R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy version of axle support

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: My version of axle support
    Posted: 03 May 2019 at 3:10pm
Axles are rated based on the mounts being in the right spot, unlike our RPODs. A 5200lb axle mounted on the stock RPOD mounts will not be rated anywhere near 5200lbs. and may bend just like the 3500lb axles are. The only right way to fix the problem is to move the axle mounts outboard. If you move your mounts outboard to where the axle should be, your stock 3500lb axle will not be a problem. Shame on FR for not doing the right thing 10 years ago and still doing it today.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

Isn't the axle rated at 4400 or 4500 (or thereabouts) if the mount points are further out closer to the wheels? My read on that is that if you can support the axle further out, you gain the advantage of the higher rating without having to compromise the ride quality.

Good question.

Lippert has 3500 lb and 5200 lb torsion axle ranges. When I called them to see if I could buy a higher rated axle and read him the model number (which includes the frame attachment spacing) the first sales tech I talked to said they could sell me a 4400 lb rated axle but it was "identical in all respects" to the 3500 lb one I already had, other than the label. He said he checked the configuration with his engineering staff to be sure. 

But when I called back later to confirm I got a different sales tech who said they were told not to tell people that and said I would need to buy a 5200 lb axle if I wanted a higher rating. 

If the 4400 lb axle was truly "identical" it would have the same inboard mounting points. So I'm left wondering what the first guy I talked to and his engineering group were thinking. The only thing I can think of is that they have a customer who buys that same axle and has them put a 4400 lb label on it. We know that Lippert provides the same 3500 lb axle to FR which they derate to 3000 lbs for the smaller rPods, so maybe they do the opposite as well on some other trailer? 

Here's how I look at it.  if my axle fails in spite of the axle tube reinforcement it will presumably be some other component besides the axle tube that fails, like the torsion arm, rubber cords, or the spindle, all of which are most likely the same on any axle in the 3500 lb product range.  So if any of those fail it wouldn't make sense for me to get another 3500 lb axle anyway. 

If I ever do have to get another axle I think I'll try a Dexter one, they seem to be perceived in the industry as having a better quality product. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 5:36pm
Interesting comment, way back in these posts I said I had a Dexter axle, etrailer told me the Dexter axles did not exhibit the bending issue. I posted same. I still have a Dexter axle without mods that has never had an issue. I can't find one report of a bent Dexter, if you know different please say so. Till then, appears folks are modding crappy axles and when basic fix is obvious.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 8:31pm
Before I bought my RPOD I looked into the axle problem and found the RPOD with Dexter and Lippert axles had the same problem, or I would have just bought an Dexter axle and been done. I also found most people don't know their axle has lost it's camber, if your trailer wheels are not straight up or real close to it your axle has lost it's camber. If you were to call Dexter or Lippert axles and told them you were building a trailer and give them the RPOD spec, my are 89.5 hub to hub and 59.25 mount to mount that equals 15 inches overhang each side. They will tell you, you have way to much overhang and your axle will lose capacity rating. So far my supports are working great, zero change in 500 miles. If my loses camber, I will change it to leaf spring and air bag like the last trailer I built. Here's a picture of the last one I did, before brakes. I built this axle over-kill to handle the over size tires and overhang, I think my overhang is only 6 or 7 inches.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 6:53am
Originally posted by mcarter

Interesting comment, way back in these posts I said I had a Dexter axle, etrailer told me the Dexter axles did not exhibit the bending issue. I posted same. I still have a Dexter axle without mods that has never had an issue. I can't find one report of a bent Dexter, if you know different please say so. Till then, appears folks are modding crappy axles and when basic fix is obvious.

Its going to depend a lot on how you load your trailer and where you travel with it. IIRC mcarter, you don't boondock much so you probably roll out relatively light on your axle and probably don't hit a lot of unsurfaced roads? WDH tension adds load as well.  Do you know what your loaded axle weight is? Mine really is right around 3500 with my WDH tensioned, no doubt over 1750 on the slide side and under on the curb side. 

As has been pointed out a few times, most folks never have a problem with their axles getting bent. 
That being said, I would switch to a Dexter if I replaced my axle both because they do seem to have a better reputation in some circles but also just because I didn't get a straight answer from Lippert. That kind of thing turns me off just on principle. 

But for about $100 I figured I'd start with the cheapo reinforcement option and see if that takes care of the problem. I'd have well over $1000 into a new 5200 lb axle, brakes, and wheels. And if it ain't broke don't fix it, its not like its going to leave me stranded somewhere. The failure is that it just picks up some negative camber. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2019 at 6:13pm
All good points. I am not a boondocker as I don't believe the Pod is best suited for that. I have more concentrated on my tongue weight and do not know my loaded axle weight. I agree the folks I have consulted have a favor to Dexter over Lippert and by know means disagree with Toyanvil, but I'm not getting same info. The folks I have consulted, and to be honest without camber issues, have all recommended Dexter over Lippert. I am not a WDH user. End of the day I'm pretty easy on my Pod, improved camping areas, etc.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 6:14am
Originally posted by mcarter

All good points. I am not a boondocker as I don't believe the Pod is best suited for that. I have more concentrated on my tongue weight and do not know my loaded axle weight. I agree the folks I have consulted have a favor to Dexter over Lippert and by know means disagree with Toyanvil, but I'm not getting same info. The folks I have consulted, and to be honest without camber issues, have all recommended Dexter over Lippert. I am not a WDH user. End of the day I'm pretty easy on my Pod, improved camping areas, etc.

I agree. I don't think you'll have any issues the way you're using your pod, unless you get really unlucky and drop into a giant pothole or something. In my case, I ran around (carefully!) all last summer on unsurfaced roads with a WDH on a heavy trailer and didn't bend my Lippert axle, but I don't figure my luck would have held out too much longer doing that.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234