Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRV 178 water dripping - exterior

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RV 178 water dripping - exterior
    Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 3:51am
One reason I got an rPod was so I wouldn't need the latrine. Most of the national forest cg's do have pit toilets anyway, that's about the only "amenity" they do have. 

I've spent enough time in developing countries that I never drink tap water anyway, even at home or in the pod. Bottled water in the pod and filtered at home. There used to be lots of places you couldn't get bottled water, or it was suspect, but beer and cola is pretty much everywhere. I learned early on that I much preferred to brush my teeth with beer than Coke.....Wink

BoulderGal, I think you've got your original problem under control, as in you have water and no active plumbing leaks. As mcarter says, no rush anymore on that.  An rPod is small but it still has pretty much all the same systems you have at home, ergo, it has similar maintenance requirements. 

The A/C leak could be due to the horizontal rain you tend to get on the OR coast. We get that horizontal rain in coastal NC too. The a/c cover comes off pretty easily if you can get a dry day without wind to get up on the roof. Clean out any leaves and crud that's gotten in there and be sure the condensation drain is open. That usually does it for me. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 10:10am
My fresh water tank gets sanitized. I use a Camco TastePure water filter when I fill it and then have been adding Camco TastePure Drinking Water Freshener (in reality, just a bleach solution) to the tank to make sure it stays sanitized. We have had no problems whatsoever drinking water from our fresh water tank. I also use a Camco TastePure water filter when connected to city water. I don't trust bottled water, especially if it has been sitting in a hot vehicle for any length of time. Those plastic bottles are not totally inert and I don't want to be drinking  what may be leaching from them into the water. Neither soda pop or beer are viable options to properly treated water.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 10:18am
its all a matter of what your available choices are. Soda and beer are extremely viable options if you're travelling in a remote part of West Africa and there is no bottled water available. I don't recommend them here in the US as a substitute for clean water. I'm fine with bottled water here though. Our water tanks are plastic too.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 10:28am
Soda pop = high sugar or mostly synthetic sweeteners for diet unless Stevia sweetened soda pop is purchased. Either are expensive ways to get hydration. Beer contains alcohol and can't be legally consumed going down he road in most if not all jurisdictions. In other countries, one may need to go with those alternatives but in the US, safe drinking water is almost always available making bottled water a choice rather than a necessity. One could use a Brita or Pur pitcher to filter the water from the tank or the city water for drinking. Either will be less costly than bottled water. The only thing that keeps me from getting one of them is that I have not found one that would fit in the refrigerator without taking up too much space.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 10:43am
No diet soda in developing countries, everyone looks at you like you're out of your mind when you try to  describe it to them. Yep, expensive but much better than dysentery. Besides, I always travelled on an expense account so no worries.... 

In the pod I just use the 2-1/2 gallon water bottles with built in dispenser, one sits on the counter next to the door, the expense is really insignificant in the overall scheme of things. When travelling they go in the right rear storage area under the slove in the 179, helps reduce the tongue weight!

Liquids don't have to be cold to hydrate, I generally just don't worry about that. Trying to cool very much water or make much ice is beyond the capabilities of our absorption fridges anyway, especially in warm weather. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 10:52am
We keep 2 2.5 gal. water dispensers right above the sink for our consumable water.  Can easily fill as needed, from a small stock of jugs of filtered tap water from home or in the Forest Service Campgrounds, which usually have fresh spring water tested several times a year.  [out here in the west]
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 10:57am
In WV you can get water from old school manual jack pumps in some of the campgrounds. Supposedly they test them monthly but I saw how the did it and I wasn't impressed. A guy came by one day, removed a bolt on the pump base and poured a pint of bleach down the well. He came back the next day and drew the test sample.

Hmmm...Think I'll stick with my store bought 2 1/2 gallon dispensers...
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 11:37am
I think the Forest Service is a little more scrupulous in testing here in the west.  They do a pretty thorough test and are quick to quarantine if it doesn't come out clean.  If anything they err on the side of being overly cautious.  Sierra snow runoff is generally pretty clean.  

The testing of San Francisco and Oakland water, from the Sierras, is way cleaner than most bottled water.  I went to a bottling plant in SF back in the early 70's to get some 5 gal. glass jars to make beer and found them filling the water bottles from a regular tap water source.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 12:28pm
This is the forest service in WV I'm talking about too. If they have different water standards in different states then that would be a bit of an issue I think. But anyhow, I'm not worrying about it, got lots of other things that are more significant to deal with Tongue.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 2:41pm
I think they follow the state standards in each state, which would explain why one should not drink the water in camp grounds in some states.  We carry a filter that is pretty good if the water is not contaminated with bacteria.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>