R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI need a course in R-Pod water Heater 1001

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TrinityTurret View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need a course in R-Pod water Heater 1001
    Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 6:17pm
Thanks again...we're ALMOST ready to relax, LOL...
There's only one way...
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by TrinityTurret

I noticed the anode rode hole is about an inch above the bottom of the heater...thusly, there is still about a half-inch of water in the heater. Will THAT AMOUNT of water cause any problems should it freeze up? If so, without some kind of pump, I can't get all the water out...

Never has caused a problem in ours.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 4:56pm
I noticed the anode rode hole is about an inch above the bottom of the heater...thusly, there is still about a half-inch of water in the heater. Will THAT AMOUNT of water cause any problems should it freeze up? If so, without some kind of pump, I can't get all the water out...
There's only one way...
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 4:52pm
If you want, you can just set you valves to winter/storage, and otherwise do your winterization now, and drain the WH when you get time. It is a solid 6 gallons of water, and while it freezing solid will be bad, unless you live pretty far north, it isn't going to stay below freezing, and be far enough below freezing to solidify a insulated 6 gallon container for a bit longer this year.
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 4:31pm
a blue button would be nice!!!!!!
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 4:07pm
Well, I TRIED to 'silicone' it....I had a tube of 'silicone', but it was 'silicone caulk', and even after waiting around for four hours, it is still like gooey toothpaste...so I'm gonna put tape and visquine all over it just to get the heater emptied before the winterizing (antifreeze). I was hoping there was a magic solution, like "press the blue button and that will divert the water heater dumping into the gray water tank", LOL :)
There's only one way...
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 4:04pm
Mine is heavily siliconed/caulked in those areas, I have not had any interior water problems from removing the anode rod.  and you mentioned it is coming out by the low water point drains, that seems to be along way for it to go.  i would try siliconing the area well.
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 3:42pm
When I remove the anode rod, the water pours into grooves of the outer rim..and seeps down along the inside of the Rpod, actually seeping out the sprayed-on foam around the low point drain. Is there any way to avoid this other than my ridiculous visquine and masking tape?

There's only one way...
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 5:54pm
Thumbs Up OOHHHHhhhhhhhhhh GOT IT, Mark, Sue, and Maggie!!! Thank you!!!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by TrinityTurret

Why, when I OPENED the middle valve, did water then flow through and come out my hot water faucet after I had filled my fresh water tank? It didn't seem to come out but 'air bubbles' & wheezing noises when I had that middle valve closed?

Because you created a shortened path for the water to follow, so it wasn't trying (as hard) to refill the WH. The blowing and wheezing you were experiencing was 6 gallons of air being pushed out of the empty WH by the incoming water.

Second part of this new question...when I winterize...I take it, then, the valve going IN to the heater, and the one coming OUT (the top and bottom valves) should be CLOSED, to prevent the antifreeze from entering the WH. I assume the middle valve should be 'open' to allow antifreeze to 'go around' the water heater---it really 'bypasses' the VALVES, and not the heater, because the valves are keeping antifreeze from entering the heater, right?

Well, yes.. but you don't bypass the valves.. you are forcing the water to BYPASS the WH. BTW, you CAN winterize, with antifreeze, without bypassing the WH.. It's how it was done "back in the day".. you just needed 10 gallons or more of anti freeze, so you could/would fill the WH..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>