R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMattress Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mattress Advice
    Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 6:57am
We are odd ball members if that bizarre group that actually don't mind the standard r-pod mattress. That being said, ours is getting old and needs to be replaced.

Has anyone tried the apparently new 'mattress topper' as an alternative to getting a whole new mattress??

https://www.zinus.com/collections/mattresses/mattress-type_memory-foam

crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 8:36am
Greetings:  
I travel by myself and purchased a inner spring twin.  It's much easier to change the bedding and I installed a shelf behind it. I have a stereo system on the shelf and storage underneath.  It works great for me.  

Crankster78  R-179 
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
Motor7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 9:33am
We just ordered a folding 6" fullsized queen for the 176T from Amazon for $215:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W67PH2Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since the bed is North/South and hangs over the dinette we didn't need a short Queen....being 6'4 and the wife 5'11 a full length will be glorious. 
2016 R-Pod 176T
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 11:51am
So we might be classified with the "odd ball" category and also still have our RPod mattress.  We put a dense foam topper on it and also bought a mattress plush quilted cover to enclose the mattress and topper as one unit.  That seemed to do the trick for us.

Keep in mind, we are all different shapes and sizes with different definitions of comfort, so what works for one may not work for another! :-)

2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 12:47pm
Us too. We have always used relatively "firm" mattresses, and when we tent camp, plush to us is a thermarest, which is only 1" thick. The 6" mattress in the R-pod has seemed luxurious to us. 

We did have an old 2" thick semi-firm chunk of foam that was left over from the larger chunk that we used as a mattress in the back of the pickup that we put under the R-pod mattress. That is what does it for now. The original mattress has seemed to compress since we've gotten it, so I can foresee a time in the future when it will have to be replaced.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Wepod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 7:37am
Thanks all for the replies.    We used a memory foam topper on top of the old mattress but unfortunately the OEM mattress foam still broke down. We are using our pod about 10-12 weeks a year right now so that could be why the OEM mattress is going flat.

I was looking at the 8" zinus as a replacement for us as I don't go under the mattress but once a year to winterize. I am also planning on installing a access door from the outside and rerouting the plumbing valves near the pump so they can be reached to make winterizing easier.

Stephen I look forward to hearing about the 6" mattress as that may be a good option for us to
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 8:30am
Right now the 6" mattress is not working out very well as it is not expanding beyond 4". I already contacted Zinus' customer service. I will give it a couple of more days per the agent. If it still does not expand, I will contact Amazon to replace it. I may go for a refund and change brands, which would be too bad as my 10" Zinus is quite comfortable and is shortly going to be moved into our house for use there with a foam block to fill the space to make it a full queen length.

The issue may be that the mattress was manufactured in September 2018 and I ordered and received it in January 2019. The box states to unpack within 72 hours of receipt. That does not account for the four months of shipping and storage from when it was manufactured. The top memory foam portions seem to have expanded, but the base layer is the one that is still not expanded. I'll let you know more in a couple of days.

I really like the lighter weight and flexibility of the 6" mattress. An 8" mattress would be over 10 lbs heavier and stiffer. It would be a good choice as it still would be more flexible and lighter than the 10" mattress.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 9:18am
StephenH, dumb question, but are you heating your trailer interior during the expansion? If its cold in there it's going to take longer to expand and may not reach full expansion until things warm up. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 8:51pm
I have a heater in there, but it is not set for 70s, more like high 50s to low 60s. Maybe I'll bump it up and see if that helps.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Wepod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 7:21am
Stephen. How did you make out with the 6" mattress did it e ever expand all the way?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>