R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Floor Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote cbardy58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor Repair
    Posted: 03 May 2022 at 10:48am
I am in the exact same boat and looking for solid info on how to go about the repair. The  FR videos on "floor" construction do not help.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 5:45am
If you have significant floor damage/sagging around the perimeter you have to find a way to lift the walls off the floor and replace the lauan plywood in the floor sandwich. I don't know any other alternative because the floor sandwich supports the walls. Granted that its not fun or easy.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
ChewadaJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ChewadaJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 10:59am
To some degree yes, but the walls sit on the frame, and the floor is connected to the frame. I don't remember the walls sitting on the floors.
What I did was tear out off the floors and the walls half way up the walls in the back to find the leak (rear window of course) and to get it dry. I am in the SE, so that's the hard part when I don't have a car port to put it under. It took forever.

I found some thin laminate I was using for the wall replacement, with new insulation behind it.

For the floors, I put in new press styrofoam.  Then put a 1/4' ply wood over the top of everything. My plans was to weld some metal supports, or maybe bolt some supports in below for extra support since the floor wasn't as firm as before. But the foam and plywood seemed to work.

I had a leak up front too on the seams on the sides, so I had to take out the walls on the curved front wall. That was going to be tricky. Between having it i storage that was 20m away, no power, no cover, not enough time...I just couldn't finish it. I sold mine to a carpenter who was set up for the project much better than me. I did all the hard work though of sealing it all back up and tearing out all the mold!

It's doable to fix them. I'm not sure if I'd take mine cross country until I saw how it went on short trips. I bought mine used, and it didn't figure out the leak situation until much too late. It was in really bad shape. I think I deleted all my pictures of the project already unfortunately. I'm happy to talk you through what I did if you want to chat sometime.
marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 6:29pm
When FR gets the undercarriage the first thing they do is put down the floor, the lino then the walls. If they put the walls up first, the floor would be floating all around the perimeter.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

ChewadaJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ChewadaJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 8:49am
True, but when I tore up the floor, I saw the metal framing around each section. The walls are famed, as is the floor The frames touch each other. So I was able to rip up everything and replace the material between the metal frame sections. 
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 12:33pm
The problem is that the floor structural strength resides primarily in the laminated plywood/foam sandwich, which acts much like a structural insulated panel (SIP). The floor metal framing is not where the strength is. So if water damage has compromised the floor panel the edges of the floor which cantilever out past the main rails (which are inboard) will sag under the load imposed on them by the walls.

Many folks have reported this problem abd some have even had the floor metal framing spot welds break.

So even if you get in there and replace foam and plywood you should add outriggers underneath to support the floor. There isn't any way to effectively recreate the laminated sandwich construction of the original continuous floor when patching in foam and plywood.

Probably it would be as effective and much easier just to jack up the walls and floor till things are level, install outriggers and underfloor bracing as required, pull up the vinyl, let the floor dry out, then lay down a new layer of plywood, new finish flooring, and be done with it.

You can use a moisture meter to ensure the old floor is dried out. Even in the southeast running the air conditioner and a space heater simultaneously (so the air in the trailer has as low humidity as possible) for a month or so ought to do it.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
ChewadaJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ChewadaJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 12:45pm
My solution was to use a thinker board on top that covered a larger area. I lost about a 1/2' of height. And secured the floor to the metal frame in several spaces, used some 2"x2"s where needed. Again, I was going for more shorter towing and I didn't have a garage to work in. The floor was stable for 2 people to walk on. No problem there.

What I learned is that R pods are not meant to be repaired. Short term gain with them I think. Long term pain.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 1:07pm
Id still suggest adding the outriggers under there, the wall loads need to be carried back to the frame rails, and half inch of plywood and a few thin pieces of floor metal wont do that. It's not the weight of a couple of people, it's the loads (and 2 plus g's bump loads) from the entire wall and roof structures and everything attached to them.

I agree with you about the rpod throw away design. Cheap and light but not something anyone should expect to last very long. One reason I sold mine since I wasnt expecting to be able to use it for a few years. I'd rather just get another trailer when I need one again rather than try to maintain one in storage for several years in a humid environment.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
ChewadaJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ChewadaJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 1:29pm
100% agree with the outriggers. I felt like drilling and bolting was easier than welding bc of having to move the black bottom.

Good luck out there everyone!
Thomasandrews628 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Thomasandrews628 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 8:07pm
What thickness is the subfloor supposed to be?My Rpod 176 is shot in the back of the bed area below the back window.Never done this before nor am I am experienced carpenter by no means.Thanks for you input.
TA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>