2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Djdave View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 5:58pm
Thanks for the advice and link.  After talking it over with the wife, we are thinking about getting a truck to pull the RPOD.  Still in the research phase but probably going to get another diesel.  Sure, it will be overkill for the POD but you only live once!
Dave
2019 R-Pod 179 10th Anniversary Edition
2017 Jeep Cherokee Overland
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 6:18pm
Djdave, I agree and think you'll be more comfortable towing with a truck. You obviously have a lot of experience RV'ing with larger rigs so it will feel more like what you're used to. A halt ton with a tow package will do a great job for you. But off course, you could always go bigger too Smile
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Djdave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 7:24pm
Off grid, I got spoiled when I had the Ford F450 and a 11000 pound 5th wheel.  Hardly knew it was back there.  We have our eye on a 2016 Nissan Titan XD Platinum Reserve with 5.0 Cummins Diesel with a tow capacity of over 11000 pounds. I think that should be sufficient to pull the POD!  Big smile

it’s a beautiful looking truck and the price is about right.  Trying to get the dealer to come down even more.  Waiting to get closer to the end of the month to see if they wheel and deal.  

And the best thing is that my wife likes the truck too and has approved the purchase!  Thumbs Up

Dave
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 4:26am
Yeah with an F450 I guess you can pretty much tow anything anywhere without worrying about it... The Nissan sounds like you should be able to do the same, just more pod sized. Cummins makes a great engine. 

In my case, I don't want to have a dedicated tow vehicle. Living on the OBX at 3 ft above sea level the less stuff that you own that can rust and that you have to find some high ground to park during storms the better off you are. 

So I wound up with the Highlander as about the lightest vehicle for towing a 179 that I felt comfortable with but the biggest car my wife felt comfortable with as a daily driver. I do have to watch the weights in the trailer and the Highlander but its not so maxed out that it makes me feel uncomfortable on the road.  If I had kids or other heavy gear I wanted to haul on trips then that would be a different story.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Djdave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 3:32pm
StephenH. 

I was going through the pictures of tow vehicles and several years ago, you said that you were towing with a 2014 Ford Escape with Ecoboost.  Do you still have it and how does it tow?  I looked up the tow ratings and it's at 3,500.  

As I've stated in my post, we are towing with a 2017 Jeep Cherokee Overland with a max towing of 4,500.  I'm a little concerned that after my wife and I get in the car and we load up the POD, we are getting close to about 3,700.  I do need to weight it and we do have a WD bar.

Thanks!
   Dave
Dave
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 3:45pm
Actually, it was a 2016 Escape. We had an accident where we hit ice with a strong cross-wind in Wyoming. We had to purchase a replacement vehicle to get us and our R-Pod home. After the Escape was repaired, we sold it to CarMax (took a huge hit in depreciation loss, but since we were paying much more than needed, we got enough to pay off the loan). It performed well. The shorter distance between the center of the rear axle to the hitch ball meant that the trailer exerted less force on the Escape than we feel with the Frontier which has two more feet between the axle and tow ball than the Escape had. I'm not of the school that the tow vehicle has to be longer than the trailer. After all, look at tractor-trailer rigs going down the road. The trailers are much longer than the cabs on those. It is actually advantageous when backing to have a longer trailer than tow vehicle.
More towing capacity would be nice, but you should be okay with your Jeep Cherokee Overland. If it is front wheel drive, you will absolutely need a weight distribution hitch to make sure you have sufficient force on your front wheels. If it is rear wheel drive, you are okay. If it is 4 wheel drive, even better.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 5:59pm
It would take a couple of hours but the way to know for sure is to load up the Cherokee as you plan to, put the wd hitch on it and take it over a public scale without the pod. Get weights on the front axle by itself and then on both axles so you also know the rear axle weight (total - front axle = rear axle).  Then go get the pod (fully loaded also) and run over the scale axle by axle again to get all three axle weights (wd hitch should NOT be tensioned for this). The tongue weight will be the difference between the tow vehicle with and without the trailer (as long as the wd hitch is not tensioned). Then put all the actual measured axle weights, dimensions and the weight limits (gcvwr, each tow vehicle max axle wt, tongue wt, trailer gvwr, and trailer max axle wt) in the towing calculator.  Then add tension to the wd hitch in the calculator until the front axle is back to the weight it was without the trailer. See if that brings everything within specs with a reasonable safety reserve. If it does, tension the wd hitch until the height of the front fenders is the same as without the pod and camp on!

I did this and ended up leaving some gear out of the Highlander and then feeling fine towing knowing all is good with my tow vehicle. I found though that with my normal load and the wd hitch tensioned that the trailer axle (3500 lbs max) is pretty close to its limits. So I'm buying higher capacity tires and 15 inch wheels for it.  Some folks don't think the wd hitch increases the trailer axle load, but it for sure does. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Djdave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 7:02pm
Offgrid - thanks for the post and instructions on how to weight.  To best honest, with the F450, I never worried about it for obvious reasons.  

Although I thought I did the research on the Cherokee, I think you are right in that actual weights are the only way to get a true picture. I also appreciate the link to the site to enter the weights.  That will really help!

But, if I'm able to buy the Nissan Titan XD Diesel, I'm certainly not going to worry about it! 

Dave
Dave
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 2:38am
Yes, to be sure, having a tow vehicle large enough to not have to worry about it is easier. But after you've done the weighing process one time and you know what you have you'll never have to do it again, at least not until you decide to do some major mods Wink

If you've already decided to get the Nissan then of course don't bother but if you're on the fence I think after doing the weight checks you will know what to do, either you'll be feeling more comfortable with the Cherokee or less. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>