R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBAL leveler - Event Date: 14 Dec 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: BAL leveler
    Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 10:20pm
Before you start to bathe in PTFE lubricants take a look at the SDS.  I have a can of ZEP PTFE 45NC and the instructions on the can are enough to make you want to dress up in a hazmat suit to use it.  It's a very effective lubricant, but at the very least, use nitrile gloves when applying it in a well ventilated area and wash up well afterward.  This is not stuff you want to ingest.

On the other hand, if  you're already really old, the cancer may not have time to become terminal before you die of other causes.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 7:49am
State of California says apple juice is going to kill me.. seems we all die of something. I intend to be well lubed when I go.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 9:59am
And the State of California is probably right.  As it turns out, the state that has the 5th most successful economy in the world, ahead of Great Britain, has correctly pointed out that the amount of pesticide residue on apple skin is a serious problem.  So wash your apples well.

Yes, furpod, we will all die of something.  The question isn't whether we die, but when and from what.  Personally, I'd prefer not to die of a metastasized cancer of the liver or some other exquisitely painful and slow terminal disease.  

Having breathed way more than my share of asbestos, I feel that a little common sense, like using a dust mask or a cheap pair of nitrile gloves when needed, is a small inconvenience.  Deliberately exposing yourself to the chemicals in a PTFE lubricant, when it's avoidable, is just plain silly.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 8:23am
Originally posted by lostagain

And the State of California is probably right.  As it turns out, the state that has the 5th most successful economy in the world, ahead of Great Britain, has correctly pointed out that the amount of pesticide residue on apple skin is a serious problem.  So wash your apples well.
You might argue that those of you who don't live in California might be immune to their laws. LOL

Oh wait. I live in California. Embarrassed
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 10:15am
Maybe California is trying to protect its apple growers from those inferior, tasteless, mealy apples from Washington.  Confused

Uh oh, there is some serious post drift going on here.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 3:50pm
Greetings:
I will never enter the state of California again, along with a few other States.

Crankster78
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by crankster78

Greetings:
I will never enter the state of California again, along with a few other States.

Crankster78
Yeah, but how do you feel?
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 9:23pm
HMM   I think we`re kinda going on a continental drift here..
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 8:08am
Indeed, this is an excellent example of a 'post drift' that is best handled by private messaging so that the rest of us, who are uninterested in the discussion, aren't troubled.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 8:38am
Back to the topic at hand: While I still have my BAL leveler, I don't use it much. With the 179, it is hard to raise and involves a lot of cranking with the wrench. I did find that a breaker bar works better as it is longer and therefore has more leverage than the wrench. Plus, the supplied wrench slips and the ratcheting mechanism will randomly flip. A higher quality ratchet would work much better. As I previously stated, keeping it well lubed will help prevent spalling of the metal and siezing of the threads. I had concerns though that eventually, the threads would be insufficient to hold the weight of the slide-side of the 179 so now I am back to using my Andersen leveler while traveling and the stacking blocks while at home. My personal opinion is that the BAL leveler and similar devices are best suited for lightweight trailers under 2000 lbs. I also did not like the way that the platforms on which the tires sit do not stay level with the tires, but as they tilt, they are exerting a lateral force on the tire which could potentially contribute to bending the axle. If it only raised vertically, that would be different. However, it moves in an arc. The higher it is, the more inward force it is exerting also.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>