R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed50 or 30 amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 50 or 30 amp
    Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 5:33pm
lostagain, you're doing fine. Have you considered a new career in electrical power system engineering?

I think that is electrically the same thing I was suggesting except that instead of the velcro attachment of  the breaker box to the pedestal, attach it to the pod and run a longer 50A cable. That would address StephenH's issue with lugging around a bulky box, and any potential concerns a park operator might have with velcroing something to his pedestal. Electrically they are identical solutions so either would work, your preference. 

Just one other thing, I wouldn't modify the male plug connector which would compromise its UL listing. Instead, just terminate one of the hots inside the breaker box using a closed end crimp connector which is intended for that purpose. That way everything is fully listed and code compliant. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:21pm
It's the math.  Ever since 2d grade I've panicked when I had to do math.  I'm a bit dyslexic and the numbers get jumbled up when I see them.  I shouldn't be allowed to use a telephone. I would have dearly loved to be an civil engineer building bridges to nowhere and tunnels under obstructions.  But, alas, I had to enhance my naturally argumentative nature instead.  

Your idea makes more sense.  It would be easy to mount the box in the pod and get the long 50A cord.  Why even a lawyer, properly supervised, might be able to install it.  And it would alleviate the moisture issue almost entirely.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 6:25am
Well lostagain, no math involved here really so not to worry.

The drawback with my suggestion is cost and weight, long 50A RV cords are not cheap or light. Your suggestion uses only a short inexpensive input cord. 

Best would still probably be a NEMA 4X or IP55/IP65 style enclosure with a breaker in it, your 50A pigtail and male plug, and another short 30A  pigtail with 30A female out. Basically you're creating a dog bone with a breaker in it, with the breaker in a nice solid enclosure that you wouldn't have to worry too much about getting rain in or mechanically damaging. 

There are some reasonably priced ones on Amazon. Like these. You'd need to pick one that fit the breaker you've selected and have enough room for terminating and routing the conductors. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ogrmar-Plastic-Dustproof-Junction-Enclosure/dp/B07871XT6F/ref=sr_1_2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1549455539&sr=1-2&keywords=ip65%2Benclosure&th=1
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 6:34am
As I laid awake in bed last night with the noise of an urban environment keeping John of Dreams well away, I thought why not just put a 50A RV plug next to the existing 30A, set up a little transfer switch in which you connect the existing 30A and the 50A conductors such that you can choose between the two amperages (kinda like the marine battery switch on a boat).  Wire from the transfer switch to the main electric panel with 6awg wire to connect to the 30A main breaker.  Then you'd never have an undersized conductor all the way to the 30A distribution point.  No additional breakers needed.  Just carry two cables.   Once again, I have proven beyond a "reasonable" doubt that I should not quit my day job.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 7:01am
There are 30 to 50A adapter dogbones so you could convert your trailer permanently to 50A and just use one of those at home or at pedestals without 50A service. Perfectly safe. Its pretty common for folks to update an older RV to 50A when they modernize them. You have to if you put dual a/c's on it and want to run them both at the same time.  Gotta do a bit of surgery and wire routing though. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 7:27am
That may be the simplest solution yet.  One plug, a little rewiring between a 50A exterior plug and the breaker box, a new cord, and the dogbone to be able to connect to 30A power sources.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314