R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHot water heater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot water heater
    Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 11:08am
Maybe I don’t understand how my hot water heater is supposed to work. I have a rocker switch on the control panel that says water heater. I have another switch out behind the panel outside that is an off and on switch. I assumed that when I turn the switch of on the inside control panel that meant the the water heater was off. Not the case we plugged in the other night and filled the water system. The switch on the hot water heater was on but the switch on the inside panel was off. About an hour later we had hot water. What’s up with this? Is this how it should be functioning?
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 11:21am
Join the club on the confusion on this topic. 

The water heater has two heat sources, propane and ac electric. The wall switch is for propane water heating. The outside one is for the ac electric element. They are completely independent systems. If you want you can just leave the outside switch on and use the dedicated water heater circuit breaker in the panel to turn the ac element on and off.  What you don't want to do is leave the ac element on with the water heater drained (say for winterization). 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 11:40am
For those of you that have not downloaded the Suburban Water Heater Manual, here is a link. I have these type info sources in a 3" binder I carry with the Pod.

https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf3/61/6016/601578-suburban/sw6d.pdf?c29abd359864d3ff7d92fe3dbeff3dfe
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 12:20pm
D&K, this issue is discussed in the thread entitled "A Disappointing Surprise with the Water Heater."

Real quick and dirty:  
1. The water heater has two independent heating systems.  The gas system is operated with a switch inside the coach located on the front of the galley and in newer models in the shower.  The switch(s) only operates the gas system.  
2,  The electric heating element is controlled by a rocker switch on the water heater and by a AC circuit breaker in your FMCO electric panel (sometime labeled, sometimes not).  The rocker switch is located outside the trailer on the lower left hand quadrant of the water heater behind the access door.  

The older manual, at least from 2009, does not discuss the operation of the gas vs. electric water heater operation.  In the Surbuban manual, on page 8, are the instructions for the gas and electric switches.  There is no diagram showing the location of the electric switch nor is there any mention of there being any other possible switches, such as the circuit breaker. There is a note that one can damage the heating element by running it with the tank empty.

For people who are very mechanical, such as many members of this board, the operation of the water heater is simple.  One familiarizes him/herself with the circuits and switches and realizes that the two electric switches (the rocker switch on the outside and the circuit breaker in the FMCO panel) control the electric system and that the gas operation is entirely separate and everything works fine.  For those who are less mechanically inclined and those who have been misinformed by dealers or others, the situation is more problematic.  Many people do not realize that the gas and electric systems operate independently and that the obvious switches only control the gas part of the system.  This is a completely avoidable problem if the breakers are adequately labeled and the user manual adequately describes the operation of the water heater gas and electric heating systems.  Sadly for many, the descriptions are missing or are inadequate, and they end up inadvertently burning up their electric heating element.

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 4:18pm
I can't disagree with lostagain. I will say this - on every Pod forum not including Facebook. The ARCHIVES have a slew of information on the switch(s) and operation of the WH. Posts on this forum alone go back 8 years or more. I use the archives all the time, it's an amazing resource, under utilized in my opinion.
Mike Carter
2015 178
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 4:37pm
BTW, just to clear up a point, it is not a hot water heater, its a cold water heater. If the water was already hot you wouldn't need to heat it.LOL
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 4:43pm
Henny Offgrid.:) Take my wife - Please.
Mike Carter
2015 178
D&K Davis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 4:51pm
Thanks plodders. That clears that up.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 6:01pm
Offgrid, I don't want to give you a bad time, well really I can't resist Wink, the "hot" water heater heats the water that comes out of the hot water side of the faucet, thus the nomenclature that it is a hot water heater is just fine since it heats the water labeled "Hot."  It, like switches, is a bit redundant though.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 6:12pm
He he. I think perhaps you just perfectly captured the difference between the way an engineer and an attorney thinks about things. 

BTW, I hold a few patents (or actually my former employers do) and in the process got to know how good patent attorneys think. Now THERE are some really schizophrenic souls (any patent attorneys who happen to read this excluded of course). 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>