R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy version of axle support

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: My version of axle support
    Posted: 02 May 2019 at 7:37am
Offgrid, Interesting response. For what it is worth, after posting this link on another forum I received a PM from a member. Their 6 year axle had failed on one side. After making a couple of phone calls to Lippert and follow up call from their shop Lippert is replacing their axle to include all labor and freight charges. 
Michael
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 2:24pm
Great to hear Lippert is taking responsibility in at least one case. Do you have any particulars on what actually failed and the conditions? 

If the other trailer was an rPod then Lippert made both the axle and the trailer frame, so if the failure was a bent axle tube it would be difficult for Lippert to say they weren't accountable for effects of the inboard frame rails on their axle. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Awchief View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 4:05pm
Hopefully she will post follow up information and photos. i am guessing it might take several weeks. If I find out more I will pass it on. 
Michael
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 4:20pm
Now THAT'S what I call, 'axle support'!

Big smile
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 5:54am
Guys, while I am not an engineer, I am an attorney. I would like to point out that any modification to the axle will most likely void any warranty. With that being said, I do understand the reasoning.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 7:15am
+1. 

Assume no warranty if you modify the axle in any way. Lippert's warranty specifically excludes that.  OTOH, none of the reinforcement fixes we've worked on here actually modify the axle itself, and they are all easily removable. If mine fails even after reinforcement I'll upgrade to a 5200 lb one which wouldn't be covered anyway. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 8:23am
If you install a 5200lb torsion axle you will only change your problems, you will be shaking your trailer apart. I have seen trailers with over sized axles shake the AC to the pint it is bending the roof down. If I change my axle, I be installing 3500lb leaf springs with 5200lb axle.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 9:50am
I don't think ride would be a problem in my case. My 179 is heavy, it sits right at the current 3500 axle load limit. So, I would still be at a comfortable 67% of maximum axle load rating on the 5200lb axle.  IMHO, heavy rPods really should have had a 5200 lb axle in the first place. Also, torsion axles have a better ride than spring axles do. Many people have done this same upgrade. 

But, if the axle failures are indeed in the tube itself and not the rubber cords, spindle, or torque arm, the reinforcement will take care of the problem and give me about a 50% increase in capacity (which is also about 5200 lbs). 

If you put a spring axle system under there how do you maintain the ride height and still have clearance for the springs and axle travel? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 9:51am
A warranty is only good if the manufacturer can't weasel out of it by claiming that the owner abused the axle by overloading it or hitting curbs or other reasons. My axle replacement wasn't covered because Lippert said that it was out of warranty. Axles should not fail. Part of the problem is FR's decision to have the mounts so far from the wheels. To me, that is a design flaw that cost me a lot of money I should not have had to spend to replace an axle that should not have lost its camber. Unhappy
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 2:23pm
Isn't the axle rated at 4400 or 4500 (or thereabouts) if the mount points are further out closer to the wheels? My read on that is that if you can support the axle further out, you gain the advantage of the higher rating without having to compromise the ride quality.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>