R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed179 Awning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
crw8sr View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 179 Awning
    Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 11:06am
Nice work.  I like our factory installed awning but would love the length and width of yours.  Not to mention the cost difference.
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 10:30pm
live 2camp—funny that you should mention MG fenders. Laura and I renovated a 1956 MG-A. Now, it had fenders!

I agree withyour earlier post about the sewing machine capability- take your time, go slow, use good thread and multiple lines of stitching.

Laura has made many utilitarian items duringour 45 years of outdoor life together. Clothing kits, sleeping bags, Vests, bags, curtains, pack repairs, etc. a sewing machine and a decent operator can do wonderful things.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 4:32pm
To add...vintage sewing machines are routinely available at garage- and estate sales, on-line, etc. People routinely all but give them away because "it doesn't work". In fact, they're like old vehicles that have been sitting. Clean them up, get rid of the old grease, add new grease and oil, etc. etc. There's a version of a Chilton manual for vintage mechanical machines that spells out everything. Well it's not called a Chilton, but you get the idea! Anyone who can manage a TV and a trailer, can maintain and care for a mechanical sewing machine (only trained technicians should work on the computerized ones). I hope this helps! Sewing machines are the original home appliance and really fit into an outdoors lifestyle. 
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 4:28pm
Generally you'll want a sturdy machine, a #16 [edit: or a #18, have both on hand] needle, a longer stitch, go slower and if possible a heavy-duty thread which can be purchased at stores such as Joann's Fabrics (or on-line). A sturdy machine is just about any U.S.A-, UK- or Japanese-made machine from any decade into the 1970s, or any Juki, Consew, Sailrite, etc. As much as anything the key is to go slower, longer stitch, etc. as described above. And probably release the presser-foot pressure a bit. The most common thing people do to throw off the timing and/or completely ruin a machine is to sew something thick and/or heavyweight by "punching it" instead of taking care. What kind of machine do you use?

Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 4:03pm
Very nice.

Do you need a special 'heavy duty' sewing machine to handle the keder welting??
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Pod People

Hello Live2camp
You are correct!! The sewing machine IS a 1969 Kenmore. We bought it as a floor model from our local Sears while we were still in college. It was a demo unit and we paid $69. We got a 10% discount because we opened a Sears charge account and that was our first purchase . It has been a good machine and Laura has done a ton of utility sewing with it. Ovviously we are still using it. Amazing that you noticed!
Vann

Well they're the only ones that look exactly like that. And since I too am the first owner (Christmas gift in high school from my parents) I know every nook and cranny of it, as I'm sure your Laura does. Another one that comes to mind as being unique at this level is the front fender of an MGA (like Kenmores, those who know them, know). Great story about your machine, and love it that it has a place in your RPod story. I'm betting we're not the only two households that have/will be sewing for our RPods with a vintage Kenmore! I also have a Sailrite, I use it for some things that my Kenmore would have no trouble with just to justify to myself having bought it (the Sailrite that is). Smile

I cannot imagine owning outdoors gear, RPod, etc. without having a sewing machine. I know others here have mentioned their machines too including Juki, etc. Keep having fun and thanks again for showing us the awning. 
backin15 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 6:54pm
Nice work! Thanks for sharing.
2015 179
2013 Xterra Pro 4X
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 3:18pm
Hello Live2camp
You are correct!!
The sewing machine IS a 1969 Kenmore. We bought it as a floor model from our local Sears while we were still in college. It was a demo unit and we paid $69. We got a 10% discount because we opened a Sears charge account and that was our first purchase .

It has been a good machine and Laura has done a ton of utility sewing with it. Ovviously we are still using it.
Amazing that you noticed!
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 3:02pm
Fantastic! And I love your sewing machine, a Kenmore, right? I have a 1969 and they are workhorses. Really love this awning, thanks for sharing and it looks like you'll be getting lots of enjoyment and utility out of it. I also love it that you can install it without a ladder Smile
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 6:23pm
Really nice work!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk