Topic ClosedLoading and Thumb Twiddling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mountain mist View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loading and Thumb Twiddling
    Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 4:26pm
Was telling the son about it and he wondered if maybe if the hinges and hole was not put in because folks were overloading the PodLOL when it was easier to just pull it up and pack (if pulling the mattress up and lifting the particle board up, AND having any strength left to pack it!

Have finally put over a 1000 miles on the tow car, now I need to learn how to pull a trailer and back. I am game.
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2010 at 2:57pm
A cheaters "tool" I use to pull the items from the back Tub is a short piece of Broom handle with a screwed in hook to grab it. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2010 at 2:11pm
It would be a shame if they eliminated that from the new 'pods, its nearly impossible to get to the back corner without it, or without climing all the way in.  Its possible they have been making changes that cut costs, and not cutting the hole or adding hinges is one way.  You can make this a podmod and do it yourself.  If you do take pictures and add it to the podmod section.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 6:30pm
I have a '10 171 and it does not have the fingerhole OR the hinges. Makes you wonder where the hole driller and hinger putter onner was that day. I have, however used the access in the little door under the bed and just like suggested , put one covered box and 2 laundry baskets under the bed, plus room for the dog's food and her carry on brush, treat, etc. case. Just getting up and down out of that hole is a bit of trouble, but can manage.
Will have mileage on the tow by Monday, then the learning process starts.
Confused
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
Okiepoders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 5:15pm
Terri
If you figure out an easy way to take the mattress up to make an access the hot water bypass let me know.
We de winterized ours last weekend and the storage access was a pretty tight squeeze for hubby...
we thought about the mattress but changed our minds pretty quickly after trying to lift it
Pam & Dan
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 1:16pm
Dang, now that you've said that you have me thinking.  Biggest problem is the area is only "twin" sized (in quotes because it ain't a twin, and the back bed ain't a queen) so it would take some major modification to put the queen there.
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 9:49am
I really like the layout the original MPG camper had when it first was coming out.  They had basically taken a R-Pod 171 and flipped it around.  Put the Queen Bed up in the front and the table in the back.  Made the camper really opened up with out slides.  The bed was opened up so you did not have the little crawl space to get through.  But they had to change the design.  Hmm makes me wonder if I could mod the 171 to flip those two items around. 
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 9:46am
We also have a Early 2009 -R-Pod 171. I was told that the mattress is installed after they are made.  They bend them in half and slide them in.  My mattress only lasted one weekend till it was pulled out and replaced with a futon.  The metal frame was bending right at the opening that you crawl through to get into bed.  Much easier now to make the bed, flip it over or pull it off to get to the area under.  On my Camper on the Drivers side right next to the Fridge is the compartment that has the Hot Water Heater and that has been framed out and a cover placed on with 4 screws, then the area you can get to through the door also has a board on top with a finger hole and 2 hinges to lift it up.  And then at the very back of the bed in the cover of the outside storage that is screwed down.  We found laundry basket that slide nicely under the bed and store our clean clothes in one and dirty in the other.  Also have Tub under there.  Take a look at pictures here

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=956&KW=171+bed&PID=10570&title=171-mod-bed-storage#10570  
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 8:58am
Interesting that your left panel is screwed down!  Mine isn't and has a finger hole so you can lift the front edge.  I think it even has a hinge at the back.

I bet you are right and they add the mattress during construction.  Some day we need to set up a gathering at the factory and see them being made.

My only complaint is the difficulty in getting in/out of bed.  I now have collapsible steps that I put at the edge of the bed at night.  My wife takes the outer spot and if I need to get out in the middle of the night I have to stand up and step over her on to the top step.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 5:05pm

Only thing I can see is cutting the mattress up and taking it outYing YangDo you think they put the mattress in before they finished putting the sides on the Pod? I have the 171. Even if you got someone to stand on the bed and managed to angle it to the "hallway", how do you bend it to get out the door. Yelpy, chain saw to the suckerStarI have not had time or taken time to test it. Waiting for a memory foam pad and that will have to do. If I can sleep on the ground without an air mattress, I will be able to sleep on this. But will need a disembarkcation schedual to get 2 people through that narrow hole out of the bed. No drinking after a certain hour either. Dead

'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>