FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJust bought a used Rpod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just bought a used Rpod
    Posted: 16 May 2019 at 9:52pm
Hi all,
We recently picked up a 2016 R-pod 177 from a dealer.  The trailer is in pretty good shape, but several things needed attention - it is pretty obvious they are not assembled like aircraft...LOL.
One thing stood out though, after towing the trailer for about 15 miles to get home, one wheel stunk of burned brake lining. I later pulled the drums to check everything out and pack the wheel bearings to find that the left side brake was adjusted way too tightly - I couldn't pull the drum until I had backed the adjuster off quite a bit.  It had gotten so hot it completely liquified the wheel bearing grease, which got past the seal and made a mess. So..I cleaned everything up, adjusted the brakes, and went for a ride, but no brakes! As it turns out, both sides had wire failures at the connector to the line that comes directly from the brake coil.  It seems that the factory assembly allows some of the weight of the wiring harness (not much, but significant, IMO) to be borne by the brake coil wire which eventually stress hardens and fails.  If they had supported the harness on the top of the axle/spindle area that would not have occurred.  I suspect someone didn't know the brakes had failed and unknowingly tried to compensate with over-tightening the adjuster.  I don't know if all the r-pod models are assembled this way,  so I bring this up as some may want to check that wiring and possibly re-locate and ziptie the harness so it will be supported upon the upper side of the axle-spindle area - to help avoid that kind of failure in the future.  
The dealer didn't check anything out regarding the brakes, the propane plumbing, and didn't even drain the black and gray tanks.  Sheesh

I'm amazed at the popularity of this trailer (which I previously had never heard of), and the amount of participation this forum has.  I look forward to learning from you folks.
Tom
2019 Ram 1500, 2016 Rpod 177
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:06pm
Interesting post, I’ll take a look at mine. Thanks for the suggestion.

One comment, those insulation displacement connectors are not best practice. It is recommended to use butt splices and exterior adhesive lined heat shrink tubing instead.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 6:44am
This is great information, I'll definitely be looking at mine this weekend.  I know that wires hang down below the axle, but adding some protection is a good idea.  Thanks.
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 8:11am
Congratulations on your new acquisition.  Sorry you had problems right out the gate, but it sounds like you have it well under control.  As for the dealer, selling any kind of a vehicle that is supposed to travel on public roads and highways with out having made sure the brakes were working properly, or at least warning you that they didn't work, is what we call in the legal business willful and wanton disregard for the safety of others, practically a criminal act.  Thankfully, there was no accident and no one got hurt.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 8:39am
One of the first things I did was tidy up all the wiring on my brand new pod.

Including the brake wiring.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:12am
The previous owner may not have tightened the brakes too much. They are self-adjusting. I had the same thing happen with one side of our 179 where the (door side) wheel's brakes got very tight but the slide side's brakes did not. Likewise, I had a seal failure also on that side. The brakes were replaced and new bearings and seals installed at the same time as I had the axle replaced. 

I fully agree that the dealer was negligent by not checking the brakes before he sold the RPod to you.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
zookagumby View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:47am

I had considered the possibility that the auto-adjust brake was the culprit also.  Your experience tells me that is a more likely cause.  The next time I work on the wheels, I will disable the auto-adjust feature, as the potential damage from that feature is much more a concern than the occasional minor manual adjustment hassle.
Tom
2019 Ram 1500, 2016 Rpod 177
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:47am
At least some dealers have a crude way of testing and adjusting the electric brakes, and with the 'self-adjusters', one brake can end up tighter than the other.

A good way to check electric trailer brakes is with a variable voltage power supply, but many dealers don't even seem to be aware of this.

Plus, if the seals leak, then the brake shoes can get contaminated, making one side 'grabby' or worse.

I like the irony with the Dexter 'Nev-R-Adjust' brakes...which, when translated, means, 'hard to keep them balanced'...(never adjusted)....

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 11:18am
The trick I use to see if my trailer brakes are reasonably balanced is to make a few stops from say around 30 mph using trailer brakes only (by sliding the manual lever on the controller) then stopping and measuring drum temperatures with an IR thermometer. The temps won't be identical but they should be reasonably close.

If one is much cooler than the other then something is wrong. I found the curb side brake to be much cooler. That side has longer wire lengths and more connectors so it takes less current. Once I rewired they were a lot closer to the same temperature. 

To check if one is dragging disconnect the trailer connector and drive a few miles, then stop and use the IR thermometer. They should both be within a few degrees of ambient temperature. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 11:39am
I don't need no stinkin' IR thermometer.....I just reach around and quickly touch the drums with the back of my knuckles. I can tell really fast if one is hotter than the other!

I will also grab the hubs, kick the tires, place my palm on the tread, and feel and smell for anything hot. I do this after nearly every highway run, when getting gas, taking a pee-break, whatever.

Of course, I've got a few million miles driving trucks. Comes with the territory. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>