R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMeasured wattage of 'pod appliances

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Measured wattage of 'pod appliances
    Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 7:26am
The Yamaha EF2400iSHC is marketed specifically for "HIGH CURRENT SURGE OUTPUT - Using the latest inverter technology the EF2400iSHC provides quicker reaction time to load and reduced current drop at start-up. This enables efficient starting of most 13,500 btu RV air conditioners."

Apart from that, you'll likely have to go to a 3000 watt unit to be confident that a generator will start your A/C.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 12:04pm
Ok, quick question. If we are using more than the 30 amp hookup will cover, does it damage the rpod or just not let you use something? I am completely ignorant toanything electric so please be gentle in your laughter!!
2014 rpod 182G
Ford Expedition
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 1:42pm
The main breaker will trip.  Just disconnect (or unplug) whatever is causing the excess current draw.  When we lived in the Midwest, we sometimes wanted to use 2 1500 watt electric heaters.  Our 30 amp service was not adequate for both plus the incidentals that we wanted to use.  My solution was to install a separate 20 amp plug on the exterior of the trailers and install a dedicated outlet just for that input.  A separate 12 gauge extension cord was then plugged into the campgrounds electrical box, and in effect, we ended up with 50 amp service.  That outlet was reserved for the second portable electric heater, and used only when we needed the added heat.  Just a thought.

The pods are so small, the need for this additional capacity is probably not needed.

Bob 
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 8:34pm
Thanks Bob. I really wish I had found electronics and autoshop more interesting when I was younger!!
2014 rpod 182G
Ford Expedition
rokndrumr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 4:26pm
I was just looking at that very same EF2400iSHC Yamaha generator. The The Honda folks suggest I purchase the eu2000i, and the eu2000i companion and run them parallel. I would prefer using, and buying just one.   

Sean & Jerri
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Pawpod

Any one have luck running the AC with other generators other than the Hyundai HY2000i, with out going to a 3000 Benny?

My Yamaha 2400iSHC can handle it, but you need to be running the fan first before you turn it to 'cool' and allow the compressor to start. When the compressor cycles off and then back on, there is a brief 'pause' in the fan. I'm guessing that if I installed a hard-start capacitor (next spring!) that will completely take care of it.

I too considered going with the dual 2kw Hondas or Yamahas, but you're easily looking at $2,100 with the parallel cables. I got my 2400 from Amazon for $1,389, and it does the job.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by WillThrill

My Yamaha 2400iSHC can handle it, but you need to be running the fan first before you turn it to 'cool' and allow the compressor to start. When the compressor cycles off and then back on, there is a brief 'pause' in the fan. I'm guessing that if I installed a hard-start capacitor (next spring!) that will completely take care of it.

It won't.  I have the 2400iSHC and a Supco hard start cap. 
What I do plan to install when I get time, already bought the parts, is a solid state timer relay that cuts off the fan when the A/C is commanded to start, then 10 seconds or so later brings the circulation fan back online.  That will shed 200 or so watts from the generator to ease compressor starting.
I also unplug the microwave when running on generator for A/C- otherwise it beeps every time the A/C starts as it sags voltage enough to make it "think" it has completely lost power then beeps when the compressor has lost its start up load and voltage is back to normal..
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 8:00am
I never had a problem with mine, and no hard-start capacitor.  I would get a slight dip in the fan's rpm when the compressor started, that was it.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 1:11pm
Honestly I could tell no difference in the hard start cap vs without.   Wish I had a current reading chart recorder to see what the difference really is....
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 1:54pm
And then there are pods like ours.. Mine has a hard start and will start on a Honda 2000 if we have the fan already running on low. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>