80ah. I'd be very happy with that!
Next is the spare is now in the camper (instead of the truck bed) and under the rear bunk (182g here). With the batteries of the hitch frame, I can now get my bike there (which I've always wanted to bring along). 

With all these changes, I fall right into where I hoped to be. 420lbs on the hitch & 3320lbs on the axle. 12% hitch weight! I put just my Curt Sway (maybe even sell my E2 WDH) and I'm rock n rolling again with even more cargo space in the TV!

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 11:41am
Just returned from the scales. Saturday is the only day they us locals to come by and weigh. It's quite busy there on weekdays (scales anyway).

Wow, did I over-estimate my base weight.. My weight on axle was lower than what I estimated the base at.. Anywho, all is good now with 'real' base numbers! This is partially loaded. First section is actual weights, second section is the math. 

The Scales!

Truck hitched

Trailer total weight

Truck n Trailer

Trailer axle weight

Trailer hitched

Tongue weight

Truck alone

I will continue to weigh as I finish loading, yet I can see where I'm headed now. About 3100#'s on the axle and 475#'s on the hitch. 

Here's where my curiosity on switching to lithium comes in for me. The weight savings allows me to put the bikes on the trailer (where the batteries were) and puts me right at 3K on the axle and 435#'s on the hitch. And I still have 100ah capacity!! Win, win! 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 3:49pm
I use the "pack whatever stuff I want and go" formula. So far Ive had no trouble. Smile  Luckily I can carry alot in the camper, and in the bed of the truck.  
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

I use the "pack whatever stuff I want and go" formula. So far Ive had no trouble. Smile  Luckily I can carry alot in the camper, and in the bed of the truck.  

Hear ya, I did somewhat the same, yet hit the scales before I left. I just needed to know.

With what I just went through with my frame, I needed to know more. With this spreadsheet I can say what I have without doubt. What I do see was I was heavy on the tongue a bit, yet still light on the axle.

I built this spreadsheet for me. Ya, selfless and self bearing. Hopefully it can help another. This is part of understanding why my frame not only bent, but fractured. I weighed in at 3200 lbs at most on departure, yet mis-factored my tongue weight. I don't believe that caused the issue yet still working through understanding all parts of this. I truly don't wish anyone to go through what I have if it's preventable. 

Mounting a bike rack up front, going to dual 6's, adding that second propane tank, carrying whatever/where-ever does mean quite a it. It amazed me how much it means. 

What happened to me, as I'm seeing, was not a singular incident. Situations, bumps, whatever's accumulating to the result. I believe now it is so important to know what you carry, what it's doing and how to place it. 

Just me.. MHO... Wishing no one else goes through what I did.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 4:38pm
I do believe I finally have the spreadsheet running correctly. If anyone wishes 'proof' it I will happily pass it along for so.

I do not wish to pass it Publicly until it's been proofed and 'all' agree. There's enough BS out there, as I do not wish this to become part of, I feel we need something that actually shows/works. 

At this point the math will show what leaving a full beer on the counter means.. That is if you measure correctly and weigh correctly.

Those interested, contact me.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123