R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow long does an average 20 LP tank last?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How long does an average 20 LP tank last?
    Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 8:08am
Perhaps the confusion stems from this:

"Motorhomes, though, have installed ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) tanks, not DOT tanks.  ASME tanks are not required to be re-certified since they are permanently installed. But DOT/TC cylinders, both vertical and horizontal, because they can be removed, transported and filled independently, do qualify for periodic re-certification. Allpropane containers, tanks and cylinders, however, should be periodically inspected, cleaned and tested for leaks. All of which should be considered preventive maintenance common sense."

So, if you have a class A motorhome with a permanently installed propane tank, that is qualified under ASME standards. But our 20lb cylinders are qualified under DOT regs, and BBQ ones are the same, because they all wind up getting removed from their mountings and transported on the roads one way or the other. 

The recertification period is perhaps another reason to exchange tanks once in awhile. If you buy a new cylinder and hang onto it for 10 years you'll have to get it recertified, but if you exchange that should end up being Blue Rhino's (or another supplier's) problem. If I were to hang onto a cylinder here in the OBX for 10 years it would be a pile of uncertifiable rust...

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 8:20am
This just not true. All 20Lb LP tanks have to meet the same criteria for safety.
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 11:03am
Originally posted by offgrid

OldNeumanntapr, who told you that? BBQ tanks and the tanks you buy from an RV dealer are the same, ie,, meet the same specifications. The only difference is the RV dealer's markup.... 
I actually haven't had my tanks filled for years, I only swap.
Having the option to just swap tanks is a big benefit. If you're on the road, don't know the area and/or don't want to spend the time finding a place and waiting for them to refill your existing tank while your family is waiting for you in the car, you can be off to your camp in a few minutes. 
Or you may find that, as I have here on the OBX, the places that refill tanks charge the same as a swap. Why?, because they can...
So, if you have a local place you can refill inexpensively, great. But if not, like me, how to save $? I've found the best is to pull into a Walmart and get your tank swapped there while picking up any other needed supplies. Cost me $15 last time. 

Sorry, but I disagree. I would never put a BBQ tank on an RV.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 11:21am
What information do you find on the tank indicating RV or BBQ tanks?  Where do you find this data?  I examined the tank on my trailer and the one on my BBQ and find no difference.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 12:05pm
I had an Alaskan camper for years that had a externally-mounted five gallon LP tank. I had custom brackets made to install the tank on the truck frame. The tank looked just like a regular five gallon propane tank but was a LOT heavier!

A family friend owned a local RV repair shop and he told me that there was a difference between RV and BBQ tanks and you should never use a BBQ tank for external use on an RV.

Do what you want but I won’t ever substitute them.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 12:24pm
Ok, great, if you're right then I'm with you.  No one should want an inferior tank, including me.  So, in all seriousness, where would I buy one of these RV tanks? How would I know that I wasn't getting a BBQ one? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by OldNeumanntapr

I had an Alaskan camper for years that had a externally-mounted five gallon LP tank. I had custom brackets made to install the tank on the truck frame. The tank looked just like a regular five gallon propane tank but was a LOT heavier!

A family friend owned a local RV repair shop and he told me that there was a difference between RV and BBQ tanks and you should never use a BBQ tank for external use on an RV.

Do what you want but I won’t ever substitute them.

The only RV propane tanks I could find on the interweb are configured for permanent installation on an RV.  20 and 30 pound tanks are listed for RV or BBQ use.  Please show me the difference and where to get the RV tank.  If there is a difference I want the proper one.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 1:06pm
Exchange tanks may make maintenance somebody else's problem, but I have gotten some rather poor quality tanks in exchanges, including one which was leaking around the threads where the valve screws into the tank body. The two tanks I own that are used with my R-Pod both have gauges (not precise, but a general gauge of level) so if I were to exchange them, I would not get equivalent tanks in return. Plus, I know the age and condition of my tanks. When it comes time to recertify or replace them, I will likely replace them if I even still have the same setup at that time.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 1:38pm
I get the tanks re-filled at one of a few gas stations around here that offer the service.Works great; you pay just for the propane, and you get a full tank.

However, all 20 lb propane tanks that I've ever seen have an expiration date. When that date comes rolling around, I will swap it for a new tank. To date, I've either gotten Blue Rhino or Suburban, and ALL of the exchange tanks I've gotten were in like new condition without exception. Occasionally they are not completely full, but they've all been in excellent condition.

The exchange places are different from the fill places around here. Exchange places that we have are hardware stores and grocery stores.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 2:13pm
I have a special case I think, the corrosive environment here makes it better for me to exchange tanks frequently than to keep tanks for long periods. One less thing to try to keep from rusting. I don't own my household propane tank either, its been here 3 years this fall and its starting to look pretty bad.

But, if there really is a different spec'd tank I could get that was more robust for RV use I would certainly reconsider. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>