R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow long does an average 20 LP tank last?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How long does an average 20 LP tank last?
    Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 8:01pm
We are leaving for a trip to Starved Rock in Oct. It will get a bit chilly, I am going to run my furnace for the first time if needed at night. I will be on electric and water and the site. If I use my electric for water heater, and rarely use the stove. So how long does an average 20 LP tank last?
ENGINE 55,TRUCK 44,BATALLION 12
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 8:23pm
There's no good answer to that.  A few nights... a few months.  Somewhere in between usually.  If you have shore power, use a $20 electric heater from some place like Walmart though.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 8:36pm
We have run one tank for well over a month. However, we don't use a lot of hot water, and we typically only need the furnace for 30-40 minutes per day. As TT suggests, YMMV.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 8:51pm
If you are using the furnace in sub-freezing temperatures and running the refrigerator and running the stove and water heater (as needed), you may only get a couple of days out of a tank. If you are just running the refrigerator and occasionally the stove, a tank will last months. Reality is that your use does determine how long a tank will last.

Easy way to determine fuel level if your tank does not have a gauge is to heat some water and pour it over the tank. Wait a second or two and feel the tank, starting at the top. It will be warm at the top. When you get to where the liquid level is, it will be cold. You may actually be able to see the liquid level line. Or, you could purchase a stick on gauge so you don't have to feel it although you will still need to use hot water to activate the change to see the level. You could also purchase a gauge that either weighs the tank or reads through the tank wall to determine the level. It depends on how much you would want to spend. The hot water and feel the tank method is pretty cheap.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Shane View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 9:51am
thank you!
ENGINE 55,TRUCK 44,BATALLION 12
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 8:08pm
Another option my be to have a second 20# filled tank for a spare.  We normally camp in the shoulder months April-May and September-November when the temps are often cool and the furnace gets a real workout since we normally boondock, no electric available - as in our national parks.  Last year while in RMNP the night temps often were in the 40's, propane was also used for  HW and fridge. 
The tank was nearly full when we started the trip but on the way home, the tank had to be exchanged, so in that case we got 8 days out of the tank, but that was with pretty heavy usage.  None used during the day, turned furnace off while hiking.  Also, always try to fill at a hardware store or similar where they will FILL your tank.  Avoid going to gas stations where they offer Blue Rhino or similar where you pay a whole lot more to get a tank that is only 75% full.  Two days ago I filled my empty 20# tank that was empty for $ 14.50 at the neighborhood hardware store.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 10:53pm
+1 on the alternate places that fill your tank by the gallon and not a flat-rate. Most Camping World locations do so and you get a discount if you are a Good Sam member. Some Costco stores also fill propane tanks if you are a member. I am not a member, but I think BJ's is the same. We also have a spare propane tank so we are not at risk of running out. I try to keep close tabs and exchange when it is very low but before it runs out. The nearly empty tank can still supply propane to our Coleman grill-stove or lantern if needed.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
OldNeumanntapr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 11:24pm
Ah, I would refrain from a ‘tank exchange’ because from what I know of them they are for BBQs, and BBQ tanks are thin walled and not heavy gauge like an RV tank. A BBQ tank is not safe to use in place of an RV tank because it is not strong enough to ward off a direct hit from a rock.

You can get an in-line LP gauge for about $25 that goes between the tank and the regulator. That will show you how much gas you have left.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 3:56am
OldNeumanntapr, who told you that? BBQ tanks and the tanks you buy from an RV dealer are the same, ie,, meet the same specifications. The only difference is the RV dealer's markup.... 

I actually haven't had my tanks filled for years, I only swap.

Having the option to just swap tanks is a big benefit. If you're on the road, don't know the area and/or don't want to spend the time finding a place and waiting for them to refill your existing tank while your family is waiting for you in the car, you can be off to your camp in a few minutes. 

Or you may find that, as I have here on the OBX, the places that refill tanks charge the same as a swap. Why?, because they can...

So, if you have a local place you can refill inexpensively, great. But if not, like me, how to save $? I've found the best is to pull into a Walmart and get your tank swapped there while picking up any other needed supplies. Cost me $15 last time. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 7:41am
The admonition against swapping tanks seems too harsh to me.  Yes, it's probably a little more expensive than going someplace that will fill them, although the price difference isn't always that great.  Do whatever works for you and suits your convenience.  Just don't eat at restaurants when you're on the road.  Why would you?!  They charge way more than it would cost you to fix a meal in the Pod and you can eat as much as you want when you fix the food!

Yeah, and I never heard of a difference between BBQ tanks and RV tanks either.  I've never seen a label indicating a tank was one or the other.  This is new to me.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>