R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Dome vote

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Marchhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Dome vote
    Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 4:56pm
My rDome came with my rPod purchase deal, and drop shipped from FR. Our Dome would fall out of keder rail at times. Simple fix was to take vice grips and slightly crimp C Channel from one end to other permanently and now voila, works great. Perhaps this will work for you?
Outdoorsy Marc
2016 Rpod 179
2017 Kia Sorento SXL
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 4:21pm
We have had our 171 for 6 years, and one of the big reasons we bought it was because of the dome. We love the extra living space that protects us from the weather, and it only takes us 10-15 minutes to setup and take down while onsite. We did learn the hard way 2 years ago not to leave it up in 50 mph wind storms as our original dome was destroyed by one, and we immediately purchased another to replace it.

As for the question from "geewizard" on when the top rail change was, it was 2012-13 model year depending on model and eastern/western designation. If you call Forest River they will tell you exactly based on your make/model/year which one you have.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 8:37am
My first RDome experience wasn't so good.

I called a dealer in Missoula and found a green color RDome for a good price.  I made sure that it would fit my 2017.5 blue 177.  They assured me it was the right one several times.  So, as I went through Missoula on my way to my campspot, I stopped in and picked it up.

Got to my campsite and began setting up the RDome.  I slid the plastic part into the top rail about half way and it all fell out.  That's when I noticed the plastic part diameter was much smaller than the rail diameter.

So, it was NOT the right one for my Pod.  I called the dealer and they said just bring it back for a refund.

I've since read that the top rail diameter was changed from smaller to larger.  When did this occur?  I'd like to know so I can find the correct RDome for my Pod.

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 4:25pm
I'm a "dome-a-holic. I use that thing everytime i go out. so enjoyable sitting outside in rainstorms so carefree.  I like it so much, I just bought a clam pavilion. The pavilion is almost as good as the dome, but doesn't attach to the keder rail. It's 12 1/2 feet across and has zip up rain flies on all 6 sides.  It's great as a second outdoor bug free space, or if there is an obstruction preventing the dome from being set up. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 7:14am
Thanks!  That's a lot of good info to go along with previous posts.

Picking up a R Dome today.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
Marchhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 4:11pm
Dome is why we bought Rpod realizing it gets small inside camper. Negotiated for free from dealer, whats not to like about that?

More than doubles living space and we are outdoors all the time when camping and only sleep in fiberglass box. So versatile too. Can have sides up for clear view. Screens down if buggy, and completely zipped during unstable weather. Recently spent entire day under Dome while 7 inches of rain fell in Catskills. Entire outdoor living room stayed dry while the awning people were holed up in their box all day and spent next day drying their rug.

Several steps or mods we had to make. 1. Crimped keder rail slightly from one to other to make c channel tighter so Dome can't fall out. 2. Replaced cheap stakes with real camping stakes that stay secured in solid ground and make certain to stake down all the black loops. 3. Replace suction cups with heavy duty ones. 4. Put weights on black flaps on exterior bottom. We just use rocks from campsite, but other use gallon water jugs or other weights.

Dome becomes playpen for kids and pets and deters interest when away from Camp (zipped down). On year three and have never waterproofed or seam sealed. As long at tension tight on upper pools so no water pools, it never leaks. Stepladder crucial to feed Dome in track and to extend upper poles real tight. Have even cooled or heated Dome to take edge off, by leaving Pod door open.

It is wonderful.
Outdoorsy Marc
2016 Rpod 179
2017 Kia Sorento SXL
MoPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 12:31pm
We love our dome, but use a Clam also as additional space or substitute.  

Furpod, 
Nice to see Maggie in your video and a younger Micah.

Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by BVK

Originally posted by furpod

Originally posted by BVK

I hope I'm not muddying the water too much with my non-vote[...]

I will point out.. the whole.. "never used it but give it a down vote" bothers me.. but...

In my defense, I did say it was a non-vote, and I don't think I tried to persuade anybody one way or the other.

I look forward to giving it a shot this fall. Thanks for the insight!

You are correct.. my bad.. But I think, (and hope) that when you get a chance to use it, you find how versatile it is.

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 12:04pm
We are on our second pod and second dome! Wouldn’t be without it.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
BVK View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 10:14am
Originally posted by furpod

Originally posted by BVK

I hope I'm not muddying the water too much with my non-vote[...]

I will point out.. the whole.. "never used it but give it a down vote" bothers me.. but...

In my defense, I did say it was a non-vote, and I don't think I tried to persuade anybody one way or the other.

I look forward to giving it a shot this fall. Thanks for the insight!
2012 RP-171 HRE, 2006 F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>