R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Floor Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Racerdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor Repair
    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 5:07pm
Will start adventure tomorrow

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 5:25pm
Best of luck. your favorite adult beverage might help Smile
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
crw8sr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote crw8sr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 2:25pm
Please take plenty if pictures and document your process; it could help someone else tackle the same problem and other members maybe able to give advice.  
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
crw8sr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote crw8sr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 2:25pm
Oh.......and good luck.
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
Racerdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Racerdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 4:09pm
Thanks everyone for the encouragement and when I start I will take pics to document the process.  Time to consider a vacation... somewhere hot and no brain strain
DenisP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DenisP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 7:01pm
I purchased a 2010 171 last December and found that once the weather warmed and the floor thawed we had a "soft floor". I removed all the linoleum flooring and placed a large dehumidifier in the R-Pod and dried out all compartments.  I found the floor was delaminated in many areas due to multiple access points.  I fixed all the leaks including the basement doors, the shore power outlet and the largest repair was the front seams bottom and sides with larger fasteners.  I removed the delaminated luan plywood and in main areas down to the membrane.  I added stainless steel braces, cedar stringers, and replaced the plywood with epoxied luan and the foam with rigid foam panels.  Once the floor was reinforced, subfloor replaced where needed I added additional epoxied plywood before adding waterproof vinyl plank flooring.
The end result was a stronger, very dry R-Pod which was attractive and should last for many more years. The repair exceeded $600 in materials and approximately 80 hours. My experience with boat repair and construction methods was very helpful.
 I would be willing to share more specifics outside this forum.  First and foremost finding the source of the water and sealing the R-Pod must be done or any repair work will be for nothing in a short time frame.
T@b 400 with solar
Formerly 2010 171
2013 Tundra TRD
ChewadaJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ChewadaJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 12:19pm
Denis,

I'm attempting a similar repair on my rpod.  The whole top layer of plywood is pretty much worthless.  I can tell from underneath where the bellyboard (black waterproof layer, not sure what else to call it) has come loose, the bottom layer of plywood is rotten in a few spots, but not all over.  I have several questions about how you worked around the bolts joining the floor to the frame, how you put the bottom layer of plywood back in, etc....Could I contact you through DM or give you my number to give me a shout sometime? 

Thanks in advance!

cbardy58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote cbardy58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 3:47pm
Hi Denis,

I have a 2015 178, which I bought last fall. I found a very soft floor in the rear under the bed and pull the linoleum up and found rotted plywood. I also pulled a small piece of the foam out and the underside is rotted too. I imagine I will need to replace the sub floor, on top and under, from the slide out to the rear. Do you have any help on how to go about doing this? I am a pretty handy guy and can handle just about any project. I have a plan in mind, just thought I would get advice from someone with experience.

Thank you!
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 6:08pm
It will be a challenging project.  Everything above the plane of the floor is mounted on the floor, so replacing the floor is a bit like replacing the foundation of a house.  Here are a couple videos of how they are built that may help in coming up with a repair strategy.  The second video is from a 2014 build, which is really not much different from the 2015.  Good luck.

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
ChewadaJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ChewadaJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 6:12pm
Denis, it's a pain. I got 50% through the rebuild and sold it cheap because it was a bigger project than I could handle, having to store it in a lot where I had to drive to work on it.

You have to fine where the leak came from. In the rear, my guess would be the window. That means you'll have to take off the wall partially too. Get a humidity tester. Get it under cover, and find the leak. Then start ripping it down to the bones. You might not need to rip out the foam and subfloor if not to damaged.

The thing to remember is how the R pod is built. The floor is a plyboard/foam/plyboard layered thing that is glued together for lightness and strength. Anything you'll do won't be as strong, so you'll need to build it back a bit better.

Let me know what other questions you have, and good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>