R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRelocate Electric Hot Water Switch - Event Date: 12 Jul 2010

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Relocate Electric Hot Water Switch
    Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 3:11pm
I want to relocate my hot water switch inside. I have read on posts about it being done. I haven't looked closely at what is involved so if anyone has and tips or suggestions before I get started it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
2010 R-Pod 177 / 2009 GMC Canyon 4X4

Gerald, Lydia and The Boys (2 Shelties)......Canuck Podders
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 12:13am
I want to do the same thing.  I remember someone that did it said there was enough spare wire that they were able to just reroute the line and add a new switch.  I haven't looked at mine yet to see.  If there isn't enough I'm considering installing a 12 volt - to - 120 volt relay in the water heater cabinet and then just running 12 volt wires up to the new mounting location.  With a good source of 12 volts already available in the 'pod this wouldn't be much harder.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 12:38pm
I did that mod over on the other forum a while ago. Here's a link with pics if you're interested:

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
melp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 2:24pm
I just shut the water heater off at the circuit breaker. No running wires, no fooling around.   It's off.
melp
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by HuronSailor

I did that mod over on the other forum a while ago. Here's a link with pics if you're interested:

A few years ago, I purchased a switch that would light up when it was turned on.  I installed it to remind me if I left our overhead attic at home was left on.  I believe I found it at Lowe's. 

I like your mod and will be adding an accessible switch (hopefully with an indicator light) very soon.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 5:41pm
I do the same as melp, it just seems easier as we never leave the water heater just run all the time. Flip it on during breakfast, flip it off after and there is hot water until dinner.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 6:00pm
Hmm, melp's suggestion actually might make adding a switch inside easier.  Just tap into the line running from the converter to the water heater, adding a switch in series (cut the black wire, leave the white wire intact).  At least on the 171 that wiring would already be running right behind the spot where I would add an inside switch.  No need to route the wiring back from the water heater.  Then just leave the original switch outside set "on". 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Goose

I do the same as melp, it just seems easier as we never leave the water heater just run all the time. Flip it on during breakfast, flip it off after and there is hot water until dinner.   Goose
Goose, is there a reason you don't leave it on all the time while camping?  I'm just wondering if it is a safety-type of thing that we should be considering when we are out.  P
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 9:13am
I've wanted to do this for a long time.  We ususally turn ours on at night when we go to bed, and then off again after morning showers.  I'll have to check my breaker box, didn't know the water heater was on it's own separate breaker.

The reason we do this is just to have less stuff running during the day.  Several campgrounds we visit are notorious for brownouts.  Just keeping the AC running on a hot summer days along with the fridge is problematic some places.

Most places I could easily run ever single appliance and sometimes have the microwave or convection oven going at the same time, however just to not even have to consider a breaker tripping while we might be away for a day trip, we always turn off our water heater.  We don't want our doggies getting hot inside the Pod while we're off at the pool or something.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 7:00pm
I also use the circuit breaker inside to shut off the WH. Easy and it's already there. The only thing missing might be the red light warning that the electric element is on. Handy if you have an empty WH tank, but by the time you notice it, the damage is done. Unhappy

I have begun to switch off the electric element and switch the fridge to gas when leaving the site after having a weak 30 amp breaker on the camp pole trip while I was away. The A/C might trip the pole breaker, but I don't lose the fridge (ice cream Big smile).
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply