Topic ClosedFlip the floorplans - 151, 171, 172, 177

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flip the floorplans - 151, 171, 172, 177
    Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 6:08pm

This was talked about on another thread regarding the 171, I'm documenting it here because the more I've thought about it the more I like it.  I also think it applies to more than just the 171, but the specifics below are for the 171.  The reason applies to all the models listed.

On the 171, flip the bed to the front, and the dinette to the back.  Flip the fridge and countertop, BUT leave the shower and door in the same positions.  The reason?  Its really hard to get into and out of the bed when someone is laying in the forward spot.  By putting the bed up front the doorway area gives a wide-open spot to wiggle into and out of bed at the foot of the bed (assuming everyone's feet are on the door side).  Also, the curvature on the front of the 'pod would make it feel less restrictive to the person in the back spot.  I get the back spot in bed and whack my hand on the ceiling too much because it is so angled at the back of the 'pod with the current configuration.  Since the queen bed is wider than the dinette the door, shower, countertop and fridge would all have to shift rearward a few inches.

Another benefit - everyone sitting in the dinette in the new layout gets to stare out the wide rear window.  The current layout means the rear window stays covered up all the time for privacy and darkness.  Yet another benefit, the edge of the queen bed could be used as 2 seats, like when you are pulling your shoes off or when everyone around the campfire has to dive inside because of a rain shower.  

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
sylviablue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 8:15pm
We have the 171 and I know what you mean about the bed.  Fortunately, I don't get the back position.  Tongue
But, I like the big window by the bed.  I open the curtain after the lights go out and wake up to (usually) a beautiful view.  Not a late sleeper and don't require darkness.
four peas
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 2:25pm
That layout with the bed in the front and table in the back was going to be be what the MPG by Heartland's Original Model was going to look like.  I liked it so much that I had put up our 171 for sale to buy the MPG.  MPG ended up getting sued by Forest River that they pulled the model before they made them.  Would make so much more room in my mind.  Even if you look at a smaller trailer that did not take off well in the states the I-Camp(made by a company in China) the Table bed was wide opened and did not feel boxed in.  BUT I still like the 171 we have!
sylviablue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 8:40pm
Love my 171.  It feels like home away from home now.  Heart
four peas
Pie_Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 8:11am
When we were in Kentucky, we got to see the 173T. It's great!  We had 5 people sitting comfortable in the "T".  While we were talking, someone said, there would be even more room if they fliped the Kitchen and bathroom, and then added a slide (Kitchen would slipe out)...With the bed that pops out, the sofa, the U-shapped dinette...and the added slide, it would be the perfect Pod!...(of course, that was what we thought when we saw the 173T.
~Cindy_CP
(Pod_Patrol's girl)
 Post Reply Post Reply