R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedload capacity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: load capacity
    Posted: 30 May 2010 at 8:20pm
I have a question, let me see if I can ask it with any intelligence.I have a new 171 with a load capacity of 1060lbs. I will be towing with a Ford Edge with factory installed tow. That part I have the numbers on. But it has been called to my attention that the 1060 lbs. INCLUDES the 2 people in it when it is unhitched and in use. I have been listing and weighting like a crazy person, only to have this brought up! I know I don't have to travel with 300 lbs of water and if I am hooked up it will not have the weight of the grey and black water.
Thank you ahead of time for some helpCry I hope a lot of you are OUT using your r.pod.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 11:11pm

Usually the load capacity includes a full tank of gas and the driver, so you start at 1060 and start subtracting any passengers and the load you stick in the back of the truck.  Don't forget to subtract the tongue weight of the 'pod, because that counts as load on the tow vehicle.

Don't confuse this with the towing capacity of the vehicle, that is a separate number which counts against everthing you put in the 'pod plus the 'pod itself.

Then there is the gross combined weight rating.  That is the maximum weight of the tow vehicle with load, and the 'pod with its load.  

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 12:32am
Thank you for the quick reply. After I read this for a while I might be able to understand it a little at a time. Thankfully the husband has a grasp of such. I may be tossing things out of the pod (when we do get it home)Cry before I even start loading.  About the time I THINK I am getting a handle on it something else pops up and I am back where I started. Disapprove But all this helps so much

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 10:29am

Just had a post written out and lost it into the ether. I am sorry if it comes through along with this one

A further defination for me
When you unhook your pod from the tow vehicle, park the pod.
Have it loaded within the 1060 lbs. load capacity
The weight of 2 people and small dog will exceed that load capacity when you walk into your pod.
Does this matter?
We don't want it to fall off its wheels when we walk inStar
gepaine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 3:11pm
Given the limited storage area in an R-POD, I doubt that you will exceed the 1060 lbs of load capacity unless you are planning on carrying some unusually heavy cargo (other than food, clothing, pots/pans, water, propane, a second battery, an air conditioner, and a microwave). Technically, I believe the 1060 lbs of load capacity would apply at all times - going down the road or setup in the campsite, so the weight of the people (and dog) would be included. However, I believe the load capacity is about how much weight the axle can safely bear, and if you are using front and rear stabilizers, they will take some of the campsite load off of the axle. I really don't think you need to worry about the load capacity (unless you are carrying gold or bricks or gold bricks).
Gene & Linda - 2007 Escalade - 24-Foot Keystone Cougar TT - Life is not just about gas mileage!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 7:21pm

mountain mist, I just realized your post said that the 171 had a load capacity of 1060.  I read it too fast and thought you were talking about your tow vehicle.  What I posted applies to the tow vehicle, just plug in the load rating for it.

As for the 'pod, don't worry too much about the load, as gepaine said you would really have to go nuts to overload it.  Your average load of food, sleeping bags, pots and plates is well below that rating.  If you travel with a full tank of water that adds about 300 pounds, so if the black water and gray water tanks are half full each, and you fill up on water, you've added 600+ pounds.  Best to keep the tanks empty (except the hot water heater which you should fill at home) unless you have to bring fresh water.

Don't worry about the total load with you inside at the campsite.  The weight rating is for going down the road when dynamic forces are at play - when every pothole puts several G's on the tires and axle.  Don't worry about inviting your friends inside for a card game.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 6:01pm
Thank you for really helpful information.
NOW, I have another question. Guess they don't stop.
Went to view our pod on back lot of dealer (tow vehicle picked up today, need to put some mileage on it before towing). Took some pictures.
I am speaking of the 171.
I had wished to put a toaster oven in one of the openings with mesh in front (the one I can reach). BUT , no outlet! The outlet is in the cabinet over the burners. One for microwave and on the oppostie wall the outlet for a tv. Now how in the world did this get done this way! A micro can not be put in that cabinet, it has the support for the doors in front. And get out of here, would have to have the door open for a tv.

Now I have looked at different posts. Some of you brave souls have drilled? in to the walls for various things. I am thinking a hole needs to be made INSIDE the cabinet (maybe taking the mircowave plate out?Through the common wall between the mesh cover hole and the upper cabinet holding the plugs. running a cord through it over to the far side of cabinet if there is a plug there with the tv hookup.
That way I can have my toaster oven of appropriate size in the mesh cover opening above the frig. Is there anything in the inside walls that would be messed up by drilling?
Are all 171's wired that way, inside a cabinet that can not be used. Why on earth were they done that way. Anyone with a logical explanation?
And just what do you use the plugs for that are on the front of the cabinet(under the stove eyes and sink) . Hardly seems safe to drap a cord over any of those.
I know I am being a grump, but any experience with fixing this problem will be much appreciated.
AND the dealer "knew nothing" Sure were happy to sell one, but ask a question and no one had a clue.
GRUMP OF THE DAYAngry
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 8:04pm
     We have a 171, the space above the refrigerator we use for clothing. I would be concerned about the heat from a toaster oven in this space. The outlets in the front of the kitchen cabinet we have used for different things. My wife has used the one in front of the stove for her hair dryer and the one in front of the sink we have used for our toaster which we place on the front of the table. As far as another outlet you can add them as we have but you need to be carefull not to exceed the limits of what wattage the gauge wire can handle. A toaster oven has a high wattage. We have enjoyed our 171 you will have a great time with it.          David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 9:19pm
Good call. I bet the heat from the toaster oven WOULD be too much for that space. I do not care for micro cooking that much, but I am not sure where one would be placed. There is a connection for one, but not in a logical place.
Wink
Anyone out there that uses one?
I guess you could put a wooden cutting board over the sink and set one there, using that plug in front of sink. The husband loves his biscuits and I do a lot of my cooking for 2 in the Summer in my toaster oven here. It would be more out in the open that way. 
Someone posted that they used laundry baskets under the bed for clothes and was room for a closed container for extra linens. I really like that idea.
I am looking forward to the day I can safely pull the pod. Never have towed anything, the car behind the motorhome does not count!

Thank you for the good advice.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 10:54pm
The space above the fridge is where the microwave / convection oven goes if you buy that option.  Both modes of operation produce a lot of heat, so I wouldn't worry about mounting a toaster oven in that space with lots of air space around it.  The power cords for the TV and microwave get routed through the walls.  The TV gets mounted under the cabinet to the right of the sink.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>