Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJust bought a used Rpod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just bought a used Rpod
    Posted: 17 May 2019 at 11:49am
LOL...yep, that's how I knew the brakes weren't working!  After a long downhill, I just felt how hot the drums were...and they weren't.   I'm in the process right now of disabling the self-adjusters; using a dremel to change the angle of the adjusting-star actuating plate edge so it can no longer engage. 

Tom
2019 Ram 1500, 2016 Rpod 177
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 12:15pm
Thanks but I'll stick with my IR thermometer. One of my favorite tools. Don't have to get down on my knees and reach around, and no burned fingers. Useful for lots of other things as well, like checking fridge and a/c evaporator temps. 

BTW, you don't need a separate variable voltage power supply. An electronic brake controller already is a pulse width modulated power supply. It's voltage setting is the reading when you slide the manual lever to full. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by offgrid

Thanks but I'll stick with my IR thermometer. One of my favorite tools. Don't have to get down on my knees and reach around, and no burned fingers. Useful for lots of other things as well, like checking fridge and a/c evaporator temps. 

BTW, you don't need a separate variable voltage power supply. An electronic brake controller already is a pulse width modulated power supply. It's voltage setting is the reading when you slide the manual lever to full. 

No burned fingers here either....I'm good at this..and yeah, I also know how the brake controllers work.

And I own two IR guns me-own-self...Tongue

But...a variable voltage power supply is easier and works with no vehicle (or assistant) needed. You can dial up the exact voltage (usually 2-4 volts) that slightly engages the brake magnets, with just a small amount of rotational drag when both wheels are jacked up off the ground. Adjust the starwheels for a balance between both sides. 

A simple lab supply with 0-15v and about 3 amps is sufficient for testing, as well as checking or servicing the lights on the trailer when its not hooked up to a vehicle.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 12:45pm
Are your fingers calibrated in Fahrenheit or Celsius?

I don’t need a helper or a power supply either, just adjust the controller to the voltage you want and tape the lever full on. Ain’t nothing you cain’t fix with duct tape.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:57pm
Right knuckles: Fahrenheit. Left knuckles: Celsius. 

I do the F to C or C to F conversion in my head while I'm walking around to the other side and using the opposite hand. The smell of burning flesh means that there was a mountain behind me.

Hey, you asked! Tongue

Duct tape is fine, but my lab supply is calibrated to 1/100th of a volt. I be in the know, don't cha know.

Geek

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by podwerkz

I don't need no stinkin' IR thermometer.....I just reach around and quickly touch the drums with the back of my knuckles. I can tell really fast if one is hotter than the other!

I will also grab the hubs, kick the tires, place my palm on the tread, and feel and smell for anything hot. I do this after nearly every highway run, when getting gas, taking a pee-break, whatever.

Of course, I've got a few million miles driving trucks. Comes with the territory.
I know people who claimed they had calibrated elbows and did not need a torque wrench. Star

... but seriously, you would be amazed at how accurate you can get with things like this with a bit (or a lot) of experience. That said, using a tool (like an IR thermometer or torque wrench) is still a good idea for the rest of us who are not "calibrated" appropriately. 
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 3:01pm
After awhile a truck driver can learn by the sound of the tire buddy (or the flat palm) thumping the dual tires, about what they are inflated to. Now, you can't tell 90 psi from 100 psi just by thumping, but you can tell if all the rest are around 100 psi and one is low, say, 75 psi, just by the sound of the thumps. 

And a really low tire will make a dull thud.

Boy did we wander off-topic....probably my fault...again...
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 5:58pm
I have a calibrated tongue, as in when I put my tongue on  battery terminals I can tell about what voltage it is (but not to 10mV like your power supply). And I've never tested my 200V Prius battery that way Tongue

Not that far off topic really yet, but we we're still working it....
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 6:14pm
I have a pressure gauge, a torque wrench, an IR Gun, also EEZ tire system on Pod, and when I first got Pod I cleaned up the wiring and secured it on the bottom of Pod. Four years - no issues, knock on wood.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 6:19pm
I use the Zen of measurement and just go by what feels right.  Confused  And my brakes still work and the axle ain't bent yet.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>