R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWDH or no WDH???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: WDH or no WDH???
    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 8:47am
They function differently, simply air bags lift the rear but do not have the same weight transferring capability as a WDH.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 9:36am
+1. Air bags and helper springs don’t transfer any load back to the front axle, or reduce the load on the TV rear axle. What they do is make the TV ride more level by lifting the rear axle height. I’d go with a WDH first and only add airbags if you’re still not satisfied with the rear ride height of your tv after adjusting the wdh properly. If you do run both then adjust the wdh after airing up the bags. If you do it the other way around the two systems will be fighting each other.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 9:43am
The Hensley (what we now have) has a lot going for it which it should. Not only does it remove the primary cause of sway (the truck can turn the trailer, but the trailer can't turn the truck), but it also offers WD. The Hensley Cub (with the jack screws) is easy to use. I tried the Swift Cub (with chains and snap-up lever and less expensive than the jack screws) but found that too difficult for me with my arthritis. One big down side though is the WD bars are low. I wish they would redesign it to have bars like the trunion bars that plug into sockets like the Equal-i-zer. That would make for better ground clearance.

As for air bags, I opted for SumoSprings, which are urethane springs that replace the bump stop on our Frontier. The leaf springs are well worn and soft so the SumoSprings improve the ride and keep the truck from bottoming out when we hit bumps. Even with WD, it was not the best ride before I installed the SumoSprings. I still need the WD of the Hensley Cub, but think they would be great with a different WD hitch also. The WD is still needed to transfer weight to the front axle for steering, even if it isn't needed to lift the back end as much. With this combination, I find I am no longer bottoming out when I exit or back into my driveway.

I started with the blue (1000 lbs) springs but switched to the black (1500 lb) springs. I have been quite pleased with the performance of the SumoSprings. The yellow (2000 lb, I think) springs would have been too much. The advantage of the urethane springs is that they are not subject to punctures and loss of air. For us, they really improved the ride also.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

I tow with my Tacoma. I would think the same option for all 1/2 ton TV's.. 
What's the thought on air-bags vs. WDH. 
You would want to go with WD first and air-bags second. Air-bags will lift the rear, but will not affect the weight transfer from the front wheels. Keeping the front (steering) wheels firmly planted is more important than just leveling the vehicle.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 11:29am
Guys, I have the Fastway E2 round bar. I bought it mainly due to costs. It wasn't that much more than a really good anti-sway system.

I've always felt I have no need for WD except to raise the Taco to level when towing. Same can be done with quality air bags. 

Now yes, WD does sends weight forward. I never gone through how much actually makes it to the front tires. My understanding is 2/3'rds forward and 1/3rd back on the trailer. With that said, how is that additional weight is effecting the A hitch/tongue frame? I believe quite a bit.

I'll also say that this would not be a option for many out their towing with lighter vehicles. 

It's interesting Stephen that you have both..  
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 12:41pm
Here is a good towing calculator, I've checked the math in it and its right. 

You will need some actual weights and  dimensions to run it. The intent with a WDH is to get the weight on the front axle back to where it was without the trailer on there. You control that by how much tension you put on the spring bars. You won't end up with the exact 2/3 1/3 distribution unless by chance, the actual distribution is determined by the TV wheel base, the distance from the TV rear axle to the ball, and from the ball to the trailer axle. 

A 182 on a Taco is a pretty heavy load, I would think a wdh would be a good investment. It definitely helps out with my Highlander, I wouldn't tow without one. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 1:36pm
I will run it. Thank you!

You're a pretty smart dude and appreciate your input. So here's the question..

A WDH sends weight forward, I get that. What I don't get is how it's different from upping the rear suspension. Your transferring weight onto the TV frame through the hitch. The frame now has additional weight, no? In my mind, as you adjust the hitch, you're adjusting that weigh forward/back to balance the TV. It also seems to me you actually place more stress upon the tongue frame to do so.

I'm just a simple person that tries to understand these things and I'll tell ya... This WDH confuses the heck out out me.. 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

I will run it. Thank you!

You're a pretty smart dude and appreciate your input. So here's the question..

A WDH sends weight forward, I get that. What I don't get is how it's different from upping the rear suspension. Your transferring weight onto the TV frame through the hitch. The frame now has additional weight, no? In my mind, as you adjust the hitch, you're adjusting that weigh forward/back to balance the TV. It also seems to me you actually place more stress upon the tongue frame to do so.

I'm just a simple person that tries to understand these things and I'll tell ya... This WDH confuses the heck out out me..
That's the whole point. The tongue weight that is shifted toward the front axle is actually removed from the rear axle. Hence, with the right setup, air bags probably won't be needed in the first place AND you won't be unloading the weight on the front axle. 

There is a small amount of weight shifted toward the trailer axle, but depending on the moment arms between the hitch and the trailer axle, it might be a lot less than you might anticipate.

The only downside to a WDH (in my mind) is the small amount of time it takes to connect it up when you go on a trip.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 1:52pm
I think the 50% number is interesting. That's the figure we use in motorcycle touring for trailer towing also...except there is no such thing as a wdh for motorcycle trailers....that figure is considered as a rule-of-thumb weight limit of the trailer, for safety. 

My pickup with myself and all gear aboard (and the topper) weighs about 7200 pounds....and the r-pod weighs about 3000 or so....give or take on both. 

That is probably the reason I don't feel the need for a wdh or sway control. The pickup has 'authority' over the r-pod at all times when towing. Never a hint of sway.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

That's the whole point. The tongue weight that is shifted toward the front axle is actually removed from the rear axle. Hence, with the right setup, air bags probably won't be needed in the first place AND you won't be unloading the weight on the front axle. 

Well, that is the point. How? 
The weight being transferred forward is on the hitch, connected to the frame. The point of weight is at the rear. You didn't change the fulcrum point, you adjusted it. 

I honestly don't get the physic's behind this.. I see more of reduction of weight forward to balance the TV and more being send back to the TT to balance. In my mind I also see additional stress on the tongue frame. But what do I know..

Please explain how.. I'm very curious!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>