Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew R-Pod 179 Owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New R-Pod 179 Owner
    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 12:30pm
    Just picked up a 2019 10th Anniversary Edition 179 at Keystone MegaRV Center, Greencastle, PA.  Towing with a 2017 Jeep Cherokee Overland and dealer installed a Prodigy RF Brake Controller.   First time buying at Keystone and I highly recommend and ask for Rebecca.  Junior at Keystone does a ton of user video's on YouTube which are both educational and funny.  

This is our 5th RV and we've camped in a pop-up, travel trailer, 4th Wheel and 43' Diesel Pusher.  Getting older and decided to downsize.  

Looking forward to camping our new Pod!  

Dave
Dave
2019 R-Pod 179 10th Anniversary Edition
2017 Jeep Cherokee Overland
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 4:24pm
Welcome Djdave. You'll enjoy your Pod and will get into a lot of places the diesel pusher couldn't.
It looks though like the Cherokee Overland only has a 2000 lb tow rating, is that really right? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 4:33pm
I don't think so, they have a Class III package and a HD package available, the III package is 6200 and their HD is 7200. Depends on the website you look at.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 4:39pm
Yah, looks like there are both a Cherokee Overland and also a Grand Cherokee Overland, hopefully Djdave has the latter. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 5:12pm
Welcome and Congratulations. We have not owned the variety of RVs you have, just our RP179. My wife and I have traveled a lot with it, most recently to the Kentucky MiniMini which was hosting the R-Pod 10th Anniversary Rally. I've done a number of modifications to ours, some of which might be useful to you (see link in signature). I hope you enjoy your R-Pod as much as we enjoy ours.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Djdave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 5:58pm
Hi Folks,

I was also concerned about the towing capacity but we can tow 4,500 pounds.  By entering the VIN into the Mopar site, it provides a ton of information including the towing capacity which says 4,500 pounds.  We have the Jeep Cherokee Overland 4 x 4 and not the Jeep Grand Cherokee although if I had to do it over again, we would have bought the Grand Cherokee.  But we have a motorhome (which we still have and trying to sell), so I wasn't concerned about towing at the time when buying the Jeep.  I had (and sold) a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Sport which I towed behind the MH.  

The site also states that our Jeep has both an auxiliary transmission oil cooler and engine oil cooler.  It lists the final drive ratio at 3.517 which from my research comes with the tow package.   Also, verified the owner's manual and had the Jeep Dealer install a Class III hitch and wiring.  The RV dealer installed a Equal-I-zer E2 weight distribution hitch and sway control although the Mopar site says that we have sway control on the Jeep but not sure what that means. 

On the Jeep site here http://www-5.jeep.com/en/jeep-capabilities/towing/#Cherokee4Tab  we have the Pentastar 3.2L V6 24V VVT with ESS which was verified on the Mopar site for our specific Jeep.  The Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland has a little more horsepower and torque with a max towing of 6,200.  

Having towed a travel trailer and 5th Wheel, the later with a 2008 Ford F450, I'm very sensitive to vehicle towing capacity although with the F450 I could tow a wide range of RV's.  The last thing that I want to do is to tow unsafely and put both my wife and I and others in a dangerous situation.  

Thanks!
Dave

Dave
Djdave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 6:01pm
Thanks Stephen!

I reviewed all of your mod's and you are very talented!  Not sure I could tackle the ones you have done.  The only mod I'm going to do is to add a flexible solar panel and controller.  It's already wired for a solar panel with the connections on the roof and a place for the controller.  Checking the battery, there is two black and red wires, so I'm assuming one set is run up into the POD right where I can install the controller.  

Thanks for the post!

Dave
Dave
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 8:24pm
Djdave, glad to hear you have 4500 lbs capacity, but that is still pretty close depending on how you load the trailer and the tow vehicle. Its surprising how quickly the weight builds up, as I'm sure you know from experience with your other RV's. 

My 179 goes out at about 3900 lbs with about 570 tongue weight, with dual batteries, single propane, and a full fresh water tank. I have a Toyota Highlander with a 5000 lb tow rating and wd hitch.  I carry basically nothing but my wife and I in the tow vehicle and I'm comfortable towing but really wouldn't want to push it any further. 

If you haven't already, you should also check the gross combined vehicle weight and individual axle loads. You can use a commercial scale to get the actual weights the way you plan to load. Here is a nice calculator that takes into account the effects of the wd hitch.

https://www.ajdesigner.com/apptrailertow/weightdistributionhitch.php

Not sure where they're expecting you to put the solar charge controller in the new pods, but you can connect to the battery conductors anywhere and it will work fine. Best to install a fuse though if they don't already provide for one. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 8:28pm
To tell you the truth, I did not think I could have done some of them myself. I have learned a lot by doing (with the help of Google and YouTube). That is also why there are version 2 of some mods. Smile
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 8:48pm
Welcome! We love our 179, and really enjoy and appreciate this forum. I'm betting you will too.
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>