Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSnow Tires for year round use

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snow Tires for year round use
    Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 1:15pm
Yesterday, as I went through the November ritual of taking off my summer tires and replacing with my winter snow tires a neighbor down the road pulled up my drive and asked what kind of tires I was using for winter.  I told him Michelin Latitude X-Ice, and he promptly showed me the exact same tires (except for the size) on his newer Lexus.  I was nonplussed (watch out for the spelling police) at this point until he asked me, "Why not leave those on your Explorer year round?"  He then added that he knows of two other members of the car club of which he is a member use the same tire on their pick-up trucks  . . . .yes, you guessed it, year round.

So, neighbors, mostly north of the Mason-Dixon line, who use snow tires, what do you think?  Do any of you use snows year round?  I am amazed at this particular tire because with most snows the rubber gets quite hard the lower the temps fall.  With the particular brand I have the rubber is still quite "grippy" and "sticky" even at -28C.  And BTW my neighbor claims to have 45,000 miles on his Michelin Latitude X-Ice so far, and they still appear to have a lot of life left in them. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 3:06pm
Out here in Idaho we go with studded snow tires on the family truckster.  Legally there is a date range that they can be used.  Outside that range and your getting a ticket.  I'll let someone smarter than me on tire comment on the year use. 
I'm worthless on tires...I'm still perplexed with what to do about the 235 75 15's on my HR179 that have no replacement expect for 225's.   
Personally, I'd love not changing out tires in the winter ans spring.
Thanks
Jeff
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 4:58pm

Well, I have to admit to not keeping my finger on the pulse of winter/snow tire development. The last set of snow tires that I had was a few decades ago. Back in those days, they were kind of "knobby" looking affairs that looked more appropriate to, perhaps, farm equipment. They were to be changed with the season changes.

However, there were a few folks that either:

1. Were oblivious to the fact that they were driving year 'round on these knobby affairs - thus projecting a huge image of "un-coolness" or,

2. Their modest discretionary income was not spent on changing back to summer tires but, instead spent on extra games of Pac Man.

I'm sure nobody on the forum would fall into either or both of these categories.   

That said, I am glad you brought it up. I'll likely be shopping for new tires in the coming months and need to begin researching.

tcj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 6:24pm

We have plenty of days with snow and ice on the roads here throughout the winter.  I have Bridgestonen Dueler H/T 685 all season on my Toyota Tacoma 4 X 4.  I leave them on year round.  It gets around fine.
Here's a good article on the difference between Winter snow tires and all season tires.

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-and-trend/drivers-ed/winter-snow-tires-vs-all-season-tires
2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 7:32am
Originally posted by tcj

We have plenty of days with snow and ice on the roads here throughout the winter.  I have Bridgestonen Dueler H/T 685 all season on my Toyota Tacoma 4 X 4.  I leave them on year round.  It gets around fine.
Here's a good article on the difference between Winter snow tires and all season tires.

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-and-trend/drivers-ed/winter-snow-tires-vs-all-season-tires

Interesting info. I suppose I assumed that the ritual of changing to "snow tires" had faded along with the prevalence of rear drive vehicles.

The snow tires of today don't "look" much different than all season tires, as I'm learning. Perhaps folks have been using them (in my neck of the woods) and I didn't even realize it.

crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 8:41am
greetings:

Yes you can leave snow tires on year around.  However they are meant to be used at lower temps than 45 F.  So they will wear out faster.  I have an extra set of rims, put them on towards the end of Oct. and take them off in early April.  so I get 3 to 4 years of use out of them.  I have a 2wd truck,  If you have a 4wd and use them off road, leave them on.  You can most likely afford tires more often anyway.  I make a point of looking at tires at the supermarket parking lots.  I'm amazed at the number of cars and trucks with worn out tires.  It's no wonder we have so accidents.  

Crankster78
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 10:14am
On my truck I have Goodyear AT Wrangler Trail Runner light truck tires [overkill for a Dakota] that have the mountain snowflake symbol on them.  The manufacturer says they're legal in Quebec as winter driving tires, but I suspect it's based on the aggressive tread pattern rather than a softer rubber compound.  I run them year round as we are often on dirt roads where I want the extra traction.  

Since the trailer just gets pulled along behind, there's not much point in having anything but ST rated tires.  [There was a long debate about using non-ST tires with aggressive tread in another thread that many will recall.]  I figure I don't need aggressive tread tires on the trailer since everywhere I'm likely to go in the winter requires chains on both the truck and trailer if it's too snowy no matter what tires you have.  If chains are required, I'll just wait until they take down the chain controls or stay home.  There is no way I'm going to wallow around in the snow putting tire chains on at my age.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 12:24pm
I presume you're talking about the TV and not the TT?

If that's what you're saying, and I lived in a northern state like Michigan or Minnesota, I'd probably opt for all season tires and call it a day. The actual amount of time that you really need the enhanced traction of a true "snow tire" is so small, that the benefits are somewhat debatable.

Where we are, we really only need the traction if we are traveling in the mountains during a snow event. We carry chains (cables actually) for that, and they don't get a lot of use.

When I lived in northern Minnesota, I did use snow tires, but 95% of the time, they were wearing themselves out on dry pavement.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

If that's what you're saying, and I lived in a northern state like Michigan or Minnesota, I'd probably opt for all season tires and call it a day. The actual amount of time that you really need the enhanced traction of a true "snow tire" is so small, that the benefits are somewhat debatable.

Where we are, we really only need the traction if we are traveling in the mountains during a snow event. We carry chains (cables actually) for that, and they don't get a lot of use.

When I lived in northern Minnesota, I did use snow tires, but 95% of the time, they were wearing themselves out on dry pavement.

This is one of the reasons I brought this topic up because I have been schooled that snow tires are just for winter driving.  I was amazed when my neighbor told me that he has been using his Michelin X-Ice snow tires for 3 years now, year round, and there is still plenty of life left in them even after 45,000 miles.  They don't look like they have worn down that much. 

Many times we have seen people stranded in our neck of the woods because they rely on all-season radials or have let them get too worn to the point they don't grip on snowy roads.  Even today with 6" of snow on our roads (maybe the county workers are playing too much euchre) there are cars in the ditch and numerous accidents.  Cannot blame all this on lack of roads plowed or non use of snow tires; most is probably due to driver error, driving too fast, texting, not paying attention to road conditions.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by jato

Many times we have seen people stranded in our neck of the woods because they rely on all-season radials or have let them get too worn to the point they don't grip on snowy roads.  Even today with 6" of snow on our roads (maybe the county workers are playing too much euchre) there are cars in the ditch and numerous accidents.  Cannot blame all this on lack of roads plowed or non use of snow tires; most is probably due to driver error, driving too fast, texting, not paying attention to road conditions.
When I was in college in northern Minnesota, I worked part time in a grocery store (Super Value, do those even exist any more?), but I digress (you have to watch me there).

At the time, I was living ~~ 15 miles north of town, and I'd have to drive that stretch snow, ice, or whatever. Made it every time with little or no drama. One of my co-workers drove about half that distance, and in fact I passed his house on the way into town. It never failed that when we had a little snow, or sometimes ice, he would find his way into a ditch and be late that day. I lost count how many times that happened, but it became a bit of a joke around the store. Nicest guy in the world, but he could not handle it when it got a little slippery.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>