R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed50 or 30 amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 50 or 30 amp
    Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 9:21am
Offgrid, I appreciate the information you provided in this thread. While I will still use a dog bone if I encounter a situation where the only choice is a 50A connection, I will do so knowing that there is some risk and to make sure my RPod's wiring is in good shape so that that risk can be minimized.

If I can find an adapter with a 30A circuit breaker, I would prefer to get that. However, a reasonably priced adapter so equipped is not available AFAIK. If someone finds one at a reasonable price for something that would likely be used very infrequently, I would buy one. I can purchase a 50A to 30A adapter for $12.95 (Amazon Prime). It would be worth spending more on one if  it had a 30A breaker, but not that much more. In the three years we have had our RPod, I have only had to use an adapter once. It would not make sense to spend over a hundred dollars on something that may only be used once every few years.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 12:35pm

What serves readers of the board is informed fact-based information that can affect rPod owners.  Opinions based on incomplete knowledge, ill founded beliefs, and, on occasion, personal prejudice that one’s preferences are the best while others are just plain wrong, don't serve the readership.

Mike, who anointed you to be the arbiter of whose posts are written with the intention share helpful information and who is on an ego trip?  Where did you acquire the clairvoyant powers to enter the mind of other contributors and divine their innermost intentions?  Why is it that when you disagree with what others say, instead of challenging the facts, you react with dismissiveness and hostility?  No one obliged to read any thread or post.  If you don’t want to participate in the conversation, just skip the thread and let others be the judge of what they want to read or write about.  If no one is interested, the thread will die a natural death.

Do you disagree with what I said about the law of civil liability as it applies to responsibility for taking known risks?  Please, sir, correct me.  I am open to hearing other views and welcome your alternative facts.  I would love to be proven wrong.

Do you think the engineers who commented in this thread were wrong?  If so, show us your calculations and your science-based analysis.  Show us where their assessment that high enough impedance could occur using a 50/30A dogbone to start a fire is erroneous.  Show us facts that refute Forest River’s decision to warn against the use of such an unprotected dogbone.  If I recall correctly, in an earlier post you conceded the correctness of the engineers’ analysis.  Indeed, if we had to pay for all the free engineering advice they have graciously shared, whether on electrical issues, brakes, axle loading, trailer balance, etc. we would be broke.  We owe these guys a debt of gratitude, not accusations that they are doing this to show off.

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 4:44pm
StephenH, thank you. I have no issues whatever with your conclusion and I was not at all referring to any of your posts in my earlier one. 

I don't know of a low cost solution for an inline breaker either. If I ever come across one I'll let you know, but I doubt it can be done at that kind of price point. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:14am
I have been looking for possibilities. I am waiting on an answer from West Marine's technical support on this. I am looking at two models of breakers that might be a cost-effective way to build in to an adapter.
What do you think of these? Do you think a cost-effective dog-bone adapter could be fabricated using one of these? The hardest part would be to fabricate a small box that could go inline into which one could be installed. The Medium-Duty Push-Button Reset-Only breaker would likely be the easier of the two to work with although it is more expensive.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:46am
StephenH, it looks like either of those would work for the application. I saw an inline fuse and fuse holder that would work as well, about the same $$, but the breakers would be more convenient. The challenge is going to be the enclosure as you say. You’d probably want a NEMA 4X rating on that, and a clear cover would be handy.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:21am
What about something like this with the push-button breaker?

The idea would be to make it something like this:
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:22am
Would something like this work, using a 50A rated pigtail to connect it to the power supply in the RV park, or am I again demonstrating that I shouldn't be messing with this stuff?
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:27am
As unlikely it might be to actually be a problem, I might just put in an inline 30 amp fuse, and carry a spare. If the fuse pops, something is wrong; go fix it. You could probably do that for $20 or so,
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:48am
What inline fuse holder would you use? 
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 10:51am
Originally posted by lostagain

Would something like this work, using a 50A rated pigtail to connect it to the power supply in the RV park, or am I again demonstrating that I shouldn't be messing with this stuff?

I looked at that one and thought it would be way to big and bulky to carry around. It is more like the RV outlet I installed at my house. Plus, one would need a way to have it waterproof with strain relief and then make sure it stays vertical so rain would not run in.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>