FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New owner
    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 5:13pm
Hello R-Pod owners,

We just picked up our 2015 R-Pod 177 Monday. We drove from Harrisburg PA to Pittsburgh PA, Spent an hour or so transferring ownership, then, hauled it back to Harrisburg. What a long day. almost 500 mile round trip. We are very happy with it so far. I am not familiar with the systems yet. It is still winterized. The 2 year old battery would not charge past 4.7 volts using my 2 amp charger. The charger says "Check the battery". We are probably going to buy the cheap Autozone 12 volt marine battery for now. Their website specs show Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 800, Cranking Amps (CA): 1000, Reserve Capacity (min): 180 min at 25 Amps. Does anyone happen to know how long the furnace can run and how much gas it would use? I was hoping to stay out at least a night or two. Any advice on how to stay off grid for three nights? If you are only supposed to let the battery power drop no more than 50%, how will I know when to cut the battery off? I am new to this and we are starting to learn. Any advice on anything R-pod or camping is welcome.
Paul
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 5:29pm
Hi Paul, congrats on the new camper.  I'm new here myself (bought a 2016 172 a little over a month ago).  I've been wondering some of the same things about the batteries so I'll be watching for the answers you get. Happy camping!
Julie
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 5:32pm
Welcome, you're about to get lots of info here.

My own take -  With no electricity, treat your r-pod this time of year as a big tent, the weather looks like it is moderating out east for the next 10 days or so. Blankets or sleeping bags for the nite, the heater is great but you won't really need it. Head lamps work really good to minimize battery use, even for reading at nite. With a full battery, I have no trouble with 3 nights, but I am very careful with electricity use and don't ever use the tv. Also, "Deep cycle" batteries are much more forgiving in recovering from low charges than car batteries.

If you have 'shore power" (an electric hook up) things really get easy but it sounds like you are boondocking. I am sure you'll enjoy your trip.

podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 5:35pm
A marine starting battery wont last very long, you would be way better off to buy a true deep cycle marine/RV battery.   

Next in order of preference will be a combination starting/deep cycle, which are much more common at auto parts stores and big box stores. It might have a CCA rating or MCA rating but it SHOULD have an amp hour (ah) rating.

It's this ah rating that tells you it's rated for deep cycle use. Typical ah numbers for a 'group 24' battery wil be in the 80 to 100 ah range. 

Expect to pay around $80-$120 or so for a decent group 24 deep cycle battery.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 6:04pm
^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^

Separate from that, pack some good jumper cables and you can boost your battery from your tow vehicle with an hour of idling.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
noatakme View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 6:06pm
Thanks podwerkz, That is a great help. I see the difference now. The deep cycle is 10 bucks cheaper too $
Paul
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 6:40pm
Order a book from Amazon called "12 volt Bible for Boats".  An rPod is a boat with wheels.  Read it all and you will answer lots of questions you don't know that you don't know.
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 7:05pm
Congrats on the new trailer! Keep asking questions. A 20# propane tank will last me quite a while even when using the heater. At night when it is cold (35-40) I have lots of covers and have the heater kick on at 55 or so. Stay plenty warm and don't burn through too much propane. Again congrats, it's a fun learning experience. ~PP
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 8:22pm
Congratulations Paul on your 177.  As a 177 owner for 8 + years I expect to get 3 - 4 days per battery when we boondock and when night temps dip into the upper 30's to mid' 40's.  Weather factors like wind and how much we use the furnace during the day will determine if we go 3 or 4 days per battery.  I use the idiot light on the wall to let me know when my battery is at 1/3 or 33% S.O.C., the other way I can tell is when the furnace starts, if it sounds like the motor is running just a tad slower I switch over to the other battery; we carry two as we boondock a lot and don't use solar to refresh the batteries.  What we have are a pair of Interstate group size 24, deep cycle.  We got these when we picked up our 177 back in March 2011, so as you can see, if you maintain the battery, it will last quite a while.  It is a good idea to keep an eye on the electrolyte levels on a regular basis so that there is always water covering the plates.   Also, for the same reason given above, we also carry 2 propane tanks as well.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 9:29pm
I would look for a battery store in your town and look into 6 volt batteries, they will last a lot longer then 12 volt. You will need two for each 12 volt you replace.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>