R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedleak under bathroom sink

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: leak under bathroom sink
    Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 2:13pm
hello all,
So it seems i have the weirdest problems. I was winterizing my 2011 R178 and was rinsing the black water tank for the last time. I had the garden hose connected to the  tank sprayer system. I looked in the bathroom and noticed a drip below the sink (no domestic water connected). I looked up under the sink to find the leak coming from an odd looking plumbing part. It was a threaded 90deg elbow with hoses threaded on each end. Its black with a square cap that looks like a vent. It protrudes slightly from the wall cavity next to the sink drain trap.  I don't know how to post pics so I'm hoping someone has seen what I'm talking about. Can anyone tell me what it may be and how to replace it. It appears the leak (slight drip) is coming from the square cap section not the pipe threads. Thanks in advance for any help.
Mark & Vicki
R-POD 178 & 2015 Silverado 5.3L
Weimeraner "Zeke"
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 2:46pm
What you are referring to is the air gap/ back flow preventor for the sink.  A few years ago another podder near us had the same issue.  We went through all the connections and snugged them up a bit more, problem solved.  If that doesn't remedy your problem check the gaskets and o-rings on the air gap, they may not be seated properly or may need replacing (which would probably only be necessary if an owner before you had the same problem and overly tightened the fitting).  Also, your 178 has to be at least manufactured in 2013 or later, if they were made in 2011 we probably would have purchased one.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 2:57pm
If it is like the one in my picture, it is the black tank flush back flow protector.
I removed the sink in my 179.  I've not had time to post the mod yet, but had this picture of the valve.
Hope this helps.
Thanks
Jeff

Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 3:09pm
Thank you Wood River, looks a lot different from our 2011 model.  BTW  what do you use to post your pictures? Thanks
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 3:20pm
Jato,
I use the forum's standard https://postimages.org.  I only use that website for my rpod pics that I post.  Once I upload the photo, it gives me a web address for the photo.  Copy and paste it into the picture app here.  Easy as can be.  I don't even think you need to sign up/sign in at postimages.  
Hope that helps.
Thanks
Jeff
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
Markie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 7:57pm
I want to thank you both for posting replies. Wood River Pod, that pic looks like it. It makes sense to be a black tank back flow preventer. It was leaking during the flushing of the black tank.  As I mentioned it seems to be leaking from the square portion. The problem is access is very limited. The device barely protrudes from the wall cavity under the sink. Fortunately it protruded just enough that the water was dripping in the shower base rather than behind the wall.  I assume I will have to remove the sink to replace it.  I dont think I trust cleaning the original or perhaps repairing it. It will have to be replaced. I guess I'll have to contact Forrest River for a replacement. Are there any surprises when removing the sink? Also If I decide to remove the sink completely how do I seal up the hole in the wall? Thanks again for the replies. 

Mark & Vicki
R-POD 178 & 2015 Silverado 5.3L
Weimeraner "Zeke"
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 8:38pm
Fairly common to have it put  in backwards at factory. Happened to me, too.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22496

You can get another one from the manufacturer and install it correctly, but unfortunately 'stuff' will probably have so caked the outlet inside the black tank that it won't work anymore. Happened to me.

A powerful solution is to use the Camco dual flush or similar product with a valve that controls flow direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXubtIXjWfs

This thing cleans the tank and will clear any blockage.

jimandclare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 9:34pm
Markie,
Had a similar problem with a leaking valve. I removed it and found that 3 rather large stink bugs had taken up residence in the square section of the valve. Rather easy fix to clean them out and reinstall the valve. I put screening around the openings to keep the bugs out and haven't had any problems since.
Jim & Clare
2016 R-pod 178
2014 Ford Edge
 Post Reply Post Reply