R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Pod Problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod Problems
    Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 8:17pm
My Family purchased a new R-Pod 172 from Horn's RV in Sheboygan Wisconsin.  The R-Pod has had many problems including the heater, inverter, cabinet door latches, latch for fridge, poor quality of the center hub cover on the wheels (can not remove the end cap to access the grease fitting withouth the ruining the cover), and propane support (cracked).  All the issues caused problems when camping but have been corrected for the most part.

The bigger concern that has been a problem since last year and will require a third trip to the dealer - The whole floor inflates like a giant balloon during travel.  After pressurizing the camper approx 4 air leaks were identified and sealed.  The problem still continues and makes the floor unable to be walked on with out doing damage  (if air is getting under the floor, so is water - unsure what damage has been done).  On top of that, water continues to pool on the floor behind the heater and fridge.  You can tell its been a problem for a while as the saw dust is "clumped" together.  In addition, our camping equipment / tools in the back pass through compartment are getting wet (doors are locked).    All service advisories have also been followed to no avail.  The camper is stored indoors and is well taken care of.

My family is not happy about the poor quality of this camper

Additional post will follow detailing what type of job Forest River does to correct problems that should never have happened in the first place.  Customer service has been marginal at best up to this point.  I would recommend everyone goes through their R-Pod carefully........

TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 4:37am
WOW!  You got a lemon for sure.  I haven't had any of those problems.  Good luck!

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 6:23pm

Welcome, Mark.  Very sorry to hear about all the problems you have experienced.  I haven't heard of anyone with that many problems.  Personally we had almost nothing wrong at the beginning.  We have had a half-dozen problems recently fixed under warranty (see another thread around here describing our recent trip to the dealer), but none prevented normal use of the camper.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
sylviablue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 8:12pm
Yep, sounds like you got a lemon.  Hope they get this straightened out for and I'm sorry for you bad experience.  Ours has been almost perfect to date with only water in the tail lights which were replaced.
four peas
joe & vickie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 8:59pm
         With all that you have  wrong with your R-POD, you would think that Forest River would give you a new one as a replacement?
R-POD 177- Gitty up go
FORD-F 150
mark View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 12:01pm
Thanks for the feedback.  We have requested (along with Horn's RV) a new camper due to the problems.   FR has stated they want the camper back to Horn's RV for the 3rd time for "evaluation".  Horn's RV has offered to pick up our camper and provide a new loaner during the time our camper is "evaluated" (unsure what this means / timeframe etc..) so we do not have to cancel camping plans (FR did not make this offer).  

Horn's RV has been good to work with during this process. 

Updates to follow.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 12:39pm
Thanks for the update.  Feel free to post a review of your dealer in our Dealer Review section, and let us know what happens next.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
yizit View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 9:53pm
Wow!!!  That is unusual.  Sorry you are having so many problems.  We bought ours from Horn's and they were great to work with.  I hope you get things worked out.  Since you bought in WI, are you from WI? If so, where?

Former owner of 2009 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek C190Popular

tma-333 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 5:45pm
I just purchased a 177 in August. First big rain, three leak points, both windows on the tip-out side, as well as the tip-out.

Love the unit, hate to get such a serious problem so early after purchasing.  Evidently, warranty work but I hoping it is also minor and isolated.

Anyone else similar leaks or leaks of any kind
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 6:00pm
When we first purchased our 171 the brakes were a major problem had it in and out of the shop half a dozen times.  Finally we found a dealer that knew what they were doing and they replaced the axle brakes everything . haven't had a problem since.  Hope all turns out well for you good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>